markletheridge

350 Cummins Operating Temperature

I have had coolant problems since I bought this 2008 Fleetwood Discovery used about 2 years ago. Belt broke on way home with it. Replaced along with other stuff that was damaged. Low coolant light then came on, coolant level was fine, they replaced and cleaned radiator replaced fan clutch, fan, turbo cleaned radiator and other stuff for about 15k. Low coolant light came on again on way home. They replaced computer of some type. Fine for a year, low coolant light back on again. Replaced sensor again. Stopped. Light came on again so I jumped the sensor so it would not shut down engine. It is jumped now. 

Had a mobile mechanic service engine, he found the fan relay was severed I guess, when the belt broke. Fan runs all the time. He has not been back to replace it.

Now I am monitoring the temperature carefully, operating range is from 180-220.The mobile mechanic says that is fine to almost 230.220 is close to the red line on my gauge.  I slow to keep it below 220. 

Does anyone have any idea what range is safe?

markletheridge,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

I agree with you, I would certainly keep coolant temperature below 220 degrees F.

While slowing down will help, be sure you climb long grades in a gear that keeps engine RPM in the upper half of its RPM range.  So, for your ISC 2000- 2100 RPM. that turns the water pump and fan faster.

Also, if you find yourself in a gear where you can not accelerate, drop a gear.

Mark, Welcome to the FMCA Forum!!

Welcome also to the learning curve all of us are still on. Coach builders change things and we try to keep up.

Do you know if anyone has checked or replaced the Engine Thermostat? I know that sounds to simple, but a few years back, I was convinced it was bad on our coach and Cummins, service centers and repair shops all thought I was nuts. So we drove very slowly to the Factory service center and put the item on our service order. When it was removed the tech paged me to see what it looked like and noted - I do not think it is supposed to look like that. LOL

The second item to look at is the engine brake or Pac brake system is free and opening up properly.

The devil is in the small details!!!  And many have missed a few!

They have not come up with a little RED button that pops like they do in the Thanksgiving Turkey yet that says I'm done.

Rich.

Mark, one more thing to add as it happed to me. My gauge is inaccurate by 20 degrees. So when I am seeing 200 I am actually at 180, I monitor it electronically now with "Scan Gauge" so I can prolong the gray hair for as long as possible :D.

Your operating temperature should run from whatever the thermostat is to not more than 215 on hills. Re read what wolfe10 posted. When the temperature starts to climb drop one or two gears or as needed to increase engine speed and reduce loading on the engine.

Bill