glsponchos

Two Burner Propane Stove Top

Still learning about our 2010 43QGP Allegro Bus.  I appreciate the help and support, as well as tolerance for my many questions.

We have a two burner propane stove.  Its the only propane device in the unit.  The left side works fine.  Strong, blue flame.  The right side will light, but goes out immediately when I release the knob.  While its lit the flame is strong and blue.  I've held the switch in for up to a minute.  The automatic lighter clicks the whole time. 

Camping world tech (Gee, hope this one spark another toilet paper war  :) ) told me the burner was dirty and needed cleaned.  Does that make sense to folks? 

Seems more like a thermal coupler issue, but not sure if these units have those installed. 

If folks agree that cleaning can help is there a good youtube video on the procedure ?

Not even going there.  My coach had a similar problem, right after purchase.  I had the gas stove and LP tank removed (nice big storage bay now), replaced stove with a Sears electric 3 burner.  Happy!  I would suggest you do an Induction stove top...I would.

Carl

GLSPonchos,

I love it when members ask question because I always learn from the answers and often use the Q&A to improve something in my coach.

If your stovetop is the only think that runs on propane, you may want to consider making a conversion to convection as Carl mentions above.  That way you can ultimately get rid of that heavy propane tank.  Read Jleamont's posts regarding removal a propane tank.

I'd like to be able to do that but it would require major reconstruction surgery for us.  We don't have Aqua Hot and rely on the furnace and heat pumps.

What brand stovetop do you have?

Blake

1 hour ago, blakeloke said:

GLSPonchos,

I love it when members ask question because I always learn from the answers and often use the Q&A to improve something in my coach.

If your stovetop is the only think that runs on propane, you may want to consider making a conversion to convection as Carl mentions above.  That way you can ultimately get rid of that heavy propane tank.  Read Jleamont's posts regarding removal a propane tank.

I'd like to be able to do that but it would require major reconstruction surgery for us.  We don't have Aqua Hot and rely on the furnace and heat pumps.

What brand stovetop do you have?

Blake

It is Induction cooktop not convection.  They run on 1/2 the current and heat twice as fast ( I tested the induction against the standard electric ) and are easy to clean.  I am using a single counter top induction unit.

Below is a photo of the installation I completed in our coach. Glad to be rid of the propane cook top. The induction not only cooks faster it also produces no fumes inside and very little heat excess heat. I removed a double burner "Princess" unit, still have it if anyone wants it. Free to a good home :lol:

cooktop.JPG

Blake.  On my 07' Tour, I had no Aqua hot either, so I replaced my gas stove with the same as this coach...just needed a designated CB.  Then got rid off no cold and had a residential fridge put in.  The hot water heather and furnace was gas!  If I was to do it today, it would be Induction, like Joe's!

Carl

glsponchos!

The thing I would look for is something that got spilled into the burner and the outside surface got cleaned, but the openings and burner fuel orifice is plugged.

The DW loves to can items when they are in season and I get a lot of practice cleaning the gas stove. No electric stoves as they do not have linear temperature controls.

Rich.

I know you know your coach better than anyone, but are you sure you don't have an RV fridge that uses propane or a propane furnace?  If not, your coach would be like mine, but that's pretty rare.

Now, to get back on topic.......It does sound more like a thermo-coupler to me than anything related to being dirty based upon your description of the flame.  That assumes the flame is also the size you would expect it to be.  You can remove the top of the stove and look at all the wiring without any tools (most cases anyway). 

You should see a probe in the center of the flame when you attempt to start the burner.  If it is out of place (or missing....has it ever worked?) then you have likely found the issue.  If you do see a thermo-coupler at both burners you should be able to trace the wiring and swap them.  Now if the non-working unit works you have also found your problem and a new coupler will get you back in business.

There is another possibility and that is that it is getting too much air and blowing itself out.  There is usually an aluminum collar with a screw and an adjustable opening.  It's worth a try if yours is setup that way.

OP has an Aqua hot and residential fridge. 

He wrote that stove is the only gas entity in coach...just like mine was! 

Carl

The way we always cleaned a gas stove burner is to remove the stove top, usually slides in one direction and lift off. Next, of course make sure that the burner has not been lit lately and is not hot, lift up on the burner and slide it off of the orifice housing. We always prepared a hot water solution with dawn dish washing liquid, submerse the burner into the solution and let stand several minutes, take it out of the solution and rinse well with hot water. Let the burner hang up and dry before replacing it. "IF" the unit is clogged, it is usually grease or syrup like substance. Most stove top burners do not have a thermo couple, the igniter serves both purposes. Here is wikihow web page also, http://www.wikihow.com/Keep-a-Gas-Stove-Clean

A word of caution, "DO NOT USE ANY FLAMMABLE CLEANING FLUID" , petroleum or naptha based for cleaning the burners.

3 hours ago, Dickandlois said:

Carl, I think I was trying to spell Linear and spelling is a weak link for sure.

Rich, zoom in on the controls in my photo. I can raise or lower the heat and power level to the burner. Which is pretty linear when you think about it, you just cant see it like an open flame. While it is a little confusing at first having two controls it does warm up faster than propane and cools just as fast, but without all of the excess heat around the pot or pan and no fumes. I will caution everyone, don't try and run one on a MSW inverter, it doesn't like that and will not turn on. You stop to cook run the generator.

Rich, I bought a Nuwave portable induction at WM this June for $99, it came with a fry pan & 4qt. pot.  Very good results, it has a programmer with timer and precision heat settings!

I also fought with myself about having one...now, I wish I had it instead of my Sears Elect.

Carl  

There is one thing that comes to mind on the OP's question, is that does each burner control have a piezzo built into the knob? This is what strikes the arc, do you push in and hold each knob, or is there one knob for gas on each burner and another that you push and hold to strike the burner. Mine is the second one described, if it is the first described, there may be a battery within the control, usually the knob screws off of the unit and you will find a "AA" battery behind the knob, if it is of this style, the burner attach to that knob will not stay lit. As Joe pointed out, the induction cooktop has infinite control, and is the best thing for cooking since we want to change from propane to electric, Just remember to use good quality induction cookware.

The cook top in the photo was $299 on eBay, other than a jig saw blade and a switch it was very simple to install if you decide to go that route.

2 hours ago, jleamont said:

The cook top in the photo was $299 on eBay, other than a jig saw blade and a switch it was very simple to install if you decide to go that route.

I took your lead and ordered one last night.  Found one on eBay, new in the box, for $210 and free shipping.  I have been using portable induction cook tops for about 10 years, first saw them in Asia and had to have one.  At home we have had an Samsung induction range for several years.

glsponchos,

Here's the wiring diagram for our stove in case you have the same model. 

Still amazed at Joe's retrofitting and craftsmanship!  I'm putting that mod on my list.......getting longer by the day!

Blake

20160913_081907.jpg

About and hour ago I got finished replacing my Princess propane two burner cooktop with a two hob True Induction cooktop. The Princess cooktop was the only propane in the rig and had only a 5.5 gal tank. Took me days to safely burn off the 4 gal or so it contained.

I bought a portable unit at Wal*Mart for just less than $40 that came with a frypan to try out. I have gas in the stick house and the induction unit is much faster and controllable.