manholt

ISX Cummins engines

Can someone please post the serial # 's for all the engines that had the ISX problems?  or the years of manufacturing?

Carl

Thank you...that did not give me a warm fuzzy feeling...02'-06' bad EGR and not good on Turbo.  The only thing it did not answer, is what effect it has on MH application, since we don't put on 500K-1 million miles on our coaches.

Got to do more research in ref. to 500hp and 525hp pre 06' engines.

Carl

The new Cummins 500 hp is an ISX 12.  If you are looking used, the ISM is a 12.  Don't think they are putting any ISMs in MHs.  We have a couple of friends with the 500 hp ISM...seem to like them fine.

In the last 48 hours, I have found a lot of coaches with the ISM 500...per Joe it's near indestructible, as long as it is regularly serviced.  The other coach I'm looking at, has the Cat 625 C 15.  Not messing with any ISX, even now Volvo has big problems with them...that's what they run in Prevost now since there is a partnership between Volvo Engine and Cummins!

Our ISX 650 has dropped a valve in # 6 twice, first time at 14,000 miles under warranty for the first owner. Then it did it a second time at 45,000 miles after buying the rig 2,500 miles earlier. So far it's gone through three turbos and two DPF's. The engine repair was over $33,000 and Cummins did pick up $10,400 of it but still....

Engine is strong when running and I certainly don't get in anybody's way getting on a freeway.

Carl, have you looked at any of the AC Eagles?  My Eagle has a DD 500, 1,650 ft/lbs of torque and 12.8L.  Although relatively new to MHs, there are thousands out in the commercial truck industry.  No issues....yet.

FIVE.  Not lately, I have had all I want from AC...I needed a bay door for my coach, was told they would ship the one I needed in 3 days, told them where to ship it,  Oh, your not at AC in Texas?  No.  "I just remembered it's on back order, be approximately 40 business days"...My door is currently in San Antonio being duplicated, be back on coach Tuesday!

I'm not brand oriented...:angry: I will not re new my ACC, and I will not buy another AC.  I don't have the time left to play games...Back order, engine battery compartment bay door on a 2010, 45 foot Tradition?  BS!

Carl

Had a Series 60 Detroit in my last truck. Knew several owner operators that also owned them. Not a complaint one.

5 hours ago, obedb said:

Had a Series 60 Detroit in my last truck. Knew several owner operators that also owned them. Not a complaint one.

Do you know what the difference is between a DD 500 and a Series 60?  There is very little info on the DD 500, had a very hard time simply tracking down an oil filter.

The DD 500 is a very new engine, engineered after Benz bought the Detroit name from maybe Penske? As Joe has pointed it is a new rascal. The Series 60 12.7 liter has been around since the late 80's. Very reliable and just got better and better. Had a Pac Brake on my last engine after the Jacobs patents finally ran out. Awesome braking power. If I was shopping for a used Prevost or Bluebird I would only buy a Series 60. The ads show that they are widely available. Joe Leamont knows a lot about the newer DD engines. His employer uses them. Won't divulge the name, but they are well respected company.

Five, the DD is a Daimler engine. The Series 60 was when Penske owned them, the company was sold when the GHG07 was on the table. Completely different animal. At 500hp it must be a 15.0L? Ours are DD13's at 450, and I believe that is almost maxed out for the DD13. I almost bought the fleet this year with the DD15 due to its advertised with better fuel economy with the same HP as the DD13. Stocking more parts for 18 shops would have made our parts manager upset and would have been a hard sell to the Board so I didn't do it.

On 10/4/2016 at 2:54 PM, manholt said:

Your 09' was built in 08', CC went full Bankrupt.  and now is owned by Winnebago! :lol:

Lots of rigs are built in a different year as are cars. Doesn't matter, the ISX is a 2007 EPA CM-871 DOHC unit.

Cummins has come out with new heads, valves, ECM programming and turbo to correct the problem. Cummins guaranteed, in writing, that we had the latest parts in ours.

And I don't think much of Winnebago buying out Bob Lee, one of the main distinctions of the CC line was the DynoMax chassis. I don't think Winnebago will bring that back. Would put the cost of my rig up over $1,000,000 now.

Yes, emissions requirements are based on date of ENGINE production, with January 1 being a common date for changes in emission requirements. 

So you could have an engine 2 years older than your coach-- each time there are major changes/price increases, many engines are produced just before the change over date.

On 10/8/2016 at 4:10 PM, jleamont said:

Five, the DD is a Daimler engine. The Series 60 was when Penske owned them, the company was sold when the GHG07 was on the table. Completely different animal. At 500hp it must be a 15.0L? Ours are DD13's at 450, and I believe that is almost maxed out for the DD13. I almost bought the fleet this year with the DD15 due to its advertised with better fuel economy with the same HP as the DD13. Stocking more parts for 18 shops would have made our parts manager upset and would have been a hard sell to the Board so I didn't do it.

Yes, I know about Daimler owning DD.  Are you saying the DD is a newer version of the Series 60?  Here are the numbers for mine: 500 hp, 1,650 ft/lbs of torque and 12.8L...it's used primarily for LTL freight according to their publications.

Five, the DD engines are nothing like the series 60. They are like two different manufacturers now, with the same corporate name. The DD engines are more like Mercedes and the series 60 are more old school Detroit Diesel with a modern swing. You are correct, they are primarily used in moving freight, both of them. Both are very good engines. From what I see the series 60 is not as good on fuel. We see on average 5 mpg on the series 60 and 7 mpg on the DD13 with no real difference in power. As with all engines they have their pros and cons, none are prefect.