blacklabapril

Chassis Work In Michigan

Looking for help and recommendations. I am new to the RV life this year. I have called all around to the RV centers and can not find a place to take my RV for Chassis work like a Tune up and for the dash air condition.

I live in Michigan and any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Welcome to the forum. A lot depends on what make model RV we are talking about. It helps to get good answers if you put that information in your signature.

Bill

19 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Welcome to the forum. A lot depends on what make model RV we are talking about. It helps to get good answers if you put that information in your signature.

Bill

Thank you Bill for responding, I have a 2003 Georgie Boy Cruise Master with less then 8,000 miles. We bought it from the grandson of the deceased owners. With the low miles we assume it has sat for several years. It looks like new and we are very happy with it so far but just would like a good place to take it for some general maintence  work.

19 hours ago, partsrod said:

What part of Michigan, I know of shops here in Sturgis that would do that kind of work if it is a gas unit.

Thank you for responding, I live in lower Michigan in Romulus by Metro Airport. Yes we have a gas unit.

4 hours ago, blacklabapril said:

Thank you Bill for responding, I have a 2003 Georgie Boy Cruise Master with less then 8,000 miles. We bought it from the grandson of the deceased owners. With the low miles we assume it has sat for several years. It looks like new and we are very happy with it so far but just would like a good place to take it for some general maintence  work.

Is it Ford or Chevy chassis? Most any place can work on it see if the dealer for that chassis has a truck shop at the dealership. You might have good luck with a mobile repair tech who can come to you to do the work.

Please check the date code on the tires. I don't care if they look new they need to be replaced at 7 years for your safety. Next read how to exercise your generator. Exercising the generator will save you money. 

The Georgie Boy Cruise Master is a nice coach and should serve you well.

Bill

I agree with Wildebill on the tires.  It being a 2003 with 8000 mile they need to be replaced. I changed mine over to michelins and had a great improvement in ride and handling.  At that miles I don't see any tuneup needed, but injector cleaner would be a good idea. have fun and safe travels.

Welcome to the RV life !!   A year ago I was in your place as a first time motorhome owner (graduated from several years of travel trailer ownership).  I purchased a 2007 Damon Astoria from a consignment dealership in Houston (PPL Motorhomes).  The Damon a year ago only had 6,000 miles of use as it was owned by an elderly couple.  Given very little use for eight years I had the following chassis work done by the consignment dealership:

• Replaced all tires --> the set on the Damon were original and ten years old!
  • Front end alignment
  • Replaced all fluids in the engine, generator, transmission, radiator, etc.
  • Replace all engine and generator filters (oil, fuel and air)
  • Chassis lubrication
  • Brake inspection
  • Wash and wax

You may want to consider having some or all of the above work done to help assure your "new to you" motorhome has minimal problems.  Enjoy the RV life !

Let me add one more item to the list.

When you drain the radiator to change the fluids replace all hoses and belts. They deteriorate faster from lack of use than when used.

Geter dun, there are some wonderfull experiences just waiting for you.

Herman 

Have a 1999 Rexhall Arebus 32 ft on ford chassis.  It is 1 inch lower on right side front and back.  Took to shop and it has a weak leaf spring but unable to find a replacement.  Is there any other solutions to raising to make it level if unable to find replacement leaf spring?

Thanks

Travelinman2B,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Any truck spring shop should be able to add a leaf , completely rebuild the springs, replace the springs with new or install a spacer.  This is what they do for a living.  Sorry, but can only recommend one where we are in Texas-- suspect others may know of one in your area.

I too live in Michigan, and have used Holland Motor Homes in Holland for several years. I owned a 2008 Itasca with a Workhorse Chassis and

they did all the service for 7 years from day 1 and did a very good job.  I now own a Newmar DP and I will have them service that as well,

They service all makes, ages and models of Motorhomes.

For all of you.  Welcome to the Forum!

Hope you will attend the FMCA Reunion rally in Indianapolis, Indiana...July 12.  You'll find it very informative and there will be Seminars to answer most of your questions on anything pertaining to Motorhomes and travel.  Lot's of after market Vendors and some great entertainment.

Carl