ajshepherd

My First Experience With Coach-Net

Well, we have returned from a long 6 days, and a shake down run between Junction City, OR and Las Vegas, Nevada.  Overall the trip went well as we are still getting used to the new (Used) DP and we decided to make four overnight stops out of 700 miles.  This changed to three stops, due to an unforeseen parts failure.  Before departing to collect the DP R/T, I purchased the Coach-Net insurance plan.  The second overnight while hooking up at the campground we had issues with shore power.  We have a large DP and require 50 amps (3 air units).  Once I got the electric to function after a few tries back and forth with the park breakers, I went back in to work on rolling the slides out and setting up.  10 min into doing this the entire MH went black (Now night time 8PM and 100deg still!).  To cut a very long story and night short, my first call was to Coach-Net, both the initial call and the technical support were not that great.  I did my best explaining everything and they came up with a best guess with what might be wrong (Switch between shore and generator power failure).  The Generator did not provide power also.  The inverter panel showed 13.5 and 110 power.

Coach-Net said they could not do anything until then next day and maybe not until the following afternoon.  We were in Northern CA.  They also stated that we would have to drive the MH to the vendor for the repair.  This did not seem like a good option as our Dish was extended with no power to retract it and I had no ladder the get on the roof to see of I could get it down manually.  As I'm on the phone with Coach-Net, Sheri got on the phone with a local fellow that was listed in the camp directory.  This is where everything fell into place!

Joe, from "Joe on the Go", mobile RV repair agreed to come and look at what he thought might be the issue (He did agreed with Coach-Net and their evaluation and had a spare 50 amp switch), but was going to a concert, but would come out after he and his wife attended the concert by 10PM!

At that point we checked into a hotel to get the dogs cooled off, then back to the campsite in high hopes to meet Joe.  He was on time and in a good mood!

Bottom line:  After two hours of meter testing wire and equipment (Using logic) Joe found a bad solenoid controlling all of the house 12 volt power, buried in the inverter space, mid coach in the center of the basement.  A simple hot wire (connected both wires to the same post) got us back up and running immediately.  In fact I can replace this part myself once I get it in the mail from CC.

So, While we got incredible service from a local small business, I'm now somewhat mixed about Coach-Net.  I expected to use them more for tire issues, but my first experience has not gone well.  The service provided by Joe was unexpected and well received.

Elsewhere, I will provide an update over the weekend of how our MH finished up after 2 months at Country Coach, overall very happy, but some minor issues we are still working out.  Enjoy the long weekend!

Thanks for the post.  Always interesting to see how the various RV services work.  Did you say you had to leave your motorhome with Country Coach for 2 months?  Can't imagine how anyone would be happy with anything after that!

42 minutes ago, BillAdams said:

Thanks for the post.  Always interesting to see how the various RV services work.  Did you say you had to leave your motorhome with Country Coach for 2 months?  Can't imagine how anyone would be happy with anything after that!

Hi Bill:

Yes, two months is a long time.  The part that held us up was a steering bell crank replacement.  That part is a forged casting manufactured overseas.  We had about 30 days of other work performed before they found out they needed to replace this part.

My experience and opinion of Coach Net is diametrically opposed to the concerns expressed by ajsheperd.  I have paid for Coach Net for over 10 years but used them only once, about two years ago, in Alaska.  We ejected a spark plug from our V-10 Triton engine.  Luckily, our motorhome is much smaller, 31 ft., than ajsheperd's  very large DP.  Still, in Alaska, about halfway between Anchorage and Kenai, it took nearly an hour for Coach Net to find a sufficiently large tow truck.  They forecast a minimum three hour wait for the truck to reach us from Anchorage but informed us they arranged for a repair shop in Anchorage.  The Coach Net representative called back in less than an hour saying he found another operator in Kenai that could reach us much quicker, provided contact numbers, etc.  While waiting, we called the Anchorage repair shop to discover they could not look at the coach for "up to two weeks" and that we could not stay in it wile waiting.  "New tow guy" arrived on time and tolerated our whining about our experience with the shop in Anchorage.  He came up with an alternate solution.  He had a friend with experience on our engine, he owned one and experienced the same issue.    He also worked in a truck repair shop in Kenai and could work on our coach Monday.  He had all the parts needed in stock with the exception of the coil which was available locally. (You shoot the plug out, the coal goes with it.)  This was now late Friday afternoon.  Further, he gave us three choices of parking , water only, electric only or nothing.  We selected the nothing spot to stay out of the way.  I could go on about this adventure but my conclusions would be the same.  Briefly, they are:

1.  Local knowledge is generally better that that available to any remote assistance service.

2.  Small towns often provide the best and friendliest service.

3.  Coach Net did their job professionally, rapidly and completely as they could from almost 3,000 miles away.

4.  Will I ever give up Coach Net?  Absolutely not.  Their role is to arrange (not provide) emergency service.

As promised, the Kenai repair shop finished the repairs on Monday and we waited the requisite time for the sealant materials to cure and continued our trip Tuesday morning.

