uechiyondan

Chassis Alignment

Has anyone heard about having your coach alignment checked/adjusted on a new coach after you load it with all your stuff?  We are at the factory getting warranty work done and there is a problem with the ride height.  They are saying that when you buy a new coach that after you load it, you should have an alignment, and this may be part of the cause of our problem.  The charge is something like $450.  I know about weighing, we did that, and found the tag is underweight, and the drive is overweight. 

You may adjust the tag to carry more load and reduce the weight on the drive axle. I have not heard of alignment affecting ride height. Weight distribution is another story. Redistributing a bit of weight off the drive axle to the tag may help with the height.

By the way what all was included in the $450.00 alignment?

Herman 

Wow, :o here in North Texas an alignment is around $250.00 for both front and rear. 

On our coach there is an adjustment knob in the engine compartment. You might look there. 

Herman

Start by adjusting tag load-- will need scales to do it properly.  And some chassis make this adjustment easy, others not.  What coach do you have--best to put it in your signature so answers are more tailored to your coach.

Ride height can certainly affect not just ride and handling but alignment as well-- depends on suspension design.  Ideal is to have the same percent of GAWR on each axle.  It is a balancing act.

2 hours ago, uechiyondan said:

Has anyone heard about having your coach alignment checked/adjusted on a new coach after you load it with all your stuff?  We are at the factory getting warranty work done and there is a problem with the ride height.  They are saying that when you buy a new coach that after you load it, you should have an alignment, and this may be part of the cause of our problem.  The charge is something like $450.  I know about weighing, we did that, and found the tag is underweight, and the drive is overweight. 

Please put your coach and other info in your signature. 

What coach what factory? 

I had Freightliner FT Worth do an all wheel alignment after I bought my coach and even cutting the rear axle loose and re doing it the charge was $150 less than what they want. I would shop around.

I would do what Herman and Brett said before I did the alignment. Definately get your axle weights sorted out. When you are done it would be helpful to have all your individual wheel weights recorded so you will have that  information to set your tire pressure.

Just so you know any legitimate place has to set the ride height before they do a alignment. 

Bill