Sign in to follow this  
toneyamurphy

Replacing Propane Tank Sending Unit

I have a 2016 HR with a broken propane tank quantity sending unit. All four of the 'fingers' on the factory installed electrical sending unit are broke off. This makes the sending unit inoperable.

I was able to purchase a replacement sending unit that has the two connecting wires on the unit.That is the problem. How do I tell which connecting wire is the hot wire and which is the neutral wire. Or does it make any difference?  I know I can try to match my new sending unit's wires to the old sending unit wires by using the wire location. I then will have to match the new wires to the feed wires using the same method.  Does this sound reasonable.  Neither the old sending unit or the new sending unit  or the feed wires are marked telling which wire is pos. or neutral. 

Any help would be welcomed.

Toney==F409212

Toney,

Best advice, tomorrow, consult the manufacturer of the sending unit.  They can tell you if there is polarity to their sending unit or if it is just a resistance circuit and polarity does not matter.  MUCH better than our speculation.

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 9:51 PM, wolfe10 said:

Toney,

Best advice, tomorrow, consult the manufacturer of the sending unit.  They can tell you if there is polarity to their sending unit or if it is just a resistance circuit and polarity does not matter.  MUCH better than our speculation.

I think I'll do that first thing in the morning. I already have their phone number. Thanks for responding. Toney

Talked to Manchester Tank and Equip.and was told it didn't make any difference how the two wires were connected. I connected the wires from the new sending unit to the existing coach wires after I isolated the coach elec. All is well. Appreciate the help. Toney, F409212 

Edited by toneyamurphy
Problem solved, closeout post.

Talked to Manchester Tank and Equip.and was told it didn't make any difference how the two wires were connected. I connected the wires from the new sending unit to the existing coach wires after I isolated the coach elec. All is well. Appreciate the help. Toney, F409212