rlaird

House Batteries

I'm kind of like Herman with respect to batteries.  We are using wet cells and seem to have enough Boondocking power for our needs.

Our coach was poorly equipped with respect to batteries when we bought it.  It had:

• 1 -12v chassis battery
  • 2 -12v house batteries.

Our chassis battery was not on the charging circuit so I hard wired in a maintainer and plugged it into the A/C outlet in the engine compartment.  We always plug the coach in at home and the maintainer has always kept our chassis batteries fully charged.  To combat the lack of overall juice I installed:

• 2-12v big rig batteries (Sam's Club)
  • 4-12v deep cycle batteries (Sam's Club)

I know, I know, I know......our battery compartment is horrid and needs attention!  I just wanted to show how our set-up is now.  Wish I had a picture of the original set-up!

Blake

20160911_180424 (1).jpg

Blake, are your house batteries tied down or just sitting there? If you stumble on replacement straps let me know, mine have the plastic buckles and most have broken, so I tied them together, now the webbing is frayed. Our coach could us some TLC, maybe clean and repaint the trays and replace the hold downs. Looks like the same Kwikee trays also.

Joe, the top set of batteries are tied down with the original straps.  The lower set (house) are just sitting there.  Those straps are long gone.  I have a mild concern about the condition of the trays although they slide fine.  Once we get back home I'll remove the batteries, spray the compartment and trays then coat with spray on rubber liner (Rhino-ish).  Deb is pretty good at sourcing stuff.  Lemme see if she is willing to look for straps!

Carl, really fortunate that the trays slide in and out.  When we decided two house batteries wouldn't serve our needs we were Boondocking in Phoenix at the Sam's Club.  We traded in the two batteries that were toast and bought four 12v deep cycles.  Did the conversion in their parking lot with permission of the manager.

Blake

Still working my house battery problem on our 2013 Itasca Suncruiser 35P. Found out the Xantrex 1000 Pro is only an inverter; our coach has a Schumacher SARVC55 converter that charges the batteries when on generator or shore power. I'm still intending to switch to AGM batteries, but I can't locate the converter to reprogram it.  Yes, I've checked all galley and living space cabinets, including in back of the breaker panel below the entertainment cabinet, and the power cord compartment.

Anyone out there have layout details on the 2013 Itasca Suncruiser 35P?

Sid

Contact Winnebago Tech Dept. with your Engine # and Winn#...

Blake.  My engine batteries, 2, 12V AGM is on a slide tray by the engine...I have to remove the shocks for door, then door, then slide battery out..:angry::blink:

House batteries are in 2 frames, each frame has 4, 6V batteries for each 2,800 PSW inverter/charger.  No slide needed, the compartment is very large...remove all 8 AGM's and you could have another bedroom! :lol:

Blake.  The last 30 days has been very expensive.  A new front windshield, 8 new AGM's and it looks like another $5-10K in body work!  I wish I had stayed away from this FMCA, sanctioned Rally!  Had I not followed the parking attendant's directions like a blind sheep, I would not have the body work problem!  We are told in writhing, they know what their doing! :angry::angry:

Anyway, 8 batteries and 5,600 PSW is handy! :D Until replacement...:(

Carl

Sidney., I once had a sportscoach that the converter was under the dash, just another place to look.

Joe, the old rubber bungy straps work pretty well as a temporary battery tie down, comes in many sizes and are easy to find.

Sid, check in the bathroom between the sink and the shower. I found a post on the web when I Googled your model and another person had the same problem. They are usually between the power cord and the fuse box, presumably on the same side of the coach tucked away, where exactly is always a mystery.

Link;

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=52945.0

Carl, you should be up here enjoying "Yankee" Chili with RSbilledwards, Obedb and myself this weekend. I would have picked you up a box of wine on my way up :lol::ph34r: and I always have blocks of cheese and pepperoni on board from the local cheese monger.

Kay, thank you for the recommendation, I think I may make something from small cargo pull straps, all I will have to alter is the clip where it attaches to the tray.

Hey Joe,

Out in California now with our son.  He thinks he knows where to get the battery tie-down straps here locally.  Might have time between chores to go take a look.  Will keep you posted.

Yes Kay.....thank you for the tip!

Blake

Blake.  Right now it's TCC the 3rd.

Joe.  Wish I had, then I would have a nice rear end (on coach)! :P  The other one is nice too, padding is gone, but it's attached ! :lol::lol:

Give my regards as they get heartburn! :) Remember, "It's all about having fun"!

Carl

Carl, no heartburn.... I didn't add the stuff I sent you a picture of. 'Ill experiment with that later, made it just like always and toned it back just a tad so there is some heat but after the flavor. You are correct, cant wait to hang out with them and talk coach stuff.

Joe,

Son went to the truck parts store yesterday where he thought they had the battery tie down straps.  They didn't have them.  When we get back home, and start refurbishing the battery compartment, think I will tack a couple of eyelets on the sides of the trays after the vinegar wash and before coating.  This should allow me to use heavy rubber bungee straps.

Of course, the batteries will be out of the compartment before I strike an arc!

Blake

On 9/17/2016 at 0:33 PM, jleamont said:

Blake take the trays out before welding, you don't want to cook any computers

DITTO!! Electronic parts do not like those nasty voltage spikes! So make sure they are disconnected.

Rich.

On 9/10/2016 at 0:02 PM, wolfe10 said:

Sid,

Make sure to re-program your inverter/charger when you change battery technologies.

Is this procedure fairly moderate to do? Cause I really hate messing with programing electrical configurations.

1 minute ago, JustCruzzin said:

Is this procedure fairly moderate to do? Cause I really hate messing with programing electrical configurations.

Just pull out your inverter/charger or inverter/charger remote's owners manual or access online.  NOT difficult AND IMPORTANT. 

Roy, What is the Make and Model of the unit installed in your Coach? The Reprogramming is in one of the sub menus of the inverter / chargers.

Rich.

6 hours ago, DickandLois said:

Roy, What is the Make and Model of the unit installed in your Coach? The Reprogramming is in one of the sub menus of the inverter / chargers.

Rich.

Hey Rich, I will have to get back with that info and wolfe10 not sure if the manual came with the coach when we purchased it but I will look also.

9 hours ago, DickandLois said:

Rich.

Okay, took a little while to find it in the RV but this is it;       RV2012

pic2.jpg

pic1.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

pic6.jpg

pic7.jpg

pic8.jpg

19 hours ago, DickandLois said:

Roy, This is a link to the manual for the RC 7. This is where you setup the system to charge different type battery's. 

Check page 14 for the details.

http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Inverter-Chargers/RV-Series-GS/RC7_RC-GS_Owners_Manual(975-0210-01-01_Rev-A).pdf

Rich.

Thanks Rich, saves me for chasing it in the motorhome. Thanks everyone, sorry to hijack the thread.