widewader

Attaching Tire Pressure Sending Unit To Rear Tire Stem

I know this is a long title. I just started writing and that's what came out. My problem: I have a new TPMS and I've installed four sending units on my Jeep and on the front tires of the motorhome. The rear axle has a tire stem for the inside tire facing out and the stem for the outside tire turned inward into an opening in the aluminum wheel. It's not hard to reach with a rear facing air chuck when checking tire pressure, but almost impossible to reach with a sending unit in two fingers.

My question after all this, Is it possible to turn the stem around, twist it, so I can reach the open end of the stem? I'm wondering why the stem faces inward anyway.

I don't think that you can simply twist it around while it is mounted. While a tire is dismounted you can ask the tire installer to install a stem that will do what you are asking for. The stem hole is placed on the narrowest side of the rim on all that I have seen, not saying that the rim manufacturer could not place it the other way but I think that would be a rare thing. There are some valve stem extensions that are flexible, but I have have never used or liked them because of the possibility of leakage. Do you have a 6 year old grandson that might reach through the hole and get the tpms started on the threads? I have used make shift holding devices to barely get a valve cap to start, then usually can finish the tightening process with one or two fingers. Good luck getting it together, Kay

I first tried the metal flexible stem extensions.  Had a problelm with one of them leaking, not at the valve but where the braid joined the holder for the valve.  Got rid of them quickly

There is a company called Dually Valve. Here is a link to their web site Dually Valve.  The set of valves may seem to be pricey but I can state that they are worth every penny.  Bill Falkenborg passed into the Lords hands back in June but Kelli will answer the phone and she is very knowledgeable.

These valve stems will make any inflation accessible without reaching into the wheel. For the fronts I got a valve that is almost a 180 U-shape. For the rear I got a straight through for the inside and another 180 or so for the outside.  All my monitor sensors are easily accessible.

I am not associated in any way with Dually Valve.

I've had flexible valve stem extensions on both valves on the rear wheels (factory standard) on both our motor homes and never had a problem with them.  I'm currently in the process of replacing the originals, now 13 years in use, with new ones.  The flexible extensions are attached to the hub cover and the Pressure Pro sensors are easy on - easy off. 

19 hours ago, widewader said:

I know this is a long title. I just started writing and that's what came out. My problem: I have a new TPMS and I've installed four sending units on my Jeep and on the front tires of the motorhome. The rear axle has a tire stem for the inside tire facing out and the stem for the outside tire turned inward into an opening in the aluminum wheel. It's not hard to reach with a rear facing air chuck when checking tire pressure, but almost impossible to reach with a sending unit in two fingers.

My question after all this, Is it possible to turn the stem around, twist it, so I can reach the open end of the stem? I'm wondering why the stem faces inward anyway.

If you have Tire Minder transmitters there is a tool to install and remove the transmitter on the outer dual.  It is possible to turn the stem around.

22 hours ago, TBUTLER said:

I've had flexible valve stem extensions on both valves on the rear wheels (factory standard) on both our motor homes and never had a problem with them.  I'm currently in the process of replacing the originals, now 13 years in use, with new ones.  The flexible extensions are attached to the hub cover and the Pressure Pro sensors are easy on - easy off. 

Tom, That's a good idea to replace the hoses. They have rubber parts that can age just as we all know our tires age. I suggest that whenever replacing tires you also replace any rubber components in the valve stems or extensions if you use any.

20 hours ago, desertdeals690 said:

If you have Tire Minder transmitters there is a tool to install and remove the transmitter on the outer dual.  It is possible to turn the stem around.

If you can turn the hard metal stem around while the tire is inflated then I question that the valve nut is sufficiently tight.

FYI here is my coach with my hose extenders.  Also note the boards supporting the tires off the gravel in my parking shed.  Full width and length of the tire footpriints.

10sagzq.jpg

Tireman, caution..... I had the same set up on my class C, my extension chaffed on the wheel cover and started to leak while driving down I-95. TPMS saved us and the tire. I went to an auto parts store and bought a piece of rubber hose, cut it and zip tied it to the hose where it passes through the Wheel covers on all 4 to keep it protected. While you drive they will rub the wheel cover.

jleamount,  You are correct about being sure hose doesn't not rub rim or wheel simulator cap. It is also important to be sure the outer end is tied down (I used the small "L" brackets which are "pop riveted" to the center of the cap. The other thing is to be sure to support the hose with your hand when using a gauge or adding air. If you simply push hard you will probably bend and could damage the mount.

Since I run TPMS and have a 10% inflation cushion I only need to use a gauge or add air once or twice a summer

32 minutes ago, Tireman9 said:

jleamount,  You are correct about being sure hose doesn't not rub rim or wheel simulator cap. It is also important to be sure the outer end is tied down (I used the small "L" brackets which are "pop riveted" to the center of the cap. The other thing is to be sure to support the hose with your hand when using a gauge or adding air. If you simply push hard you will probably bend and could damage the mount.

Since I run TPMS and have a 10% inflation cushion I only need to use a gauge or add air once or twice a summer

I saw the one in your picture looks a bit too close for comfort (for me anyway) I figured I should mention it to you just in case you hadn't noticed. 

On 9/3/2016 at 2:31 PM, jleamont said:

I saw the one in your picture looks a bit too close for comfort (for me anyway) I figured I should mention it to you just in case you hadn't noticed. 

Yes I understand. I made special effort and bent the wheel cover a little to ensure no contact and have inspected many times and found no abrasion.

One good thing about running TPMS is I would get a warning as soon as I lost a few psi.

44 minutes ago, BennieH said:

I had my tire dealer turn them for me so they run parallel with the rim. Sensors on & off easily plus easy to air up!

Glad to hear. I noticed my friends Tiffin had the outer wheel stems spun for access. I'll do mine when it's time for new tires. I'm at 3413 now on my oldest (drives) still have a way to go.