five

FMCA Dues Increase

Did you guys see where the powers that be increased the dues from $50 to $60 for first time members and from $40 to $50 for renewals?  

Yup-- got the same e-mail. Suspect it went out as an e-blast to all members.

My understanding is that the Governing Board, faced with the choice of raising dues to cover the cost of FMCAssist or digging into reserves felt that the benefit more than offset the $10.

Yes, to me $10 USED TO BE a lot of $$.  Now, can't get a fast food meal for that.

Not excited about paying more, but the benefits more than outweigh the extra "burger meal."

I just renewed for another year at the pre-increase rate.  FMCA'a medical assist program saves me from buying that service from another supplier which costs as much as FMCA's dues.  Considering the benefits, I feel that FMCA offers good value for motorhome owners which is why I continue my membership.

You can also renew for a longer period, I think 4 years and get the 5th year free and you can renew now before the increase.  I did this before the last increase.  I'll have to pay dues in 2019 again.  Here is the information from our National Director:  This was published in the Monaco International Newsletter which I just received. 

The increase is not effective until October 1, 2016. You may renew your dues prior to October at the current annual rate of $40.00. Better yet, if you renew for four years you get the fifth year free. This is in essence like getting two years free (4 years X $40 = $160) vs. (4 years X $50 = $200). Renew by October and save $40 over four years and get the fifth year free.

So if you are still young enough to buy green bananas, you might send in your dues for five years, $160, a $32 per year rate that will last you until 2021! 

Still a good deal even with a $10 increase, although I don't like price increases. The FMCAssist is comforting, although my family would be responsible for finding a driver (because our coach is older than 10 years). At least the expense would be covered.  We renewed in 2015 for five years, so we are good until 2020.

I do understand the reason for the increase in dues and it is a good deal from my perspective, considering what the Assist program offers compared to what the cost was for an individual to purchase, but this portion is a little confusing as of October 1,2016, first-year membership dues will be $60, and renewal dues will be $50 per year.

Could the Board clarify this portion, explaining the higher cost for new members and what that difference covers? and that from my understanding; will be $ 50.00 for an additional year going forward at this time. Or will the dues be $60:00 for all existing members who renew after October 1, 2016.

FMCA’s Governing Board passed a fiscal-year 2017 budget that includes a $10 dues increase for FMCA family members effective October 1, 2016. So, as of that date, first-year membership dues will be $60, and renewal dues will be $50 per year.

Thank You ! Richard Marvin.

$10 or not, it's a great deal....compare with what GS want.  :angry:

I'm like Brett, what are we doing with our reserve? What is it for?

Carl

A rainy day? ☺️  $10 is chump change. I have no problem with it. The board acted. Some of us are riding around in RVs that cost more than most homes do. Not us, though. We are low rent, with our 2003 Phaeton. 40 miles of diesel fuel burned equals $10. 

I'm not surprised with the need to increase dues.  Inflation affects all businesses.  Increased labor costs, increased insurance, increased taxes and more.  They have to raise dues to maintain services.  Easier to absorb the increase by spreading it across the members than by trying to reduce expenditures or find places to cut back.

Still a good deal, IMHO.  I had just sent in dues for 5 years a couple of months back, so I won't see the increase for awhile...by then, it may need to be increased again.

On 9/5/2016 at 10:05 AM, DickandLois said:

I do understand the reason for the increase in dues and it is a good deal from my perspective, considering what the Assist program offers compared to what the cost was for an individual to purchase, but this portion is a little confusing as of October 1,2016, first-year membership dues will be $60, and renewal dues will be $50 per year.

Could the Board clarify this portion, explaining the higher cost for new members and what that difference covers? and that from my understanding; will be $ 50.00 for an additional year going forward at this time. Or will the dues be $60:00 for all existing members who renew after October 1, 2016.

FMCA’s Governing Board passed a fiscal-year 2017 budget that includes a $10 dues increase for FMCA family members effective October 1, 2016. So, as of that date, first-year membership dues will be $60, and renewal dues will be $50 per year.

Thank You ! Richard Marvin.

A little late answering, but the first-year dues includes the cost of your goose eggs (membership plaques).

dons2346.  

Correct and it also covers the magazine, that some of our 72,000 + members want as a hard copy via mail and some prefer digital.  

Richard Marvin.  Did you become a FMCA member before 10/01/16?  If so, then your dues will be $50 per year starting in 2017.  If not a member, then first year is $60 and the next year it's $50...what is confusing about that? :blink:

Every Club out there, that I know about, has gone up 2 or 3 times the amount I paid 20 to 30 years ago...LCIF was $40 a year in 1985, now $110, Elks $45 in 1990, now $118! FMCA  dues is nothing when compared to what you get for it...2 happy meals in Oslo, Norway is $48! :) We have a lot of members, that are not from America, but keep their coaches here...your not going to hear them complain about $50 a year!

Carl 

It was easy for us to justify the $10.00 increase. The other night we were out for dinner and the DW wanted dessert. I said, "let skip the dessert just this one time and the savings will cover the dues increase."  Went home and broke out the Blue Bell (already purchased before the increase). :lol::lol:

In other words, It an't no big deal.

Herman

8 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

It was easy for us to justify the $10.00 increase. The other night we were out for dinner and the DW wanted dessert. I said, "let skip the dessert just this one time and the savings will cover the dues increase."  Went home and broke out the Blue Bell (already purchased before the increase). :lol::lol:

In other words, It an't no big deal.

Herman

:lol:

I re-joined so I could buy some tires at a savings.  I bought 4 and will buy 4 more (B F Goodrich, not Michelin) before my year runs out.  I won't renew when this year expires.  In 6 years or so when I need tires again, I will join again (with the same FMCA number).  It seems that the majority of FMCA benefits have either vanished or been greatly reduced.  The magazine is a shadow of its former self and the mail forwarding services have been farmed out to other providers.

BillA.  Compared to the 70's and 80's, I totally agree with that...The Volume one of June, 1964 had more interesting stories, and less advertising than we get today.  It's 42 informative pages!  It's in this coach with me and I still enjoy reading it...got it from my ex father in law,  DW and I did not join until 1967.

Carl 

Bill Adams:

You might want to consider keeping your membership active to be able to maintain the FMCAssist travel assist benefit to return you or your remains in a medical emergency.  Similar insurance would cast you about $105-$115/per year; therefore, the dues are worth the yearly amount.

Ross, I'm not going anywhere anytime soon and I like the FMCAssisst for $10 bucks!  So far, I have had 3 clubs offer the same for $99-$110...The latest was Shriners International for $110, that one I took, because it covers me any where in the World, regardless of what I'm doing...since I spend equal time outside the US as inside. :)

Just to save a couple of hundred bucks between tires...I don't get it ! 

Carl

Astro001,

Sorry hear that you may be dropping your membership. That is something only you can decide. I hate to see any member dropping their membership but remember your number is yours and will be ready if you decide to stay or rejoin at sometime in the future.

Good Luck and Happy & Safe Travels.

Herman