Raylin

Paying a Fee for a Cat

We travel with our pet cat BeBe. I have really never challenged or even put myself in the position to challenge it, but do RV Parks actually charge for a cat like they do dogs? Our cat never leaves the RV. When I am asked if I have a pet, I simply say no, because I would have to leave the park if I were charged for my cat. Our cat's litter box is disposed of in a sanitary manner, the cat does not make noise, she does not bite; in other words, maybe I am making something out of nothing. But, it seems the RV parks are getting more and more into charging for anything and everything along with increasing the rates. That's why we joined various civic clubs who provide grounds when travelling.

We travel with anywhere from 1 to 4 cats (we have 7 at home). They, like yours, stay inside, use litter box, etc. Most of the time I don't mention them to the park management. A few times I have. I have never been charged, nor do I recall seeing anything (on sign, in brochure, website, etc.) of an rv park that charges for cats. Can't remember any charging for a dog either (we have one small dog that we do tell parks about when the ask about pets).

If a pet does NOT exit an RV for a walk,

I would not declare the animal as a pet.

This includes birds, rabbits, and other critters

that remain in cages if and when outdoors.

We too travel with two indoor cats. I have found that the best policy is not to mention the cats. Once, I had indicated on a reservation that I had pets, I was charged at a KOA for my two cats as though they were dogs ( $6 x 2 ). When I questioned the charge, they removed it and said that they generally do not charge for cats, but I have a sense that each individual KOA tends to do there own thing. In all of my travels I have never been charged or questioned about my two cats. As long as the cats don't roam freely, I don't think the campgrounds care that much. Can't see giving them the opportunity to charge you. The exception to this rule is State, County, National parks. If it says no pets, it means no pets.

Our cat, Honor, goes everywhere with us. I have been asked about pets, answered honestly, always telling them that she stays inside the coach unless she's in her fully contained stroller. I've never been charged, or even had it suggested. I usually mention it when I get the reservation, because for a cat, that stays indoors, to us, a charge would just be gouging.... We wouldn't stay there. I understand charging for dogs, because unfortunately for every one owner that picks up and polices their animal's droppings, there are 3 that don't, leaving the owners of the campground to do it. Hence, the charges begin. :rolleyes:

Here is a little different view on the question. What if the campground is asking not for charging an extra fee, but for if an animal is found roaming the campground it may help them find the pets owner.

Just a thought.

Hopefully it is ok for a dog person to put his 2 cents into this discussion. We travel with 2 beagles. We always clean up their mess. We always stop them from barking and never leave them outside unless we are with them and can quieten them. Never allow them to run loose, anywhere. If a campground asks if we have pets, we always say yes and identify the number and breed. If the campground attempts to charge for our dogs, we say thanks but no thanks and move on. Charging extra for pets says to us "we don't want you and your pets in our park" and we don't stay where we're not wanted!

We travel with our small dog. I understand if the campground allows animals and must carry additional insurance to cover liability which would not normally apply to cats. I have seen several locations on the web that charge a base rate for two individual as additional people, children, and pets are cost extra.

I avoid these places.

We too travel with pets (two english bulldogs). We have been to parks that not only charge extra for pets but actually charge a extra fee if you have a slide out and they charge per slide out (We never went back). Some of the parks are ridiculous in the extra charges they incorporate in their already high fees. If your cat stays in the coach, I would not declare him as that would be like asking you what personal belongings you have in your coach and than charging you exgta for them. We have seen some cat owners have a leash on their cat and walking them outside which may be a situation to declare your cat to the park.

(The cat in my picture would have been difficult not to disclose to RV parks, just wondering how they would access a fee, perhaps by the pound)

... unless she's in her fully contained stroller...

Do you have a picture of your "fully contained [cat] stroller"? I have never heard of one and I was just curious.

Trying to figure out how to make my outdoor/indoor kitties more indoors when we go full time.

Thanks

//Karl