I know this is a tad gross but I have heard stories of Holding Tanks (BLACK WADDA) leaking and I actually saw (smelled) this not to long ago (Wasn't MINE!).  I am curious, what are the environmental consequences (as in is the EPA going to come looking for you) if you have a holding tank that is leaking? Is their some law that says you will get fined or prosecuted? I know with a boat, you have insurance to cover spills and stuff but nothing about MH. 

I sure hope you have motorhome insurance not just car insurance.  There is a big differences between them.  Talk to your insurance provider.  

9 hours ago, huffypuff said:

I sure hope you have motorhome insurance not just car insurance.  There is a big differences between them.  Talk to your insurance provider.  

Me ... absolutely I do. The reason I asked is because if we cant dump the poo tank just anywhere i wouldn't think that it would be wise to just let it leak and this guy didn't seem to care. 

I have RV insurance but I am not sure if it would cover me getting sued cause black tank leaked. If it leaked off my boat my insurance allows 860K to cover any spill recovery. 

1.  Do you have a leak?  

2.  Happy to see that you found a coach that suits you! :)

3.  If someone else has a leak, I would let them know, they may or may not know that they have one.  If they know, don't get involved.  If they don't, then help them if you can!

Carl

We have been to one CG in Virginia off of RT13 just before the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. Kids were running around at night pulling the valves on trailers that had their hoses off with the cap on so when the poor owner would uncap it to connect the hose he got a face full. All of our valves on this coach and the last are behind closed and locked doors so no joke on my part, the CG just asked that they hose it down. No EPA called or anything like that. We did see the local Police patrolling the CG after.

If they are not concerned after letting the owner of the camper know, a trip to the park manager is next in line, no one else wants to be next to a leaker.

Watch out for this guy;

The sewer connection was a screw in type, why the donut...I have no idea. This was between ObedB and us, of course I got the business side :o. He never dumped all weekend and believe me I was watching like a hawk, if I would have seen him I would have showed it to him. I always check my surroundings, you never know what you will see.

hose.JPG

11 hours ago, HayesFamily said:

I know this is a tad gross but I have heard stories of Holding Tanks (BLACK WADDA) leaking and I actually saw (smelled) this not to long ago (Wasn't MINE!).  I am curious, what are the environmental consequences (as in is the EPA going to come looking for you) if you have a holding tank that is leaking? Is their some law that says you will get fined or prosecuted? I know with a boat, you have insurance to cover spills and stuff but nothing about MH. 

I have never heard of the poo police chasing anyone down. Just so you know if you do develop a leak it is fairly easy to replace the dump valve. This is (obviously) after you dump at an approved location and flush the tank.

Bill

If you ever plan on changing your dump valve take the following steps. 

First dump and flush the several time. When doing this raise the opposite side of your coach so the valve side is as low as you can get it. 

Second before removing the valve do just the opposite. Raise the valve side as high as you can get at the same time lower the other side as low as you can. 

Be sure to wear rubber gloves and a cloth pin. Both are obvious. :wacko:

Herman 

I would just like to amend Herman's last line, "Be sure DW wears rubber gloves and a clothes pin."

Herman, cleaning toilets should not be your job. But if it is, can you clean mine.

We were assigned a campsite several years ago.  When we arrived at the site, the area around the sewer connection had a fair amount of toilet paper, dried, on the gravel.  Not being a fool, I called the office right away to let them know.  I didn't want them to show up three days later and blame me!  They sent out a crew and they shoveled away everything in the area.  Then they came back and spread some fresh gravel over the ground.

How a spill is treated I think will depend on the local laws more than the EPA.  Certainly, dumping a whole tank somewhere could set off an alarm.  Several years ago a professional band tour bus dumped a tank as they crossed over the Chicago River in Chicago. There was a tour boat under the bridge at the time.  They were nailed in a huge lawsuit.  If there is a minor leak, it can probably be handled by the park as above.  We've been in campgrounds that required an airtight seal on the connection to the sewer (usually citing local laws or regulations) and other campgrounds where if you got it down the pipe they didn't worry about what gases might escape. 

