RodgerS

PDI Training

I took this course separate from my inspector's training. The price is right and it is online, so very easy to complete. You should have access to a MH, of course, for the hands on practice. 

You will likely purchase some tools as well. 

Starts early October. 

Instructor for my class was a Certified Master Technician. 

Pre Delivery Inspection Course – RVTNC106.4
Recertification Hours: 28
Cost: $209

The PDI is one of the most common tasks associated with a selling RV dealership service shop. All new RVs must be “PDI’d” prior to delivery to the retail customer. Here, the students proceed, step by step, through the process of performing a quality PDI. Troubleshooting and repair techniques are not the focus of this course; rather this course teaches how to actually inspect and test the viability of all components found in every major system. All electrical, LP and plumbing gear, as well as all safety components and add-on accessories are closely inspected and operated. After successful completion of this course the student will effectively be able to:
  • Define the scope of a PDI (inspection and documentation)
  • Review the information on a PDI sheet
  • Perform hot skin test and neutral-ground isolation test
  • Conduct a polarity test
  • Check generator operation and output
  • Check AC electrical system performance (including transfer switch and GFCI)
  • Verify operation of all 120-volt AC appliances
  • Check battery condition
  • Check interior and exterior lighting
  • Check DC electrical system performance
  • Verify operation of all 12-volt appliances
  • Inspect LP container installation and understand data plate information
  • Conduct a LP drop pressure test
  • Adjust LP regulator operating pressure
  • Conduct LP regulator lock-up test
  • Document and verify any and all test results
  • Check appliance operation and performance
  • Leak test waste system and holding tanks
  • Check and flush the waste systems
  • Check the fresh water supply and drain system
  • Check water pump operation
  • Flood test holding tanks
  • Check termination valves and caps
  • Check holding tank mounting
  • Perform drain system flow test
  • Check tire pressure
  • Check lug nut torque
  • Conduct under-vehicle visual inspection
  • Verify operation of DOT lighting
  • Check automotive fluid levels, belts and hoses
  • Verify operation of all switches, indicators and gauges
  • Check operation of back-up monitor and mirrors
  • Road test RV
  • Check landing gear, stabilizers and tongue jacks of travel trailers and fifth wheels
  • Adjust and set up electric brake system on tow vehicle
  • Document and record defects
  • Clean and detail RV
  • Check interior and exterior surface finishes
  • Check furniture and soft goods operation and appearance
  • Verify correct window, door and storage compartment operation
  • Insure operation of all locks and keys
  • Install OEM loose items
  • Verify operation of CO and LP leak detectors and smoke alarms
  • Check and inspect fire extinguishers
To register, go online to,  https://lifelearn.northampton.edu/modules/.
  • Click on View Catalog under Center for Business and Industry (CBI).
  • Click on Technical and Trades.
  • Search for course and follow registration procedure.
  • Call 610.861.5390 if you have problems with registration.

Rodger S. 

RodgerS,

Sounds like an interesting course for someone that wants to be certified technician to perform PDIs.  But not for me.

Before we bought our coach we studied, drove and asked a lot of questions to owners of all sorts of RVs.  Although we had owned several RVs before, I soaked up as much information as I could.  After a few months we made the decision to purchase what we have now.  Eleven years later, I am still learning and enjoying the RV lifestyle more than ever.

Looking back.....the coach we own now may not have been the coach we would buy today.  Just because our travels and interests are a bit different now.  Thinking about it, we probably would have opted for a 45' with a tag axle given what we do now.  That is, we're burning miles on the open road rather than tooling around the High Sierras when we first bought.  No amount of study and schooling could have changed that decision.

I kind of look back at my career in the real world.  I worked with a petroleum engineer with great credentials and extremely bright.  He could cite theories and equations at the top of his head.  I never thought I could compete with the likes of his intelligence.  But what I realized, he could never pull the plug and write programs that led to the bottom line.  Others said he had analysis paralysis.  I used this advice to help me get off dead center when we purchased this coach.

So, really no regrets.  Just like our home and property, when stuff goes bad (s*$t happens) I figure out what to do.  Either from folks that have been there, done that.....or, by research through great forums as this.

I hope I don't sound condescending but if so, I apologize.  Just my opinion.

Blake

Blake, I was never a "Analysis Paralysis " Drilling Consultant...never overthink a particular situation!  As for PDI, the Manufacturer is suppose to do it before delivery to Dealer, who is suppose to do the same before giving coach or trailer to buyer...we all know, that don't happen!  Not a perfect world and time is money!  Have a lady next to me, in a 12' Allegro Bus 40' with a broken slide out, spoke to her and she has intimate knowledge of Red Bay, Al. knows everybody, from Bob Tiffin to the floor sweeper, by their first name! :lol:

Carl

I look back at when we bought our coach.  Lot's of beers and years ago but some of the "oooops" are still vivid.  The day we picked up the coach was a couple of weeks later than the day we inked the deal.  One reason for that is the dealer had to PDI the coach and perform final detail.  Mind you......very well respected and knowledgeable dealer in Northern California.

The first night we camped at a local park to the dealer.  Deb and I were giddy as heck, pushed out the slides and started exploring the coach.  We woke up to water covering a good portion of the bedroom floor.  Guess what, the clothes washer water fitting line was leaking.  I shut off the water line at the manifold and called the dealer.  They sent techs out to the campground and all was well. 

Time to break camp and head down the mountain.  One of the bedroom slides wouldn't come in.  Call to dealer again, they sent techs and fixed that.

