hayesfamily

AAA Roadside Assistance

There have been a lot of comments in reference to various Roadside Assistance programs for motorhomes and towables. My question is how come nobody mentions AAA?  I went in the office and they offered. To upgrade to a different package they offer for my automobile and I told them that I was going to be leaving to go to Good Sam they offered me their RV coverage.  

I told him I would do some research and get back to him so ... Is there something I should know?

Big difference between a car and a coach!  If AAA has folks that deal with both all the time...no problem.  Is AAA available 24/7/365 to handle a Motor home?  Cost per year?  What's NOT covered?  I use Coach Net.  Why?  They are better equipped to handle large DP's, I'm 45 foot, heavy!  I also found that Good Sam was good for when I had gas coaches!

Check them all out, then make your decision, based upon what they offer and don't forget about who can safely tow your rig, if need arises...I have had one towed twice in 48 years!  You may never need that, but even one time, you need to know that the folks you deal with, knows what kind of tow truck to send.

Also, don't forget about Insurance for coach and everything on exterior of coach...make sure you get glass coverage!

Luck.  

Yeah I believe I'm switching to Good Sam for numerous reasons but the biggest concern I have is simply, if it's a situation I can fix at home and I'm within reasonable mileage of my home I would prefer my coach to be towed home.

I happen to be in their office and mentioned that I was in the process of getting another coach and they offered me their RV Insurance or whatever it's called. I looked through the fine print and you're absolutely right they don't seem to cover as much as some of the other folks would but the one thing I like about them is that they will tow my car home in the event there's an issue and not necessarily to one of their facilities.

Everything at Good Sam and Coach-Net says tow to the nearest service center but if my home is closer I almost prefer that. Nobody has been able to answer the question about Towing it home.

4 hours ago, HayesFamily said:

Yeah I believe I'm switching to Good Sam for numerous reasons but the biggest concern I have is simply, if it's a situation I can fix at home and I'm within reasonable mileage of my home I would prefer my coach to be towed home.

I happen to be in their office and mentioned that I was in the process of getting another coach and they offered me their RV Insurance or whatever it's called. I looked through the fine print and you're absolutely right they don't seem to cover as much as some of the other folks would but the one thing I like about them is that they will tow my car home in the event there's an issue and not necessarily to one of their facilities.

Everything at Good Sam and Coach-Net says tow to the nearest service center but if my home is closer I almost prefer that. Nobody has been able to answer the question about Towing it home.

One thing I want you to be aware of and it applies to most of the different companies, I am more experienced with Coach Net. You get a choice when you call in as to whether you want to have it towed or have a tech come out to you. If the tech can't fix it and it needs to be towed it is on your dime.

So what you have is a concierge service that has a list of people to call and that pays for the service call. You are responsible for parts and the techs hourly charge, usually less than a shop. The same for whatever shop it is towed to. Your plan to have it towed home may work but if the first "qualified" shop is closer you may have to pay the difference to your place.

Bill

Hey Bill

So am I correct in thinking if a qualified repair shop is closer then my home I have to pay the difference in mileage? Is that typical of Coach net and most other recreational vehicle type towing service? 

So in case there is an inquiring mind I've never had to use an RV towing service neither have I had to use a towing service for my boat on the water. The only experience I have ever had with that type of service was on a friend's vessel and they towed him from Annapolis to Baltimore which is about 13 to 14 miles on the water. They didn't try to take him to the closest Pier or Marina. They did not try to take him to a service place they brought him and the boat home. So this is kind of new to me in the sense I've only had to call Triple A for my car and it would only make sense at least in my mind which as we have all figured out I'm a bit out there, I would think that if you're within 50 miles of home and you choose to be towed home it would be no issue. 

I left Good Sams and went to AAA 4 years ago. Every time I called Good Sam, there was always a hitch, they would only tow to the closest facility even though I offered to pay the difference of 25 miles to the nearest versus 42 to my home. Have used AAA 4 times in the last years, always Johnny on the spot and have towed to my home on one occasion. Will never go back to Good Sams. Last year I had a breakdown in a major intersection, my wife informed me that she had not renewed our AAA membership while at the breakdown site. I called for the nearest wrecker that could handle my coach, he towed less than three miles, charge $525.00 for that tow which I paid cash as no credit card allowed for this service. When we returned home from that trip, I called AAA to renew my membership, the nice lady said that my membership had not expired, DW had auto-renew in effect. I explained the large tow bill to her, and she immediately e-mailed me a form to fill out which had to be sent back with the origional receipt. Less than two weeks later, the AAA check for $525.00 was in the mail.

So I finally got an answer to my question and I want to share because I CAN'T be the only one wondering (Or Maybe I am)

AAA VS Coach-Net or Good Sam

AAA gives you the SAME coverage that would be in your car --- So in my case my current membership would allow me 100 miles of towing free of charge to the destination of me Choice. There is a HUGE draw back to this and that is there is a 7 day waiting period to use this once you sign up. So technically I am covered because I had it activated because of the old coach, the motorcycle and cargo trailer***. The other draw back would be if we are in west Bum *&%^%^ and there is no service provider in that 100 miles. WE SCREWED!!! Thus the reason I am getting Good Sam or someone else. That $200+ an hour is nothing to play with and you have no clue where anything is. 

