Shelbyvision

Mounted RV Satellite Dish Replacement System

Question #1: I have a 2008 Monaco Dynasty 45' Diesel Pusher. My King Dome does not track any longer. I am being told by multiple RV dealerships that it cannot be repaired and needs to be replaced. They are telling me the best replacement system out there is KVH RV1.

Question #2: I am also needing to purchase something to add on to my separate TV antenna for I can pickup local channels as we are traveling from State to State. My regular mounted TV antenna use to work but no longer picks up channels.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So, you have the best OTA TV antenna availalble but you should add the Winegard attachment to your existing Winegard Sensar.  There is a separate power supply for that antenna that must be turned on for the OTA antenna to work properly.

If you are a DirecTV customer your dome should still work.  If you are a Dish Network customer then you likely need a new dome.  Winegard dome would be my recommendation but we need to know which service provider you use.

Bill,

I had a Winegard Road Trac that had to be replaced because of the signal changes by Dish. Winegard gave us a sweet deal on the SD 1000 Traveler. Did this so we could use a Dish 722 receiver. 

If Shelby has Direct will a dome provide him with HD?

Herman 

Bill, I am a Direct-TV customer and I am being told my multiple RV dealerships that there is no repair for the King Dome unit. We have reset it at one dealership and it worked until we moved the coach so they said same thing.

As far as my  SENSAR By WHINEGARD the power light on the panel comes on when I push it.

The light on the panel you showed has nothing to do with the power switch needed to send the power to the antenna for proper operation.  That's usually a small wall plate with a tiny button and a tiny LED light.  Since this is an '08 coach it could possibly be connected to a video control center (box of many buttons, i.e BOMB) which may or may not have an on/off button.  If you have an on/off button, that's what it is for, nothing else.

Herman, there is no such thing as a Winegard Road Trac but I am glad to hear that Winegard gave you a good upgrade option due to the changes no one could anticipate from Dish.  DirecTV has not made any similar changes and there is nothing that DirecTV has done to make any dome from any manufacturer obsolete.  No, you can't ever get DirecTV HD from a dome but that, of course, is not any part of the OP's question or his issue.

Herman, please don't moderate me again because you don't like something I posted.

What you might want to consider is who is going to service the KVH unit if you choose that over a Winegard.  Many RV dealers have stopped servicing KVH antennas while nearly all RV dealers can service a Winegard.

You will find very little feed back on the KHV units as the majority of RVers use either Winegard or King Dome.

As in all of life you get what you pay for.  KVH is a top of line system they are not cheap.  A lot of passengers trains use them. The a-7 which is only 3 1/2 inches tall  you can go down the road at 75 with perfect TV coverage.  Yes not every RV dealer will work on them, but the will not be out of date in a year or two.  If you are on 12 volts a lot they work fine.  We have had ours for over 13 years, and move it from one motor home to the next.

We have not had a  problem, you do net to get a internet download every 2 years or so

Bill, I have a 2004 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV with a Tracstar SV360 that has quit working. I have Directv and I am thinking of replacing the Tracstar with a Winegard RoadTrip T4.  Will the wiring on the RoadTrip T4 will fit in the space of the existing Tracstar wiring on the the Monaco? Also, are there any issues with the Winegard RoadTrip T4 that would keep it from working in my Monaco?

I had a King Dome but it stopped working.

After talking to DirectTV and King ,I chose to go with the T4 and love it.

It uses the same coax so no new holes to drill. One on-off switch and it is running.

Fastest and easiest in motion on the market.

Go with an RF Mogul Eagle System.  If you have an issue a human answers the phone.  You can get software updates via email.  And once it locks on it won't loose the track.  Great system and great service.

Sorry, Bill after making the change to my SD 1000, and due to age I missed the correct name of my old dome. I believe it was a Road Trip. But heck don't hold me even to that. :wub:

Herman 

10 hours ago, misslucy said:

Bill, I have a 2004 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV with a Tracstar SV360 that has quit working. I have Directv and I am thinking of replacing the Tracstar with a Winegard RoadTrip T4.  Will the wiring on the RoadTrip T4 will fit in the space of the existing Tracstar wiring on the the Monaco? Also, are there any issues with the Winegard RoadTrip T4 that would keep it from working in my Monaco?

The TracStar 360 used only a coax cable and nothing else to control the antenna.  I have not played with the T4 but I believe Winegard now uses a power inserter in the coax of that unit as well so that the only connection needed to the roof would be the same coax used by your TracStar.  If I am correct then this would be an incredibly simple swap.

Our Trac-star stopped working and we learned that it is no longer supported. High Definition was more important to me than in motion. My understanding is that you can't have both with Direct TV. I installed a Wineguard Traveler and we have been very happy with it. The dish also pulls in local OTA stations.

DISH has thrown all older King Dome users under the bus by changing their format. Why the PSC, etc. has allowed this puzzles me. They have rendered 1.000's of KD units useless with DISH service without spending $100's to upgrade the DVB & acquiring a King 1844 programmer. DIRECT encoders still work with older systems, according to King. DISH, here's a message for you...GFY!

You might be confused about who does what.  Dish did not, and never has,  built or approved an antenna for use with an RV (other than the King Dome Tailgater for a brief period).

Dish Network sells satellite TV service for use with an open faced, Dish approved, satellite TV antenna with multiple LNB's.  When Winegard or King Dome or KVH builts an antenna for an RV they are doing this completely on there own and the operation of this antenna has nothing what-so-ever to do with what Dish does or does not do.  If Dish, DirecTV, Bell Express Vu or Shaw makes changes to there services they do not consult with (or care about)  the RV industry.  They make the changes they need to make based upon a large customer base and evolving technology.  When a product built by a company unrelated to Dish or any of the other services become obsolete it's a shame but it is not the fault of Dish or any other satellite TV providers.  It's just something that happens and those building antennas have to adjust to the changes the satellite TV providers make.  There is exactly zero reason for any satellite TV provider to think that should run their business based upon something the RV industry is or is not doing.

Good comment Bill.:)That makes sense as to why Winegard is offering to help customers upgrade. Dish is ever evolving in ways to better help the consumer and the RV Mfg.rs will have to adjust.:D My only hope is that they don't make any upgrades to where I have to change the dish again.  ;)

Herman

BillA.  Makes good sense and it's a logical move by Dish, they do evolve, based on the majority of their users and tech available. That is for land based, not mobile.  We are but a drop in the bucket. :(

Well written and explained!  For satellite, I prefer DIRECTV ....only have it at home.  In coach, I use bat wing (my little, like a plunger of a ball point pen, button is under my raise/lower, etc. panel) or cable hook up at campground.

bigjim1.  15+ years in FMCA is not a Newbie, but we all have been so, on the Forum!  I was a "newbie" 3 years ago, yet I had over 40 years with FMCA on-off-on!  My first # was F 6xx8 now it's F 342xx3...I don' care!  I do care that I have learned a lot since I have been on forum, met forum members and still learning!  That to me is the bottom line..:D

Carl

I have an 07 tiffin with  winegard set for DTV. I want to use my HD receiver from home. Is my best bet to bite the bullet on a new HD sat dish or can I use the winegard and get a non HD receiver? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

exitstratergy,

Welcome to the Forum. Can't speak about Direct TV, I have Dish. My Dish 311 receiver worked well for a number of years. However with the changes made by Dish my old single LND dome wouldn't work. I did upgrade to a new Winegard Traveler and now use a 722 receiver and couldn't be happier. Bill Adams can give you an answer to your question. He will be on soon.

Herman