smilnjac

Surge Damage

1999 Harney Renegade (Class A)  Diesel pusher, Allison 6 speed Transmission  (Cat Engine)  This coach was later manufactured by Safari for a short period.

Went out to take the coach for exercise.  Generator started but would not supply power to the coach.  With shore power plugged in,  engine would not turn over.  Forward AC would not start and refrigerator was completely dead. Aft AC is OK.  Furnace would not start from forward Thermostat, but would from the rear thermostat.  Found I could start the engine by turning on the ignition switch and using the start feature at the rear service panel .  Once the engine started,  the "check engine lite" and the "do not shift" lite remained illuminated. 

Checking the automatic Transfer switch I was able to determine power was available to the switch both from shore power and from the Generator, did not know where to check the output. Once the engine started the kwikee entrance steps retracted and will not extend.  I attempted to have the coach towed to the shop but the Tow Truck as so enormous they couldn't maneuver in the subdivision.  The Allison push button control panel has all the LED segments of the indicator lit, and they stay lit even when ignition switch is off. 

After consulting with the shop, they said it would be OK to put the tranny in gear and move the coach enough to position to suit the tow truck, when we tried the coach would not go into gear. I really need to get the coach into gear.

1 hour ago, smilnjac said:

...After consulting with the shop, they said it would be OK to put the tranny in gear and move the coach enough to position to suit the tow truck, when we tried the coach would not go into gear. I really need to get the coach into gear....

Before you move it any way at all other than driving it, I'd call Allison.  Some tow operators are good, others not so much.

If you started the coach from the engine compartment and not the key, the coach will not move (at least mine won't).

You need to get the engine to turn over using the key and if it will not, any you have good battery voltage, there is likely a starter solenoid in the mix somewhere that either needs replacement or could be jumped.  As to the rest.......good luck!

Bill, is correct. You may start the engine with the remote switch in the rear of the coach, To do so you have to turn the key on then go to the rear of the coach place the switch in remote. once the engine is started you may either service what you need or return the switch to front. If you failed to return the switch to front you will not have controls up front. Try that again and be sure to return the switch to the front position.

Good luck.

HERMAN