gelsw

Weather Station

I want to get a weather station for the RV.

Suggestions would be appreciated, but the real question is mounting on a pole (or something) that will be put up and taken down every time we move. Any ideas on mounting it? Have seen flag poles that maybe telescope....

40' Forza

2 hours ago, ShortBus said:

Suggestions would be appreciated, but the real question is mounting on a pole (or something) that will be put up and taken down every time we move. Any ideas on mounting it? Have seen flag poles that maybe telescope....

40' Forza

We have the Acurite 5 in 1 Weather Station - you will find varying prices all over the Internet.  We mount it on our ladder at the rear using a 16 foot fiberglass telescoping flagpole kit we purchased from Flagpolebuddy.com.  It includes the brackets for the ladder.  We extend the pole so the weather station is just a few feet above the roof.

Thanks Soot,

Had looked at that one and the reviews were love or hate. Was looking at a much more expensive Davis. How do you like yours, is it accurate?

We don't have a ladder to mount on, maybe I need to get one. Any other options, anyone?

I have seen flag poles that were mounted on a plate that was pinned down by a tire.  Put the plate in front of the tire, park on it.  Drop the pole into the open cylinder and you are in business.  When ready to depart, remove the flagpole with instruments and stow them, then drive off the plate and stow it.  Here is one example.  It might be something that you could make or have made for you.  Make sure there is sufficient clearance between the coach and the pole so the wind doesn't sway the pole and make it contact the coach.  Here is another product.  This one came from a page that had plans for a do-it-yourself but to download the plans they required downloading some additional software so I didn't look at that. 

There are also hitch mounted flag pole kits that will fit the hitch on your coach.  On our coach the hitch is busy with the towing hardware but if you don't have a toad, this may be a possibility.

7 hours ago, ShortBus said:

40' Forza

I just have to ask why. I get weather alerts on my phone. I don't need to know what the weather is at my location, I need to know what is coming. I can get all the weather from the national weather service. The important thing is to use something like Google Maps to see where you are when they transmit severe weather alerts, so you know if it is coming toward you or away from your location.

Bill 

3 hours ago, ShortBus said:

Thanks Soot,

Had looked at that one and the reviews were love or hate. Was looking at a much more expensive Davis. How do you like yours, is it accurate?

We don't have a ladder to mount on, maybe I need to get one. Any other options, anyone?

ShortBus,

We like ours.  We had a problem with the solar powered fan which pulls air through the outside unit for a true air temperature.  Acurite replaced the entire unit with no problem.  For our purpose, it is accurate enough - I calibrated the rain gauge after we got it and have compared it to a standard rain gauge.  We looked at the Davis equipment but did not feel like the price difference was justifiable. Here is a comparison of several systems.

http://topreviews.best/main-review/weather-stations?gclid=Cj0KEQjw6am-BRCTk4WZhLfd4-oBEiQA3ydA3jJ7lk37E7GJuJoWMuHXLo8uNl4ZIaTtdDSLgxWNG44aArAz8P8HAQ

You might take a look at some of the mounting options Tom Butler mention above.

Thanks, Butler!!

Some people are so ingenious it makes me jealous. That flag pole mount is one bright idea, I'll have to check these out.....

Bill, I'm confused by your question. I have, I assume, an above average interest. Have multiple weather apps on my phone including Radarscope, the one a lot of storm chasers use. In addition to the tv weather stations, the online weather apps and the fore mentioned phone apps I frequently view the numerous youtube weather related videos, especially the storm chaser videos that go into great detail in how supercells and tornadoes form. Last year we took the free tour offered by the National Weather Service Storm Prediction Center at Norman, OK. Not for every one but I can't wait to get back and do it again. Have taken every weather and climate related course that The Great Courses offers multiple times. And while in Oklahoma visited the impromptu memorial where the storm chasers where killed by the El Reno tornado May 31, 2013. For some reason that date sticks in my head. We watched the live tornado report on the weather station on tv while staying in an rv park in Gunnison, Colorado, which I also still remember. Considering the changing climate, my question is why are not more people highly interested. Currently in Gold Beach, Oregon and have been studying why in the last few weeks here on the coast we have highs in the 60's and fog yet just a few miles inland the temps have frequently been above 100. Just one of many interests that hopefully are helping to keep my aging brain cells sharper.

Soot, thanks for the info, I think I'll go with yours too!

