tbutler

Adding Links to Text in a Post

Today I was posting information and trying to include links for the users convenience.  In the past I have typed the title of the link and highlighted it, then copied the desired internet address.  Once done, I have selected the link icon and simply pasted the internet address where required.  The caption for the link comes from the previously highlighted text.  When completed I select insert into Post and the process was done.  Today, the link was not attaching to the highlighted text but instead was now inserting the link with the highlighted post text in a new location, at the top of the text in the post.  This required the additional step of dragging the link to the desired location in the text.  In the past, it would be where the highlighted text was, not requiring any dragging and dropping.  It is a small but aggravating change in how inserting links works.

here's a test.  At the bottom is a link to Tom's original post which did appear at the bottom of the message.  However, I pasted it at the end of my text.  Another try here:  following diatribe means nothing except that I'll attempt to insert a link to the 2016 Towing guides [link has been removed by moderator] after I complete this small paragraph. Another item is, I've tried to use the link function in the header above (looks like a chain with two links) and that option doesn't allow me to rename the link.

Okay....inserting the towing guide where I wanted seemed to work.  I just copied the browser address, clicked my curser where I wanted to insert the link then right clicked "copy"

Blake

Going to give this a try.  Never had any problems before.  Here is a link to the FMCA trip routing.

http://www.fmca.com/benefits/75-motorhome-trip-routing.html

All I did was copy the link, then place my cursor where I wanted the link to go, right clicked and choose Paste.

Seems to work for me.

HERE

I put my links in the text as an active piece of text.  It looks like this if I want to help you find RV Park Reviews.  I think it makes it easier on the reader if the link is in this form.  Just place your cursor on the colored text and it takes you to that web page.  Even very long web addresses will fit on the smallest word in the text.  When I do this, usually I just type the name of the link, highlight it, then click the chain symbol in the menu above.  The link menu that comes up has two blanks to be filled.  The text I have highlighted will be in the bottom blank and then I paste the http://www. stuff in the top blank.  When I click <insert into post> it used to simply put the link on the words that I had already typed and highlighted.  Job done.  Now when I do the same thing, the link with my preferred words are dropped at the top of the text box - where I have put the word HERE!  Then I have to erase the previous words I had typed and drag and drop the link from that location to the place where I want them in the text.  It is like the word processor has gone backwards.  Using the link feature has become more difficult, less convenient than it used to be. 

Now that I have explained all that it is working like it used to.  :rolleyes:

Thank you Todd for whatever you did!

I'm old school and do not use the GUI's. (Graphical User Interface), but instead use the HTML form of input. 

I will have to put spaces in this mini tutorial but when used there are no spaces except for what is being described.

Here is LMScooter's info  - my way.

[ url= http: // www. fmca . com/benefits/75-motorhome-trip-routing. html]FMCA Trip Routing [/ url]

When you run that all together it is this: FMCA Trip Routing

For me this is the easiest way to insert hyperlinks with a description.

I have an article from a newspaper about a motorhome that raked everything off of the top by hitting a low bridge. It is in my email account, but I do not know how to get from there to this website. It is a worthwhile lesson on what not to do.

Byron,

Copy the address (just highlight and select copy).

Then at the top of your post, there is a "link" as in one piece of chain symbol.  Click on it and it brings up a window.  Paste the web address in the box. Then click on "insert in post".

You have to be ever watchful for low bridges. There is one with little or no real warning on main street in Miles City, Montana 59301. It is  only 11'5". I almost got caught and did see someone else with the front of their RV under the edge.  I couldn't see if it hit but they were geting the traffic stopped and cleared so he could back up. Never got to stop and didn't see him come into the campground so I don't know if it was damaged.

Bill

There was an incident back in '07 or '08 were a Montana 5th wheel got on the Conn Turnpike. Not supposed to be there. Took the front end top cap of the 5er off.

RV hits bridge is the one Byron sent me!  Cops had to go find the coach, he never stopped...tore everything off the top, including awning! :blink::wacko:

11 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

This is one person that needs to go and have his hearing checked. 

Herman 

More likely his pants changed.:P:lol::D

Bill

He did not "AGE" gracefully.  He's 74 according to police report....he got some massive fines and I suspect he will have a problem finding Insurance.:P He needs to have his DL taken away...:wacko:

On 9/25/2016 at 10:33 AM, wayne77590 said:

I'm old school and do not use the GUI's. (Graphical User Interface), but instead use the HTML form of input. 

I will have to put spaces in this mini tutorial but when used there are no spaces except for what is being described.

Here is LMScooter's info  - my way.

[ url= http: // www. fmca . com/benefits/75-motorhome-trip-routing. html]FMCA Trip Routing [/ url]

When you run that all together it is this: FMCA Trip Routing

For me this is the easiest way to insert hyperlinks with a description.

The other way is to copy the URL. Just highlight the web page url that you are on and hit CTRL C or Command C on a MAC.

Then type [u rl= (no spaces) and paste the link after the = sign. Then  add an ] to then end of the link and type a title. After the title type [/ url] (no spaces) and you are done

I type at 70 WPM so for me it's the easy way.