So at 2AM I learned AAA is OK if you need the basic coverage for your RV but not for BIG stuff. Don't need a tire changed, GOOD LUCK - the best your are gonna get is  Tire Change - Removing a flat tire from your vehicle and replacing it with your spare.  They don't make mention of anything else. No Spare --- YOU SCREWED

They will however give you up to $2K in attorney fees should you run over someone so -  that is about 10% of what it will cost you for an acquittal. 

For this gas coach Good Sam will give me more piece of mind than AAA. I know little about Coach Net but when I called the folks acted as if they didnt want to talk to me and answer questions. 

20 hours ago, Manholt said:

Big difference between a car and a coach!  If AAA has folks that deal with both all the time...no problem.  Is AAA available 24/7/365 to handle a Motor home? 
ACCORDING TO AAA YES THEY ARE AVAILABLE 24/7 FOR YOUR MH

Cost per year?  $50 + YOUR REGULAR PLUS MEMBERSHIP 

What's NOT covered? A BUNCH OF S**** SEE MY EXPLANATION !!!!

I use Coach Net.  Why?  They are better equipped to handle large DP's, I'm 45 foot, heavy!  I also found that Good Sam was good for when I had gas coaches!

Check them all out, then make your decision, based upon what they offer and don't forget about who can safely tow your rig, if need arises...I have had one towed twice in 48 years!  You may never need that, but even one time, you need to know that the folks you deal with, knows what kind of tow truck to send.

Also, don't forget about Insurance for coach and everything on exterior of coach...make sure you get glass coverage!
I NEED TO EXPLORE THIS MORE BECAUSE I AM SO UNDER INSURED FOR GLASS AND DIDNT KNOW. I HAVE A $1K DEDUCIBLE JUST FOR GLASS AND IM NOT SURE WHAT IS REALLY COVERED.  

***Long Story about what for another forum 

Hayes,

Sorry but I'm not trying to being sarcastic. It is your money and you should spend it in a matter that makes you feel comfortable. I myself have Coach-Net. Are they the best, I personally don't know. They have always come through for me. If AAA is the company that makes you comfortable go with them.

All of us here have learned by our own experiences and the advice from others. All of the ones we know best are the ones that went wrong. :o

Good luck.

Herman  

Had to have my front windshield replaced, about 8 weeks ago...$2,800+.  In 2011 a split front windshield was $1,200 each.  There are several good insurances that have disappearing deductible, for each year without a claim!   

As Herman just wrote, as I'm writhing!:D:rolleyes:

JMHO, but Good Sam and Coach Net are a toss up...AAA is good for smaller vehicles, not big MHs.  I have GS, used them once, they did fine...it was a RF blow out.

Keon.  It's a learning curve.  I had GS for all my gas coaches and can't complain.  For my DP's I have now and in the past used Coach Net, that said, I have not checked on GS since 2007.  They may have become more knowledgeable in bigger coaches.  FIVE has it and his is also a 45'!  

It's one of those things that you pray, you'll never have to use!!!

Carl 

On 9/11/2016 at 4:17 AM, manholt said:

Had to have my front windshield replaced, about 8 weeks ago...$2,800+.  In 2011 a split front windshield was $1,200 each.  There are several good insurances that have disappearing deductible, for each year without a claim!   

As Herman just wrote, as I'm writhing!:D:rolleyes:

I've had my windshield replaced twice in the last 5 years.  Just had to pay $250.00 deductible.  Allstate insurance.

Chris G.

F3505s

I carried Allstate for several years.  I think they called it Platinum, it was reasonable and good.  I never get less than $1,000 deductible!  Didn't want to change insurance, but when I got my present coach and called in the info...the girl that took all that, forgot to enter it into system, so 8 months later, when I went to office, I found out that I did not have anything insured except for my house!  Turned out to be the owners niece and Sorry about that, we'll take care of that now!  House, Jeep, car and truck went back to USAA, coach went to Progressive...3 years ago!  

Lesson learned, follow up a couple of day's later!  You will be giving the same info again, but the odds of two dinga lings in same office is slim!

Carl

Have AAA and it served us good on our Alaska trip this summer. Was lucky we were 77 mile from Whitehores when the radiator got a rock in it. Called AAA they had a truck out to pick up our DP in about 6 hours. towed us back to a shop that let us stay in the rig while they made repairs. while there met a couple that had GS. lucky for them, as their tow was 238 miles and it took them 2 1/2 days to get towed in. both cases fully covered. New North truck is a freightliner service center in Whitehorse that goes above and beyond for it customers. If in the Yukon and you need service they are top notch .

Bill