Sign in to follow this  
widewader

Add-A-Brake System HELP!

Hey, Folks.

A while back, when we still had a Class C RV, I went on eBay and found an Add-a-Brake auxiliary brake thing for a really, really good price. I communicated with the seller and he assured me he had used it to tow from Maine to Florida and back two times. Then his wife got sick and he hung it up. When I received the brake, it was in the original box with all the cables and a couple of other things. No books or other paperwork. I know, I know, it does look like I fell for it. I'm looking for information

Prior to this "bargain" I had bought and installed a NSA Ready Brake system with which I have never been satisfied. Last trip, I just unhooked it and limped home. As a result, I do have the break away thing in place on my Wrangler. 

Now, I have tried to get this Add-a-Brake thing to work. It has the standard cigarette lighter power plug and another cable with two different connectors. I think one is for a brakes-in-use notifier. I put it in place and plugged it in today. I can hear a click when I press the Test button, but nothing else happens.

How does this thing work when I apply the motorhome brakes? Any help or advice available from you veterans?

widewader, Just tried to lookup Add-a-Brake and it does not come up. By chance is there any model number or series number on the unit?

It is a new item to me.

Rich.

Who is the manufacturer?  If you know, then look them up on web and give them a call.  Or just Goggle the name.

I drew a blank also!  I use M & G on my Jeep Wrangler, have used everything else on the market for the past 31 years...this is the best I have found.  They are in Athens, Texas and C member, F member of FMCA.  

Carl

The Add-a-Brake system was, I believe, originally sold by Camping World. I read somewhere that the system was a Roadmaster product rebadged for exclusive sale by Camping World. They don't list it anymore.

This morning I reached out to my contact at Roadmaster. Here is his e-mail reply:

The other posters are correct. We made it, sold it exclusively to CW. It is a single-pressure-no-matter-what braking system, not proportional. Installation instructions and wiring schematics: http://roadmasterinc.com/pdf/85-3476-02.pdf

When plugged in, the unit should activate the air compressor immediately, and fill the internal tank. Regardless of external wiring connections, it should depress the brake pedal when test button is pushed.

The two-wire connection is for a breakaway switch. The single wire connector is for a feed from the left/right combined brake and turn wiring on the toad. We tap off of green and yellow, combine signals with a Roadmaster wiring diode, and feed to single wire connector. See page 3. "Brakes in use" signal comes from vehicle's own brake light switch and is fed to a LED on the dash of MH.

If the unit does not fill tank or depress brakes when test button is used, suggest that they contact Roadmaster Tech Support 800-669-6960. We still repair these units and should be able to fix him up with our repair program.