widewader

Satellite Antenna on my Pace Arrow 36D

The owner's manual for a 2007 Pace Arrow 36D states that I have a satellite antenna on my roof that is MANUALLY ADJUSTABLE. I know we have a typical TV antenna that is manually raised and lowered and adjusted via the also typical handle in the ceiling. There is also a big black dome (matching the vent covers) on the forward area of the roof that looks like it houses a satellite antenna. If that is the case, I can find nothing to adjust it. There are numerous electronic devices in cabinets on both sides of the front TV. One actually appears to have something to do with a satellite. The sales guy where we bought our RV had no knowledge of the satellite system. Anyone out there who might have a similar setup that can give me some idea what we are dealing with? Is it possible that the ordinary-looking antenna is a satellite antenna? I'm thinking it's only an ordinary antenna.

Let me restate something. The information I referred to was not an owner's manual. It was a detailed going over by a fellow who took it out back in the day for a look-see. Don't know if that matters. He must have gotten his information somewhere.

In all likelihood, the dome at the front end of your coach is the satellite.  You should find a control panel somewhere near your electronics.  In my coach, the satellite controls are in the panel above the entry door.  My satellite dish is outdated, so it's useless (2006) as far as I know.   Not sure I want to spend the money to replace the dome with a newer technology dish.  We rely on cable and over the air transmission mainly.

The ordinary antenna looking thing is an ordinary antenna :)

King Dome did make a manually adjustable dome but all other domes are fully automatic.  Can you get on the roof to see what you have up there?  I assume you mean the color black matches the vent covers and not the shape of the dome.  When you say one looks like it has something to do with a satellite, what do you mean?  Does it say King Dome or anything else on the face?  Does it look anything like this?

http://kingconnect.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/9630-9630-LP-Rev-N-01-18-07.pdf

Bill Adams,

Vent covers and the dome are both black which makes me think that all three are original equipment. There is a little black box in one of the cabinets above the windshield that has some terminology on it suggesting it has something to do with a satellite antenna. I have one of our Direct TV boxes in the RV that I've used with our carry-out Winegard Anser (?) (as usual, I can't remember the name). I would rather use the one on top to keep from carrying out and setting up or to have the option with the portable if trees, etc. are in the way. After I complete this wordy response to your post, I'll look at the link you posted. Thanks again.

Bill,

I've printed out the manual on the link. Not sure I'm dealing with King brand or an auto search antenna since the evaluation referred to in the original post mentioned "manual adjustment." I'm going to do what I should have done and empty both cabinets to see what's up there. Who knows what I might find. Possibly the answer to all my questions. I'll do that tomorrow and report what I've discovered. 

25 minutes ago, widewader said:

Bill Adams,

Vent covers and the dome are both black which makes me think that all three are original equipment. There is a little black box in one of the cabinets above the windshield that has some terminology on it suggesting it has something to do with a satellite antenna. I have one of our Direct TV boxes in the RV that I've used with our carry-out Winegard Anser (?) (as usual, I can't remember the name). I would rather use the one on top to keep from carrying out and setting up or to have the option with the portable if trees, etc. are in the way. After I complete this wordy response to your post, I'll look at the link you posted. Thanks again.

It is an Anser so you are doing OK there.  Great antenna, by the way.....  What do you see on the front of the little black box?  Describe anything you see.  Since this appears to be a used RV, even if the dome works, the previous owner might have been a Dish customer and not DirecTV.  This can be fixed but we need to know what, exactly, you have.

You can't get good advice without giving good information about what it is we're talking about.  It would be great if you'd put the year and model in your signature.  I suppose your Pace Arrow is vintage 2007 if you have the manual for it.  It may very well have been delivered with a crank-up satellite dish which was replaced by an automatic dome.  Before anyone can give you specifics about it, you'll need to give us the brand and model of that dome.  Once that's been determined, someone can point you to a site were you can download a manual for it explaining how to use it.  Depending on the model, it could be for Direct-TV or Dish Network - there's no way to tell without know more about it.  You may be able to set some switches to allow it to find either the Direct-TV satellites or the ones for Dish Network.  I carry a portable dome (why I've got two is a long story) to use when I'm given a site under the trees - that's worked great for us.  

Bill,

When replacing our dome with the Travler I found out that the newer units are service provider specific. The unit I replaced had dip switches that could be changed to different providers. Do the new carry out units have dip switches or are they also provider specific?

Herman