luckydog1949

Vehicle Administrative Service (VAS) Failure

On 4/26/2016 at 1:40 PM, FMCANationalOffice said:

Under the FMCA Roadside Assistance Program, powered by Vehicle Administrative Services (VAS), mobile tire service is provided if a spare is not available. That had been inadvertently omitted from the website but has been updated.

(I stumbled across the above post in another Roadside Assistance thread.)

If I wasn't so ticked off at the FMCA Roadside Assistance Program, right now, I'd be rolling in the floor laughing!  TODAY, I called FMCA Roadside Assistance for help with a tire on which the valve stem core had failed, dumping all of the air out of our passenger-side, outer, rear dual tire.  I had new tires put on our rig in March 2016.  I discovered the valve stem core problem right after rolling into a campground in Montana.  I was told, after asking for roadside assistance and telling the woman who answered that we did not have a spare tire, that, "We don't do that sort of thing.  All we will do is tow you to a place where it can be repaired."

So, FMCA Roadside Assistance will tow my motor home, ON A FLAT TIRE, to somewhere, where they will now not just have to replace the valve stem core, but will have to replace a $500 tire, at MY expense!  There is no telling how much damage would be done to the motor home body, in that process.  The tow would have probably cost far less than it would have cost someone to bring out, and change the valve stem core.

I "joined" the roadside assistance program because my health is such that I need the help, NOT so they could thumb their nose at me when I needed that help.  Since it seems that we will just be left to fend for ourselves, mark me down as someone who WILL NOT RENEW THIS SERVICE AT ANY COST, and probably won't pay for another one...

I've become so frustrated with ALL "roadside services", including VAS, that I've just given up on them all; so, I haven't pursued it further.  I don't need the aggravation...

We disconnected the towed, found some new valve stem cores, and I replaced the core.  Thankfully, it was the outside dual.  That got us to Bell Fourche, SD, when I found that it was leaking, again.  In spite of me telling them that I had already replaced the valve stem core, the tire shop did exactly the same thing (expecting different results.)  That got us to Murdo, SD, where I found it losing air, again.  They replaced the entire valve stem; and, it's holding well.  We are back at our home base, in Louisiana, after a stop at the Winnebago factory (for other issues.)

We replaced all of our tires in March/April, before our trip to Alaska; so, we were facing the possibility of destroying a new tire.  And, VAS's proposed "solution" (that they would only tow it - on the flat) would have done exactly that.  That's not the "peace of mind" I expect from a roadside "service" organization...

Safe travels,

Tom

Tom,

If you have room you might consider keeping 1 or 2 of the old tire as spares while on the trip to Alaska. You never know if there might or might not be a tire your size at a location when you need one.

Have a great trip and let us know how it was.

Herman

2 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Tom,

If you have room you might consider keeping 1 or 2 of the old tire as spares while on the trip to Alaska. You never know if there might or might not be a tire your size at a location when you need one.

Have a great trip and let us know how it was.

Herman

Herman, we were on our way back from our Alaska trip when we had problems with the valve stem.  We left here on May 1 and just got back to Louisiana on October 10th.  It was a great trip, except for the experience with VAS.  Storage room was at a premium, though, so no spares.

Tom

5 hours ago, luckydog1949 said:

Herman, we were on our way back from our Alaska trip when we had problems with the valve stem.  We left here on May 1 and just got back to Louisiana on October 10th.  It was a great trip, except for the experience with VAS.  Storage room was at a premium, though, so no spares.

Tom

TOM i am super shocked!!! I dont know what to say other than your better at handling that than me. They would have had to give me a better explanation than that. Thats a HUGE reason i elected not to get RV coverage from AAA. I asked them very specific questions and I got the same "we dont do that sorta thing" attitude. Like why offer a service that you cant do?

After talking to Herman and a few other folks I decided to go with Good Sam. We primarily will travel the 95 corridor so I'm hoping that keeps down some of the potential issues with service providers and such. Man I am sorry that happened and glad your back home safe.