I have had a Vantage Vue for 6 or 7 years, I like it and think it accurate. 

I use a flag pole mount from Flagpolebuddy.com on the ladder and bought a cheap 4' TV mast at Lowes. 

weather.jpg

Kay,

Understand the hitch mounted flag pole receiver:huh: but isn't it a pain to remove the tow bar and insert the flag pole rec. into the receiver? :unsure: 

Or do you have some sort of dual hitch? An over and under type or so?

Herman

Herman, yes I have an over and under hitch, that came from Harbor Freight, although I still use a tow dolly which has to be removed anyway, that is where I carry the golf cart, and auto.:D

On 9/22/2016 at 9:24 PM, bthomforde said:

I use a flag pole mount from Flagpolebuddy.com on the ladder and bought a cheap 4' TV mast at Lowes.

I don't have one of these yet but I saw one in operation on our last trip.  It is on my list of purchases. So easy to put up and take down.

Here's the web site, Flagpole Buddy

Watch the video.

If you decide to use various weather apps on your phone, possibly you might choose a indoor outdoor thermometer. Ours will handel 8 remotes, but we use only 3. One under the hood where it gets good air flow for the outside temp. 2nd is in the water bay to be sure we don't freeze even though there is a light aimed at the water pump on a temperature sensor to turn it on. 3rd is in the refrigerator to keep an eye on any changes in there. 

I don't carry my rock with me, I leave it on the deck at the house.  If it moves, it's windy, wet = rain and white, it's snowing or I have a seagull problem! :lol::P  Other than that, a weather alert and thermometer in/out is all I need...:wub:

Carl 

On 9/21/2016 at 9:24 PM, bthomforde said:

weather.jpg

I have one that looks like this one.  Got it Wal Mart for $100...we like the wind speed/direction it provides.  However, my ladder is not vertical and it takes some work to get the pole straight.  Got to be a PITA, so I took it home...it's now in the back yard.

I am using Camco Flagpole, very sastified with it. The flagpole can extend up to a staggering 20 feet in the air. When you are ready to go back home, it can collapse to just 64 inches in length. Furthermore, it is quite affordable.

1 hour ago, tom7020 said:

I am using Camco Flagpole, very sastified with it. The flagpole can extend up to a staggering 20 feet in the air. When you are ready to go back home, it can collapse to just 64 inches in length. Furthermore, it is quite affordable.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the information.

What RV are you mounting it on?

Bill

We bought the La Crosse Technology C83100-INT WiFi professional weather station about 9 months ago.  We had high hopes for it, as it was wifi connected, and we could check the weather at the coach when we were out and about.  It would even let us know what the temp and humidity was inside the coach in real time.  It worked well for a couple of months, then it just quit working.  The wifi connection became increasingly sporadic, and finally wound up udating only once every day or two, instead of continuously.  After doing some research, I found that this issue was a known problem with this unit.  I went through the reset procedures specified on the manufacturers website many times.  It didn't work.  They had a contact email (wouldn't take phone calls) to report the problem.  They said they would replace your defective unit after you filled out a detailed online form.  Filled out the form, and no replacement came.  No contact, either.  Money down the drain.  Don't buy this unit, as it does not work as advertised.  It will, however, still work to relay data from the outdoor sensors to the monitor in the coach.

As to the mounting of the outdoor sensors, I pound a 4' piece of rebar partially in the ground, and put a 6' length of 1" PVC pipe over it.  Mounted on the pipe is the wind sensor and the rain gauge.  When moving from site to site, it's quite easy to pull up the rebar, and transport the pipe and mounted sensors in the basement of the coach.

31 minutes ago, chindog said:

As to the mounting of the outdoor sensors, I pound a 4' piece of rebar partially in the ground, and put a 6' length of 1" PVC pipe over it.  Mounted on the pipe is the wind sensor and the rain gauge.  When moving from site to site, it's quite easy to pull up the rebar, and transport the pipe and mounted sensors in the basement of the coach.

Why? 50 years ago maybe but with todays teck  I can get instant weather reports. My best practice is to drop a pin in google maps where I am. That way I can  tell where the storms are tracking in relation to my location. I realey like to know when the reporter says the tornado is on the ground headed NE toward Spivey's Corner where that is in relation to me.

Bill

I have a WeatherFlow weather station that has a solar charger. I mounted it on a camera tripod.It also comes with an RVAir sensor that I set on a small aluminum table.