daverd4

Mystery Fuse Box

New here hoping someone can help . We bought a 1994 Safari model 3430 Diesel pusher on a Oshkosh chassis I replaced the step with a complete new Kwikee step after changing the door switch everything worked fine then I lost power to all thinks door related. I found 2 fuse boxes one under the hood which is for the Oshkosh chassis the other in the rear bedroom over the bed neither have a 30 amp fuse or say anything about the step. I will post pictures of those boxes. I have checked all basement compartments nothing there. Nothing around the drivers seat or dash. There must be a small fuse box hide somewhere my wife and I have spent hours looking for it with no luck HELP PLEASE   

047.jpg

045.jpg

038.jpg

We had a 1994 Monaco, not the same company at that time but located near the Monaco HQ and they may have been using similar plans.  Anyway, the second photo doesn't look like nearly all of the chassis fuses.  Our coach, a diesel, had dozens of the plug type fuses in the chassis fuse box.  They were located in a fuse panel under the drivers left foot.  Not literally, but accessed from an outside door that would be located on the left side of the coach about where your left foot would be.  Our step fuses have always been with the chassis fuses.  If not there, I'd start looking in the compartments under the coach or somewhere near where your batteries are located.

Dave,

Welcome to the Forum. 

Do you have a battery switch by your door? It is sometimes called a "Battery cutoff ". If so my may have inadvertently turned it off. If so all 12 volts  Will stop working. 

Herman 

I looked all around the drivers seat because I read that GM chassis put them there nothing on the outside either my fuel door is close to where your left foot would be. And Herman not the battery cutoff everything else still works. Every fuse box picture I have found has twice as many fuses as my house box has and neither of my boxes has a 30 amp fuse which is what the step needs

Dave, Welcome to the FMCA Forum. power steps are added by the chassis builder. There is a strong possibility that there is an inline fuse or 2. The ignition inline fuse most often is outside and close to the drivers side and is lashed to the primary wiring bundle. They can be difficult to find. 

When you turn on the ignition does the step move / do you have a switch at the entry that keeps the steps open when you are parked? both of those lines have a 20 amp fuse in most cases.

Need to see if I have any wiring files covering the Oshkosh chassis.

Rich.

Oshkosh fuse panel.pdf

Rich yes the Ignition override switch and the switch above the door all worked for about 12 cycles of open and closing on the new step then all 3 stopped working at the same time which makes me think it was a main 30 amp fuse somewhere. Don't see any inline fuses anywhere peeled the cover on the wire back nothing there.  

4 minutes ago, daverd4 said:

Rich yes the Ignition override switch and the switch above the door all worked for about 12 cycles of open and closing on the new step then all 3 stopped working at the same time which makes me think it was a main 30 amp fuse somewhere. Don't see any inline fuses anywhere peeled the cover on the wire back nothing there.  

Power step voltage is supplied by the chassis batteries, not the coach set and to be honest I think your setup has just the one set of batteries. Sent a copy of the fuse and relay panels. Did the new step kit supply an inline fuse holder ?.  Can you measure any power at the control board or from the board output to the motor?

The new kit should have a control board / module with a current limiter circuit. So its kind of a mystery. Could you post the make and model information of the new unit ?

Rich.

I have one Group 31 for the chassis and 2 deep cycle for the house. The problem is no power in the red wire in the 4 prong plug. Going out to check the yellow wire with ignition on. It is a Kwikee step model 28 

Well now I feel like an idiot found the 3rd fuse box under the hood right next to the chassis fuse box behind a black plastic cover. Thanks for the help and I hope this helps someone down the road

004.jpg

003.jpg

Dave, We have all been there !!! THE key is that you where willing to step outside what might be your comfort zone. Way to go - the new knowledge will serve you well down the road. I love looking into issues and always learn, so it is a win win  item.

Note I got time to look at the yellow wiring circuit and it does need 12 volts from a 6 amp fuse. Was the fuse bad in the newly discovered fuse box?

Rich.

dave,

Glad you found your third fuse panel. Hope that there isn't a forth if something else blows a fuse.:P Since the fuse did blow and just to be on the safe side check all around the step wiring to be sure there aren't any bare or pinched wires. Also be sure and check the ground wire to.

Happy stepping.

Herman

dave. 3 things to do.  Make sure that step is completely out, before stepping on it.  Keep it clean and lube it every month!  You'll be happy camper! :D Check all your ground wires, once a year...for everything!  Sorry, that's 4.:rolleyes:

Carl 

Dave, welcome to the world where RV wiring is marked but not so clear.  I recently got caught on that looking for a blown fuse when I was making a wiring harness for my toad.  From coach to toad.  Got the wiring harness made up and no left turn on the toad but have it on the coach.  Looked at fuses panels seen one that had park, left turn and right turn but no mention of trailer.  After checking all the wiring to the toad and on the coach I pulled the left turn fuse on a hunch.  Yep 15 amp fuse blown and only for the trailer lights. Glad it wasn't a wire halfway up the coach.  

Ray.  Welcome back to the RV learning curve...one time I was away from MH's for 4 years, crawl, walk, run, all over again! :(:o:lol:

Carl