doverlan03

East From Moab

Question

I will be headed east out of Moab next week.  Trip planner takes us Northeast from Denver out Route 76 to Route 80 then East.  I was thinking about taking route 70 from Denver then east.  Any suggestions on each route (Mountains, traffic, tolls etc.).  We have been across 80 before.

9 answers to this question

Dover,

Welcome to the Forum. 

Taking I-80 or I-70 East of Denver are both without mountains. Which to take depends on your destanation and how fast do you want to get there.

Are you a member of FMCA?

Herman 

Herman,

Yes I am a member of FMCA.  I will be traveling back to Connecticut and have up to 7 days to complete the trip but don't necessarily want to take that amount of time.  Maybe only 6 days. 

And by the way I will be driving a gas (V-10 Ford) class A 35' motorhome towing a Jeep Wrangler.

Dave

I-70 is a fine drive east out of Denver, across Kansas, downhill all the way :lol:.  You'll encounter some city driving around Kansas City and again in the St. Louis area.  I would avoid peak (rush hour) traffic if at all possible.  If you want, both cities have circle routes to avoid downtown, take the southern bypass around KC (I-470) and the northern bypass around St. Louis (MO 370 to I-270).  Traffic across Missouri will be heavy at times but nothing that you wouldn't encounter on i-80.  Illinois used to have a 55 MPH speed limit for motorhomes and trucks, not sure if it still does, it's been several years since I've been through there.  Indianapolis has some sharp turns on the direct route through town.  The southern bypass I-465 is best for avoiding downtown.  Columbus, OH, take the southern bypass, I-270. 

Kansas has some nice rest areas with circle drives for RV's.  You can park along the circle as long as you leave the pavement open for traffic you can stay all night.  They also have dump stations at their rest stops.  Kansas has the only toll road, about 70 miles into Kansas City, until you get into Ohio or Pennsylvania. 

Missouri rest stops are OK for overnight parking.  Illinois has restrictions on overnight parking at some rest stops though you will find them choked with trucks parking for an indeterminate period of time.  Walmart along the route generally has unrestricted parking except in urban areas.  There are also a fair number of RV parks along the route that are close enough for an overnight stop.

We use AllStays Camp and RV App for finding Walmart, rest areas and campgrounds for trips like the one you are taking.

Travel Safe!

7 hours ago, doverlan03 said:

I will be headed east out of Moab next week.  Trip planner takes us Northeast from Denver out Route 76 to Route 80 then East.  I was thinking about taking route 70 from Denver then east.  Any suggestions on each route (Mountains, traffic, tolls etc.).  We have been across 80 before.

If you are wanting to get home quick I would take Route 76 to Route 80 then East to 90. As you know I-90= The Mass Turnpike West.;)

Bill

I am planning on being in Southwest Utah about  May 1st and want to visit the National Parks (Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Canyon Lands, Arches).  I have a 33 foot Fleetwood Excursion and I flat tow a SUV.  Is there a full hook up park recommended in proximity to see most of these parks?

KK. Welcome.  There are lots of RV parks in Moab, also Monticello (about 40 miles SE.  I would Google both, the only problem with Moab is wall to wall RV's and 4x4's from April on!  So if you want to stay in that area, get a reservation ASAP.  Monticello is more laid back and don't get near the traffic or RV's...City Park RV is a good one and a block away from golf course, south side of downtown...north side also has a RV park, just don't remember the name!

Carl

7 hours ago, KKREBZ@YAHOO.COM said:

I am planning on being in Southwest Utah about  May 1st and want to visit the National Parks (Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Canyon Lands, Arches).  I have a 33 foot Fleetwood Excursion and I flat tow a SUV.  Is there a full hook up park recommended in proximity to see most of these parks?

Welcome to the forum. When I was in Moab this last summer we stayed out on 191 out toward Spanish Valley at OK RV Park, 3310 Spanish Valley Dr, Moab, UT 84532, okrvpark.com, (435) 259-1400.

You need to get your map out Arches and Canyonlands are in the northern part of the state and Zion, Brice are 300 miles south. Capitol Reef is about in the center.

In the south we stayed at Leeds RV Park, 97 Valley Rd, Leeds, UT 84746, leedsrvpark.com, (435) 879-2450.

Don't forget great places like Antelope Island and Promontory Point.

Bill

14 hours ago, KKREBZ@YAHOO.COM said:

I always stay in Canyonland RV right in town 

they should have room may 1 on as ESJ and car show are over 

I am booked April 1 to May 9 but should be changing to leave early 

in my time period you need to book a year in advance  for EJS