ldavid33

California Parks In February

Question

I'm gong to be stopping at Joshua Tree National Park in early Feb of 2017 in a 36 foot motorhome. I'm planning to go north to Death Valley, Sequoia Nat Park to Yosemite and on to San Francisco to visit family. On the way back down the coast, we are planning to go Hwy 1. Maybe parking the RV as many on the forums have suggested and driving the scenic areas in the toad.

The current plan is for this to take two weeks, (the first two weeks of Feb). My question, is, can I do this in Feb, or should I change my itinerary to more southern areas, although I do need to get to San Francisco for the family visit.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

8 answers to this question

IDavid33,

Here's a couple of options for you when you're in the Death Valley and Sierras (our old stomping grounds for 50 years before we left for Texas).

Another place we enjoyed out in the Desert is Red Rock Canyon.  It's a State Park with spaces that will accommodate your pusher.  No hookups so Boondocking all the way.  Nice walking trails and very different scenery vs. the High Sierras.

We've visited Yosemite several times.  Hard to get camping reservations but there are several RV parks just outside the entrance.  Try Oakhurst and Coarsegold.  In February you will encounter high elevation winter weather.

We've done highway 101 north into Oregon via 299 from Interstate 5 in our pusher and toad.  Beautiful ride with some very tight turns and steep hills.  We took it easy and had no problems.  Overnighted in a rest stop on 299 and woke up to an inch of snow on the coach!

Welcome to the Forum and enjoy your trip!

Blake

I live in the Bay Area, and my wife and I head for the ocean ever so often. My favorite way to drive highway 1 is on a motorcycle or in my Mercedes. There are some very tight, hairpin turns on highway 1 and regular construction. One of the worst turns way way north of SF is a very, very steep hill that is very scary coming down and into a horrid hairpin turn at the very bottom of it.

I can't imagine driving much of anything with a lot of weight or length down that beautiful and sometimes demonic stretch of road...a class B would be an exception.  So yes, park the mh wherever, drive in and stay overnight at a hotel on the ocean if you want. A great drive would be all of highway 1 in Calif and Oregon, staying where ever along the way. 

There still may be some snow in some places like Yosemite or up North, but if you stay until it partially melts and travel on clear days where no chains are required, it is one of the best times. Great time for photography and very few people around. Before you go check on the snow conditions that can require chains over the passes. 

When I use to ski, I checked the morning and evening snow reports. I avoided driving unless the roads and weather conditions were clear. I did take a C motorhome up skiing for a week. It froze up on the third day. No damage, as I left right away. 

Black ice is common. 

Darwin's law applies. 

Rodger S. 

Rodger.  I have been up and down that coast road from San Diego to Astoria, Oregon, more times than I care to think off, in all class A's gas and DP's from 22' to 45'.  It's not a race course, it's a lovely drive and most times I use a month doing it...not in Feb for your area.  I like the late Spring and early Fall.  First time was 1969 and last from Astoria was 2014.

Carl

Great Carl, I want to get some youtube video of you posted with a 45 ft dp in those hairpin curves, especially the one at the bottom of the hill. 

I really want to be impressed as you smoothy cut through it...and don't forget your towable. 

Let's set a date and I will buy the beer and some oysters, even if this post gets deleted again for challenging one of the forum untouchables. 

We will start and end at my house, traveling my favorite route. I will even grill a big steak for you.

No guts as they say, no glory. 

Note: just an add, there are regular road blocks/maintenance due to slides and other road conditions. If you can't turn around on a hair pin or fish hook, you will become part of the problem.  Also,  there is a lot of traffic and if you are going to drive slow or become part of the mess, you are creating a dangerous condition and a very bad day for all your fellow travelers. 

Rodger. 

Blake, I have not heard the name Red Rock Canyon in a lot of years.  That used to be the Finnish Line for the Mohave Desert Moto Cross race in the late 50's and 60's!  Normal winner was Steve McQueen!!  I had a modified Honda 150 Scrambler...You brought back some wonderful memories!  Your right about the Canyon, used to camp (tent) there a lot with Troop 222, Boy Scouts, Santa Monica.  Same with Camp Wolverton in Sequoia. 

Carl 

Carl......Troop 133 out of Bakersfield was always the best.  Especially at Jamboree!

We used to go to Red Rock Canyon in the winter because of the mild weather.  You probably remember how the wind blows there......well....one Thanksgiving I made the mistake of deep frying a turkey......grittiest turkey we've ever had.

Blake

Well thanks for all the info. I spoke to a ranger on the phone in Sequoia and he advised me to stay away from both Sequoia and Yosemite in the winter. He mentioned road closings and the chain requirement. He advised the southern parks like Joshua Tree and Death Valley. Since I need to go to San Fran to visit family during this trip, I think we will head from Joshua Tree to Death Valley, and up to San Fran for a week. Then down route 1 south. We will find a couple of RV parks along the way to park the RV and take the car along the coastal road then back to the RV at night. Then down to San Diago for a few days and then back east for the trip back to St Louis (maybe via Vegas). Any recommendations for RV parks in San Fran, along Route 1 south and in San Diago would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Pacifica is about 20 min from SF and has some nice parks,  don't have info on hand about which one, just Google, same with the Big Sur area and Monterey.

On 9/11/2016 at 5:02 PM, ldavid33 said:

I'm gong to be stopping at Joshua Tree National Park in early Feb of 2017 in a 36 foot motorhome. I'm planning to go north to Death Valley, Sequoia Nat Park to Yosemite and on to San Francisco to visit family. On the way back down the coast, we are planning to go Hwy 1. Maybe parking the RV as many on the forums have suggested and driving the scenic areas in the toad.

The current plan is for this to take two weeks, (the first two weeks of Feb). My question, is, can I do this in Feb, or should I change my itinerary to more southern areas, although I do need to get to San Francisco for the family visit.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum. Where are you coming from? Basically Death Valley is one way in and back out the same way. Allso I don't see a good direct road to it from Joshua Tree National Park. You might (depending on where you are coming from) do one park on the way into Ca and the other on the way out.

I was that way two months ago, we came in on 15 to Barstow then 58 to Bakersfield because we were headed north to Fresno, Kings Canyon, Yosemite area. The best road in is 120 from the West. But I am rambling I can't make a recommendation till I know where you are coming from and what road.   

Do not confuse the rout 1 and 101.

I have driven the 1 and 101 from the border to Washington state. You do not want to drive the 1 with your coach.  

Use RVParkey to find campgrounds and RV Reviews to see what people think about them.

Bill