The person in the example above may have misinterpreted the requirement for an air-tight seal and thus used the rubber ring or perhaps as I've noticed many times I can't screw my threaded connection into the mangled threads of the ground pipe.  That is why you find a collection of large rocks near the sewer connection!  ^_^

No doubt about it, this is the unpleasant side of our travel mode.  The first time I dumped I wasn't sure how long I was going to be doing this.  We had a used motor home and inherited the old used fixtures and hose.  I got rid of them pretty quickly.  For some things you just have to go first class, no "messing around" with leaky equipment and bad connections!

By the way, I would be very surprised if the stuff that they spread on the fields is raw sewage.  In my experience that is how they dispose of the treated solids from modern sewage treatment systems.  After several months a large tank can accumulate a good load (30% or 40%) of material that can't be digested further by the bacteria in an aeration process.  They drain the liquid, pump or scoop out the remaining solids, dry them and then spread it with a manure spreader on pasture land, never on crop land for human consumption - at least in the cases I'm familiar with.  It makes a good soil conditioner, not much nutrition for plants left after treatment.  Yes, I've been to many a sewage treatment plant with my students, learning all the facts of life!  In some communities where the desired agricultural land isn't available they will try to arrange another user, nurseries, peat or humus operations or just landfill the remaining solids.

We were assigned a campsite several years ago.  When we arrived at the site, the area around the sewer connection had a fair amount of toilet paper, dried, on the gravel.  Not being a fool, I called the office right away to let them know.  I didn't want them to show up three days later and blame me!  They sent out a crew and they shoveled away everything in the area.  Then they came back and spread some fresh gravel over the ground.

How a spill is treated I think will depend on the local laws more than the EPA.  Certainly, dumping a whole tank somewhere could set off an alarm.  Several years ago a professional band tour bus dumped a tank as they crossed over the Chicago River in Chicago. There was a tour boat under the bridge at the time.  They were nailed in a huge lawsuit.  If there is a minor leak, it can probably be handled by the park as above.  We've been in campgrounds that required an airtight seal on the connection to the sewer (usually citing local laws or regulations) and other campgrounds where if you got it down the pipe they didn't worry about what gases might escape. 

The person in the example above may have misinterpreted the requirement for an air-tight seal and thus used the rubber ring or perhaps as I've noticed many times I can't screw my threaded connection into the mangled threads of the ground pipe.  That is why you find a collection of large rocks near the sewer connection!  ^_^

No doubt about it, this is the unpleasant side of our travel mode.  The first time I dumped I wasn't sure how long I was going to be doing this.  We had a used motor home and inherited the old used fixtures and hose.  I got rid of them pretty quickly.  For some things you just have to go first class, no "messing around" with leaky equipment and bad connections!

By the way, I would be very surprised if the stuff that they spread on the fields is raw sewage.  In my experience that is how they dispose of the treated solids from modern sewage treatment systems.  After several months a large tank can accumulate a good load (30% or 40%) of material that can't be digested further by the bacteria in an aeration process.  They drain the liquid, pump or scoop out the remaining solids, dry them and then spread it with a manure spreader on pasture land, never on crop land for human consumption - at least in the cases I'm familiar with.  It makes a good soil conditioner, not much nutrition for plants left after treatment.  Yes, I've been to many a sewage treatment plant with my students, learning all the facts of life!  In some communities where the desired agricultural land isn't available they will try to arrange another user, nurseries, peat or humus operations or just landfill the remaining solids.

15 hours ago, manholt said:

1.  Do you have a leak?  

2.  Happy to see that you found a coach that suits you! :)

3.  If someone else has a leak, I would let them know, they may or may not know that they have one.  If they know, don't get involved.  If they don't, then help them if you can!

Carl

1. No I dont ... I saw it (Smelled it) at a rest stop and got to wondering

2. FINALLY ... We are so happy to get into a larger coach. Older but better suited for us. 

3. I tried to tell him he just shrugged it off. 

One thing I did was purchase ALL NEW sewer stuff. I got a Camco Rhino hose, not the extreme but the one right under it. I got  a clear 90º elbow to see the poo and wee wee and will pick up an extension of about 10ft for the Parks around MD where the dump site is about 30 ft away to cover 4 sites. I did that because I didnt want to handle someone elses poo (And I am an Undertaker so someone elses Escherichia Coli isnt what i want to handle) AND i wanted to make sure I had seals and equipment that didnt have holes or dry rot. 