There are more details I could provide on the area, the spark plug issue with Ford's modular engine line and the repair shop.  Even the delay in our trip and the expense of the repair did not dampen our love of our Alaska experience.  If stranded some place, Kenai is one of the greatest places to be stuck!  Our little tow care served us very well.

PS:  One week ago, I ejected another spark plug.  That is now fixed.   I have an opinion (I say again, an opinion) regarding the issue and fix if anyone is interested.

Keon,

Earlier models of the Ford V10 had an issue with the spark plugs. It seemed to be a problem with the length of the treads in the heads. I am not sure what was done but the problem has been solved. When Ford first introduced the V10 is was a bit short of Horse Power, but that issue has also been resolved. The V10 has become a fairly good engine. I am still a fan of the old 460 engine. 

Herman

Keon, that was a common problem on the Triton engines in that era. The secret to it is replace all 10 plugs with the updated design from Ford (longer threads) DO NOT put anti seize on them, torque them properly. The original design didn't have enough threads on the spark plugs, but the cylinder head did. While in there its a good idea to replace the spark plug boots since they fail overtime and crack. When we bought our last coach I pulled a spark plug when I got it home, found it had the original design with only a few threads, swapped them all out then and never had a problem after. I had installed many repair kits and replaced too many cylinder heads at the dealer, I wasn't going to do it on my coach.

I actually had a customer come in with a bumper sticker "Honk if you see my spark plugs fall out" :lol:

Joe,

I knew that there was a problem and didn't know if it was in the plugs or the heads. You cleared it up for me.

I know it is quite a trip to Chandler for you but will you be in Indianapolis? Would love to meet you face to face at our "Meet and Greet".

Herman

Herman, doesn't look like we will be able to make it. Heck I tried to catch up with Puff since he is only 15 minutes from my house while he is in PA for the Holiday, couldn't get away from work then my daughters car ate a front wheel bearing. We did get to chat on the phone for a little, which was nice.

I talked to my wife, She's on board with the idea, but concerned she or the kids will run out of stuff to do. Since the years alternate (East Coast-West Coast) we are going to shoot for next years, hoping another Springfield MA will be on the schedule or another place on the East Coast.

I also want to attend the Diesel RV club outing, I found out about the one last year too late, but the location was perfect.

My oldest is graduating this year (not planned, she skipped 11th grade) and she requested a family Florida vacation, so I caved in and booked it, otherwise Indy was on my list.

1 minute ago, hermanmullins said:

As the song goes, "Maybe Next Year".

Herman

:lol: you have no idea how bad I want to go to a rally. I told my DW if you are that concerned I will go alone. I got that look....you know the look :angry:

27 minutes ago, HayesFamily said:

I just pulled my plugs and I have the longer threaded plugs. Scared me for a moment. 

The Look ... YEAH be afraid of the LOOK!

It sounds like you dodged the spark plug problem. 

Now all you have to worry about is getting the "LOOK". :lol::P

Bill

34 minutes ago, HayesFamily said:

I just pulled my plugs and I have the longer threaded plugs. Scared me for a moment. 

Keon,

Incorrect.  the 1999 V10 IS the one of the years with spark plug issues.  Plenty of posts about best way to remove the old ones and best way to gently torque up the new ones.  It is too few threads in the head that is the issue.  Were it just the spark plugs, that would be great, but not the issue.

There ARE inserts that can be installed if the threads (aluminum) are compromised.  Again, lots of info on the internet about this.

10 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

Keon,

Incorrect.  the 1999 V10 IS the one of the years with spark plug issues.  Plenty of posts about best way to remove the old ones and best way to gently torque up the new ones.  It is too few threads in the head that is the issue.  Were it just the spark plugs, that would be great, but not the issue.

There ARE inserts that can be installed if the threads (aluminum) are compromised.  Again, lots of info on the internet about this.

Good Point, I remember now remember my neighbor had this issue. I neglected to mention i dont have the original cylinder head on this V-10- it was replaced on my coach so i assume there was an issue and it was corrected. 

As soon as I pulled the plug I looked for 2 things, Helicoils or any type of lock and stitch type stuff which Ford used when the Mustangs were popping plugs. I didnt see and any type of stripping of the thread in the aluminum head. Didnt see either ... So I called my buddy at the local Ford dealership and asked what a new one looked like and after he described the longer thread pattern I checked that with a bore scope. Confirmed that the head was replaced. 

Brett is right, I've got my lines crossed. The replacement plugs do have longer threads to accommodate the redesigned head.

Make sure they are torqued properly. The age old question was "were they loose i.e. improperly installed at the factory", I don't believe a determination was really ever made. Oddly when they were replaced at a low mileage and properly installed the failure rate dropped to almost nothing. The only time I can remember seeing them come out on their own after was when they were slopped up with anti seize. When installed per the ford service manual they stayed.

FYI if you get in a bind I have the kit to install stainless steel inserts. Torque spec is below. 

AB0075A_250.jpg