For a load test, I always check our Aladdin System built into our coach.  It shows the voltage in real time.  In summer that means I watch the voltage as the air conditioners come on.  If it holds steady or drops only slightly we are OK.  We've been in parks where the voltage will drop from 120 to below 100 with one air conditioner on.  Alaska, Maine, Newfoundland are a couple of locations where this occurred.  In those cases, we either move to a new site or to a different park or we don't use the air conditioners.  When this happens it is a clear indication that the wiring is insufficient, either too small a wire for the amperage or too long a run (which requires larger wire size) from the supply to the post.  This should not be a problem in modern parks but those that are older it is a serious problem.  Park owners will try to tell you it is a problem with the electric company.  I tell them that I'm certain that the generators aren't suddenly lugging because I turned on my air conditioner!  The problem is 100% in the size of the wire in the campground.

Monitoring your voltage is a very good RV owner practice TBUTLER. If you don't have a built in voltage monitor there are devices that can be plugged in to a 110 socket that do that, including using ones volt meter by converting the leads to a male plug. In fact, I like the male plug as it makes a very tight secure connection compared to test leads.

Rodger S. 

Before I enter any coach I always check the coach with my non-contact voltage sniffer. It doesn't actually test for voltage...another discussion. If it suggests the possible presence of voltage I can followup with a direct hot skin test to verify. I did discover one hot skin coach before an inspection and one hot skin trailer at a dealership. The dealership was "shocked" to say the least. 

Rodger S. 

On August 23, 2016 at 11:30 AM, WhiteEagle said:

I have (since these diagrams) changed the analog line voltage meter our and use two small digital meters that fit side by side on the two top outlets...

By using this, have found a couple campgrounds using fake 50A circuits to a supposed 50A outlet.... and by watching this while in a receptacle on a source common to others, have discovered widely fluctuating voltages responsible for others having their system tripping, etc.

Obviously can be used on 30A receptacles also with an adapter and will tell same info except both sides would/should always read same.

White Eagle, can you provide a link to parts and instructions on how to build a tester like yours? That thing looks awesome, and having all that info before plugging in could be lifesaving. We have a hard wired surge protector, but this just adds to that.

Roger S, I appreciate the depth of your knowledge that you share here. 

Thanks to all. I'm learning a lot. 

Gary

4 hours ago, RodgerS said:

Here is a link to just such a tester:

http://www.myrv.us/electric/Pg/tester_50amp.htm

Rodger S. 

Gee that is nice, but it only works /gives you a status when plugged in. My Surgeguard does that and protects all the time, not just when I am watching and protects against hi and low events automatically.  

Bill

I have the EMS PT50C by Progressive Industries. Pricey but worth every penny.  Plug it in and it cycles through each leg of the pedestal power and displays voltage, then amps for each leg, then a status code of E-0 if everything is alright. Other error codes will come up if anything is wrong with the power.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

RogerS, thanks!! I think I will be able to build one from that. 

Bill, I have the Surgeguard, and it is hard wired in, so it works all the time. This gadget will give me more information than the Surgeguard will, and will do it before the coach ever touches the pedestal.

Wayne, I'll check out that one too.

Thanks!

6 hours ago, Gary E Shrout said:

Bill, I have the Surgeguard, and it is hard wired in, so it works all the time. This gadget will give me more information than the Surgeguard will, and will do it before the coach ever touches the pedestal.

Thanks!

That is exactly why I like my portable Surge Guard. I can test the power before getting the coach set up. several time I have had to find a different  site because the power wasn't right in the first spot. Much easier to carry the Surge Gard to the new site rather than moving the coach. So I do infact have a portable tester that won't pass power to the coach unless everything is right.

I hear people saying they don't need a Surge Gard because they test the power before they plug in. This is a false sense of security a it only gives you a snapshot of what the power is right now. Power supplies can fluctuate greatly in campgrounds.

Bill 

Bill, I also like the thought of testing the tower before it ever touched any part of my electrical system. I do the same with the portable unit and have also walked around testing towers. A built in unit will shut you down but often is not convenient to access or doesn't display why you are shut down. 

9 hours ago, Gary E Shrout said:

Thanks!

Gary,

Progressive Industries also makes the hardwired protectors. (EMS-HW50C)

BTW, The company stands behind their product.

Also, the PT or HW 50C will not pass power to the RV unless the circuit is okay. There is a display on the PT50C that cycles showing the condition of the circuit. (Voltage, amperage and status) It has about a 2 minute time delay while it checks the circuit. I like the portable one because it can be transferred between RV's without a hassle.