Now, I am one who used Formaldehyde (CH2O from this point on) for a living and I see no adverse affects on out septic systems in the funeral homes. Therefore I dont know why CH2O chemicals are deemed "BAD". I think poor judgement is the biggest culprit in septic system failures. CH2O itself is not doing anything but changing the PH of bacteria and retarding the growth of Anaerobic Bacteria. Septic failure is mostly due to stupid people (and ignorant) doing stupid things such as disposing of Diapers, sanitary napkins, tampons, and the C word ... CON**MS!!!

But to be politically correct I purchase CH2O free toilet gook and I am sure it wont work as well as some good old Cavity Max 2000 (generic Term for Super Strong Embalming Fluid) but its cheaper and I wont get odd looks from the DW telling me how "strong" the smell is.   Actually the more I think about it I prefer the smell of the Ju ju juice in the funeral home over doo doo any-day. 

Joe, don't know about the east coast, but a lot off campgrounds in Texas, NM, LA and AZ., require a donut, to make an air tight seal.  I like, like Tom have found that my screw in, will not seat properly or get stuck (guessing cross threaded), so, I use the donut ! :wub:

Keon.  Prior to 1990, I also used CH2O in my black tank.  RV Manufacturers used it and then covered everything in plastic...when the RV sold, the plastic was removed.  Sometimes in a hot/humid environment, it would bring me to my knees, tear me up and make me cough.  The only place you'll get that now, is in a new FEMA trailer!  We can't, the gov't can!:angry:

Herman....Right on! :ph34r::P

Carl

When I cant screw the connection to the pipe at the CG I place it in and hang these on it to keep it down (usually its snug in the hole). I don't own a donut and never have, also never had a problem. The photo above....CG has nice connections that are threaded and work well.

untitled.png

1 hour ago, jleamont said:

When I cant screw the connection to the pipe at the CG I place it in and hang these on it to keep it down (usually its snug in the hole). I don't own a donut and never have, also never had a problem. The photo above....CG has nice connections that are threaded and work well.

untitled.png

In Las Vegas the health dept requires a donut.  At Thousand Trails on Boulder highway the opening is a tapered cement hole.

On 9/27/2016 at 4:24 AM, manholt said:

Keon.  Prior to 1990, I also used CH2O in my black tank.  RV Manufacturers used it and then covered everything in plastic...when the RV sold, the plastic was removed.  Sometimes in a hot/humid environment, it would bring me to my knees, tear me up and make me cough.  The only place you'll get that now, is in a new FEMA trailer!  We can't, the gov't can!:angry:

Welcome to the gud ole USA!!!!! Where the people can't but the white house can! The reality is unless there are air levels more than 15PPM we aren't required to wear masks in the undertaker shop. So that little cube of stuff we drop in pre packaged has less than .002% of CH2O so we would never get close to 15PPM ... not to mention one HUGE thing about CH2O, we produce something every-time we hit the head we neutralizes it.  When we pee we release ammonia which is a natural byproduct of metabolizing protein. So that little itty bitty bit of CH2O is gone as soon as the first person takes a whiz. 

So how do I know this for fact, some idiot spilled about 36 oz on the floor and we swore tear gas was in the room. Our instructor told the women to leave and the guys to whip it out and neutralize (Read between the Lines) and 3 min later we were good. 

The real purpose of CH2O in the holding tank is simply to keep E. Coli from being super stinky --- that's all. Its just enough to retard the anaerobic bacteria from multiplying and being too stinky! The government and media wants to scare everyone into believing they are the supreme whatever and everyone should listen to them. What if they actually told the truth that CH2O is actually in  cleaners, antiseptics, dish-washing liquids, fabric softeners, carpet cleaners, glues, adhesives and lacquers and even ARMPIT GREASE!!!!!!!

Keon.  :lol: I love, non PC !  :D  If you have not eaten or drank it, then it does not belong in the black tank or septic system! :wacko:

Carl