lylefikse

Awing Cover Working It's Way Over To The Side

Our power awning has a metal cover at the top that wraps around the fabric when closed.  It has slowly worked it's way over so it is hitting the arm of the awing when closed.  Anyone know how to get it back in place?  Tried to pry it without much success.  I think pounding on it may damage or bend the cover.  Maybe a 2 X 4 over it and tap lightly. 

Lyle,

Try opening the awning completely then with  mallet/hammer and a short piece of board try to see if the cover will move back in position. The board will distribute the force over the covers edge.

What it sounds like is that the screw or rivet that acts as a stop may be missing. 

Herman 

As Herman said, open the awning fully, and from the end that is too far away from the awning arm, try pulling the awning back into place. Most of the covers that I have seen are fixed to the awning itself, and the awning can usually be pulled into place especially if the "screw/rivet stop" has been omitted, or fallen out.

Lyle,

Not sure what brand awning you have but our Carefree Mirage was doing the same thing.  The cover wouldn't fully seat in the awning housing when in the stowed position.  Looking at it more closely, when fully extended we found that the awning fabric had worked it's way out of the roller drum at the edge.  This caused the awning to retract crookedly. 

Blake

I would use Kay and Blake's solution.  It has slowly worked it's way to one side, so slowly work it's way back by pulling and adjusting the fabric attachment.  You may have to roll it out and back in several times to get it back where it belongs.  Contact the manufacturer of the awning and ask them for a solution to prevent this from happening again.  If there is a screw or rivet missing, find out where it should be and replace it.  There could also be something else that is causing the problem, perhaps a spring that is broken or some other factor that is causing an uneven pull on the awning as it is unrolled and then rolled again for storage.

Look at some of the utube videos on changing the fabric. I think you may need to reduce or remove the tension on the fabric to get it positioned where you want it.

For the metal cover I think Herman had the best idea.

Bill