five

Wiring Kit For The Toad

I've been having trouble getting all the lights on the rear of toad to work...14 CRV.  Been in the shop twice.  A friend suggested getting a kit and putting in separate bulbs and wiring for the toad lights.  Any suggestions as to where I can find such a kit appreciated.  Thanks.

I have wired several toads for both myself and friends. Always used diodes. Two for each side, one for the tail lights and one for the turn/stop lights. Used the bulk 4 conductor wire as shown in Jim's picture. It is a very easy task with running the wire from the front to the rear of the toad and deciding on which type of plug and where to mount it.

I am just not a fan of adding the extra bulbs into the lights. However many do and if it works for them great.

Herman

Jim and Blake, have you stood behind the toad with the brakes applied connected to the coach and by itself? All of the ones I have seen with this type of set up never hit the reflector properly in the brake lights and the end result is very dim stop lamps. My 03 Jeep had LED stop lamps, so these wouldn't have worked, I just used the Diodes on that vehicle.

In todays world since most drivers are distracted for one reason or another I always want to have the brightest of lights, especially stop lamps. I have tried to find a replacement 3rd brake light for the coach that flashes a few times when you step on the brake.

Joe,

Good observation.  The Ram truck stop lights aren't as bright as I would like.  But, the Mall Crawler lights are as bright as the factory.

Blake

My 2016 Mall Crawler is as bright as the OEM brake light. The 2005 Off road is also as bright. The only real down side is the third brake light doesn't illuminate.  Herman, I tried the diodes when I towed a Malibu. I had several problems with them to point I eventually rewired to the Blue Ox 88269.

I'm proud of you Blake for picking up on the mall crawler. Even a Wrangler can be classified a mall crawler before modifications are done to turn in to a real Jeep.

Thanks for the input.  When we got a new toad, Nov 14, had a dealer hook up the wiring and put on the base plate.  Never has worked right.  In the middle of our last trip, all lights on the toad quit working.  Tested the MH plug, it was fine.  Took the cover off the tail lights and saw a wire dangling.  Secured it, drove the toad behind the MH (pull through parking), hooked it up, everything worked.  When it came time to leave that CG, we were caravaning with friends.  Never even got out of the CG before he called and said the passenger side lights were all out...running, turn and stop.  Took both toad rear lights off, all appears to be secure.  One suggestion we got was to add a bulb to each tail light, hook up appropriate wiring and make the lights work like that.  Haven't done anything as yet, other than check to see that all wires are secure.

46 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

Five,

This is a one time offer. Come by Whitewright with your toad and I will wire it for you. 

This offer will self destruct in 48 hours.:wacko:

Herman 

:blink::lol:

Herman.  I could make it in 4, but I'll pass.  Mine is not super bright, but as a cop told me, with my coach lights, I'm good enough...that was in Acton, Ohio 5 years ago, as a woman was trying to explain to the cop why she didn't see me...she was standing there with the phone between her chin and shoulder, apparently forgotten, as she also swore up and down that she was not on the phone! :lol:  Damage to my Jeep, I needed a new tail gate, her Toyota's engine was attached to ball hitch! :D:blink: Her insurance was real nice, I got a brand new Jeep!  When I called USAA to give them the new VIN#, they asked if I wanted to drop the "old" one...then I told them what had happened.

The "old" one is here in Gladewater, been converted to a wild pig hunter...1, train head lamp and 2, fixed, AR-15's...been 2 years since we have seen, heard  or read sign of pig! :lol:

Carl, my last jeep I put LED tail lights on the back, gonna change this one also, very bright after the change over. Not expensive either, bought the lights from Quadratec. Just bolt on and plug in.

Thanks for the offer, Herman.  I've been by your fair city on a number of occasions...once when I missed the turn for US 82 West.:D  However, my passport has expired...they'll never let me cross the border.