huffypuff

Replaced Rear View Monitor

I replaced the rear view camera today and got a pleasant surprise.   When I replace the old Weldex B&W CRT monitor with a color LCD I expected to still see B&W from the rear and side cameras.  Imagine my surprise when I received color images from the cameras. I can't figure out why the builders install color cameras and B&W monitor.  I don't think the builders saved much.   

I was told in the past that if I wanted to have a color monitor I would have to change both the Camera (which I understand) and the cable, Did you use the same cable as was used with your black and white unit?

Herman

Actually Ray, the color camera's are usually cheaper than the BW for at least 10 years and will work with either, fortunately now the same has become true with monitors,

Ray, what system do you have? My friends 05 Tiffin has a quirky problem, when his side cameras are connected none of the camera's work, when the sides are disconnected he is able to use the rear.

I used the Weldex conversion kit to fit the same hole in the dash.  My system also have the Aladdin with engine date and trip meter with compass and calendar.   For that reason all cameras go through another computer and only the six pin feed goes to the monitor.  Also the monitor has to be set to manual rear six pin only.  The Aladdin has been a little quirky with the B&W monitor so I will see if it will be better.  If the Aladdin was to quit I can hook up the three cameras direct and put the monitor in automatic.  jleamont direct hook up and automatic will probably fix your friend system.  Even the old monitor I took out had auto mode with triggers for right and left cameras.  Default is rear camera with tilt and sound.