bburns8

Burnt Rubber Smell From New Front Tires

I replaced the two front steer tires on my MH with Michelin XRV 255/80R 22.5.  

I still have a set of 4 Toyo tires 265/75 22.5 on the rear.  I will be replacing the 4 rear tires with Michelin XRV 255/80R 22.5.

There is a burning rubber smell when driving my MH only since the Michelin XRV tires were put the front two steering tires a few days ago. 

Is this burning rubber smell normal?

Thank you.

Are you sure it's burnt rubber smell or new rubber smell.  If you ever walked into a tire warehouse you will know what I'm talking about.  

Yes, but not 100% sure.  I smell the new rubber smell outside the coach like in a tire warehouse.  When driving it smells different like burnt rubber or burnt wires.  The smell started since the tires were mounted.

Have you felt the tires for excessive heat, or looked for rubbing marks?  Electrical smell is different from rubber smell.  What was the size of the original front tire?

Carl 

bburns8! Thinking your coach has wet hubs on the front, though gear oil does not smell like rubber. Look and see if you have a leak in one of the front wheel seals.

How far do you drive before you smell the hot rubber? or after some heavy braking?

Hot running wheel bearings or a failed seal could be a possibility.

Rich.

Update: The burning smell when driving is now gone. I was concerned as I have never experienced this before with any new tires I have purchased.  Thanks everyone for responding and for the help.