raptor4070

2003 Beaver Baron: Filling Fresh Water Tank

I just picked up a 2003 Beaver Baron and I'm having trouble filling the fresh water tank.  The problem is that it does not fill. I opened the lever, connected the hose, turned on the water and nothing goes in the tank.

Could this be an issue with the water pump allowing water to pass into the tank? 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Capture.PNG

Edited by raptor4070
added picture

raptor4070,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Some coaches have a separate valve/lever for filling the potable water tank.

No, water pumps have a check valve to prevent water from flowing back into the tank.

If no one with a similar model chimes in, might give Monaco Corp a call with your vin.  Suspect their records go back to 2003.

The fresh water tank fill should not go through the water pump.  That should be prevented by a back flow valve.  If the lever on the valve you mention is turning the valve and the valve is operating properly, then you should be able to fill the tank unless there is some kind of shut-off at the tank also.  I'm not familiar with Beaver products specifically so someone who owns your model may have a suggestion.

Raptor, Hope you are not attempting to fill fresh water tank like I did "one senior moment" a few months back. Seems I quickly connected hose to outlet next to valve marked city water and tank fill and turned on the water. Little to no water was going in. Turned lever back and forth a few times and still nothing. Then the "light bulb in my grey head came on" I connected the water hose to the "Tank Flush" connection!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

I point this out only because Beaver is also a Monaco product and it is possible that without owners manual, you could have a similar set up. My water fill is only from the retractable hose reel on opposite side of panel from lever for city water/ tank fill. might want to attach photo of your service panel. 

Raptor,

Our setup (05 Monaco Windsor) is as John states above.  Fresh water fill to tank is via fresh water hose that supplies house water.  There is an Atwood two way valve that either sends water to the tank or to the coach systems.

We also have a waste tank clean out hose bib.  If you have that hooked up and water on without opening your sewer dump valves you'll have a nasty mess rather quickly.

We can also fill our fresh water tank by opening the cap of the tank and fill via hose.

Blake

I'm like Blake, plus there is a separate connection for city water hose in dump bay, that will fill fresh water tank by using a separate on/off lever...never used it.  It's faster to just place hose in the little door and fill as much as I want to carry.  Normally around 60 gallons.

Carl

I know of people that fill their water tank by hooking up the water hose turn on the water and wait for it to come out the overflow. They think doing that is the only way to completely fill their tank. Later they wonder if they have a leak because they are down at least a third. They don't understand that the overflow line will siphon down to the end of the tube.

Oh well, we live and learn.

Herman 

Herman.  You been there? :o  I have, I did not overfill, my DW did it while I was on my way back from Singapore.  The coach had a semi transparent water tank,  that was under the lower bunk bed and if too full it would bulge...it went down to 23 degrees that night...guess what I came home to? :angry::unsure:  That was the biggest home made, ice cube I had and still have seen! :lol: 

I know that this seems like a dumb question, but have moved the valve lever to the left so that it is horizontal with earth?

Look at the stem of the valve when you move it. Make shure the valve is moving and not just the handle. Get a mirror and look behind the panel and see how the pipes are routed and if there are any other hidden valves on the fill line.

Next question do you have water inside when hooked up to this fitting? 

New coaches are always fun. One thing you will need is a good water pressure regulator. 

Bill

Saw the picture.  Just wondering if you attach your water hose to the faucet fitting and turn the blue (witch normally indicates potable water) valve open, would fill the water tank?  Make sure DW or other is in coach to monitor what's going on!

Trace the pipe that goes back from the tank, it should be plumbed at or near the top op the FW tank, to the fill valve. There should be two pipes leading away from the valve, one to the tank, the other to the fresh water system in the coach, not to the water pump. It looks as if someone has done some plumbing replacement in your picture, and possibly has made some wrong turns. The two way valve pictured seldom give problems, but as Bill suggested make sure the stem of the valve is moving when the lever is repositioned. Also I noticed an odd situated chrome plated valve next to the floor in the blue pex line, try turning this valve on to see if the tank fills.  If it does there probably have been some funny engineering at this point.The picture reveals that the pump is incorrectly plumbed also. Good luck hunting, please PM me if you would like some over the Cell phone guidance, Kay.

On our coach, they placed a bypass line around the water pump with a manual valve that fills the potable water tank when open and the pump uses the same tank connection to pull water from when it is closed. Simple but very effective.

Rich.

From looking at the picture the valve handle is in the closed position. And it must be turned to the left to the horizontal position in order to fill the tank. It has to be something simple and you are sure to find it.

To be on the safe side, I put a plug in my holding tank flush inlet and a quick disconect on my water tank and fill hose. This is to insure I don't make a mistake. Please don't ask how I know this .?

Herman 

Herman, the answer to that "please don't ask how I know this"...is on another post you did about 18 months ago!  I still get the giggles! :lol:

Rich, your method will work very well, but look at the pump plumbing in the picture, the pump can't pull water from the top of the tank, only way is if the fill tube goes downward inside the tank like a gasoline tank, this may be the case but not likely.

Yes Herman, "HERE'S YOUR SIGN". Same here many times.:P

I have the same valve on my coach. We have a label on it "swan quick fill" the UP position (as in the photo) will send water to the coach for normal usage. Horizontal will fill the tank. I wonder if the valve is broken? On ours it just has a Pex line going into the top of the fresh tank and another going into the coach somewhere. We also have a tank fill with a cap you can unscrew and just lay a hose in and turn on.

Herman....I've got to hear that story :o

Do you have any water coming into the coach to the interior faucets? Simple test, swing the valve to the horizontal position, go inside an open a faucet, no water, the valve is directing the water elsewhere, if you have water pressure the valve is broken and not switching to tank fill.

Hard to tell but it looks like there is a pressure regulator on the inbound hose, is that blocking all flow if you have no water anywhere?

11 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

Rich, your method will work very well, but look at the pump plumbing in the picture, the pump can't pull water from the top of the tank, only way is if the fill tube goes downward inside the tank like a gasoline tank, this may be the case but not likely.

Yes Herman, "HERE'S YOUR SIGN". Same here many times.:P

Hi Kay, I was just thinking about the picture and that oblong knob in the picture that is labeled tank shutoff.  In the picture it looks like it is located in the red line and and in the closed position.

Rich.