Throughout the early years we visited the Monaco facility twice to have things repaired.  Ditto to the dealer......all done professionally and under warranty.  However, there was one issue that never got resolved to my satisfaction.  The airbag leveling system (Firestone) really didn't work well.  Sometimes the coach would level, other times it wouldn't.  Long story and way out of warranty, Action RV was able to diagnose and fix the problem this year.

The past seven years or so we haven't been able to use the coach as much as we would have liked to.  I was working all over the world and had a foreign assignment in PA for four of those years (sorry Joe.....no offense:D) and the coach was quietly tucked away in the garage at home with Deb.

So, borrowing a term from Puff....I'm back in the saddle and learnin, fixin and improving as we go.

Blake

"analysis paralysis"

The purpose of the post was to provide a resource for those who understand the value of doing their own PDI, maintenance, etc. It was a darn good course when I took it and I had access to multiple motorhomes to practice on.  

As to analysis paralysis, I would have purchased a coach two years ago, except for two unresolved personal issues I have mentioned in the past and have probably been forgotten by some readers. For now, I tend to research the various forums to continually expand my knowledge and engage with other owners until at least one of those issues has been resolved, so I can "use" the coach after I purchase it. 

Worrying about someones sensitivity is necessary for some, but not for me.  

Rodger S. 

Blake, interesting story :lol:, glad you were so close when the problems occurred. Both purchases for us the dealer gave us a 60 day bumper to bumper warranty, only on the DP did I have to use it. My washer/dryer also leaked, just internally tossed that thing out the door and forgot about it.

While we have never purchased new, doubt we ever will. Both times (and one was in the winter) the dealers had the units hooked up to water. We went through them front to back under the hood etc, flowed water into the tanks, ran the pump and pulled it from the fresh tank. They showed us how to use everything. The 1st coach was bought in Mt Pocono PA in February (20 degrees outside that day and cloudy), when we were done they showed me how to winterize it and we did it together. I have read bad experiences with purchasing new and used but haven't experienced it yet for myself.

This is another interesting recent story regarding a Newmar Bay Star (a gas coach).

bevo7: "Our full wall slide won't go out...Called Newmar...to no avail. We had to cut short a 3 week trip early in the year because of an AC issue...We also have had a leveler issue first time out. Had the MH since Oct 2015. My wife has about had it...I know there are issues in the beginning with new MH but this seems a little much...Disgusted but staying patient."

My basic premise seems solid: more knowledge and self-reliance tends to result in better experiences than being put into a situation where one relies heavily on the "industry" to stay on the road. The above issues wouldn't phase me as I have worked on slides, A/Cs, and levelers...and received a good troubleshooting/repair education as well. These issues are just par for the course from my point of view. 

Rodger S. 

For some reason, that only Gremlins know, nothing happens to a new or used unit until after you pay and drive out of sight...you can test drive the coach, stay overnight in it, PDI it until h freezes over...drive out with title and it's like another coach !

RodgerS.  In another post about 3 months ago, you said that the Newmar was the cats meow..DP or gas! :D

Carl

Is this post just an advertisement for a paid business offering for an on-line, non-certified, non-anything, reading course?

" After successful completion of this course the student will effectively be able to.......does that mean #1 or #2.  Overall it sounds like #2 to me (pun intended).

1. in such a manner as to achieve a desired result.
    "make sure that resources are used effectively"
    2. actually but not officially or explicitly.
    "they were effectively controlled by the people they were supposed to be investigating"

Hello Carl,

Yep, I think there are several Cat's meows out there and Newmar is one of them. Even the meows turn into screams at times.

I also like PleasureWay, DRV, Dynamax and several others.  (include PranQster Beer for lubrication)

As to Gremlins, there are a lot of upset posts from owners on all the forums I read. Most interesting to me are those who have suffered multiple disappointing and even severe consequences having failed to do a good PDI themselves, new or used, and those who discover issues that were easily discoverable with a bit of research. I really don't consider whether or not to do a quality PDI and specific model research an issue from my perspective.

I always thought that discussing information and ways to helping fellow posters avoid problems was just important as solving problems, but I appreciate that the fact I don't own a motorhome and that draws a lot of irritation and frustration my way, and many may not agree with me. 

It could be anywhere from a month to two years before I purchase an RV. No hurry, am not feeling any pressure,  frustration, or that I'm missing anything. I'm also happy to be a lightening rod for, let's say, interesting replies. 

I told my wife her RV budget plus my RV budget, plus what I don't plan to leave to my interesting children (a lot), will easily pay for whatever I decide to purchase. My math is also different. :rolleyes:

Rodger S. 

"Is this post just an advertisement for a paid business offering for an on-line, non-certified, non-anything, reading course?"

I think they are trying hard to get more service providers to become aware of the fact that this is an effective way to self-educate their service personnel. Historically, as it was represented to me by my instructors, the service managers tend to strictly focus on hands-on experience (even if outside the industry), especially as many, at least the ones I met, were uncomfortable referring to written materials. 

I recognize that not everyone can make the connection between written materials and the work in front of them, but I was able to do it and it really accelerated my learning, particularly troubleshooting skills. 

Even though I didn't own an RV, I did work on 2 to 6 daily. Many of my fellow service mechanic were frustrated that they were not the only source of my learning and that I was able to take over and fix some things they could not fix...because of my "reading." But I appreciate this was frustrating and irritating to some. 

Rodger S.