jleamont

Coolant Pipes/Metal Plumbing

Herman, that was my thoughts exactly!! But there are companies that make a pre made manifold and turbo wrap kit that is supposed to help :wacko:. I sat and thought about it and all I can think of is it will allow them to cool at a controlled rate. I have no idea and no experience with it. The only two benefits I can see in a DP;

1, if you have a oil leak you would be less likely to go up in flames.

2, engine bay temps would be lower.

I have no idea what the cons would be. I am going to wrap my down pipe out of the turbo, its too close to the transmission for my comfort.

Joe, I have seen where companies have put heat shields to disperse the heat. But not sure about wraps. Chevrolet comes to mind when the exhaust pipe was too close to the starter. This reduced the life of the starter considerably. 

Herman 

Joe, the kit looks like its for a newer twin turbo Dodge set up and with the engine turned 180deg. Air intake and cooling line routing might make for an interesting install on a Coach. The other item that might concern me is - its all ready a tight fit for the cool air ducting I installed to extend my alternator life. Alternator designed max temperature is like 275deg F and the exhaust manifold runs less then 8 inches underneath it at 1000deg. Not the best setup. Add in the hot side of the CAC input and turbo proximity and you have a vary hot environment.

Not sure the thermodynamics of the system and the restricted air flow would make for a long exhaust and turbo life.

Rich.

Note! kind of looks like your going to be making like a duck for the next 2 days. Wet here, but we really need the water !!!

1 minute ago, kaypsmith said:

Send me some of that wet please, grass is completely dead. Joe, maybe a side scoop design similar to a hood scoop.:P

But, you do NOT want to combine the two:  Rain and large scoop facing forward!  Drowning your air filter is not a good way to gain performance!

3 hours ago, jleamont said:

I was considering 12-14 so it could be welded without a bunch of warpage. I found the elbows and straight pipe for sale on the web. I just need dimensions and I will be all set.

Ever since I saw the engine bay in a Newell I have wanted to make it shine. The Newell I saw was lined in mirrored stainless steel and everything was shiny B). 18 gauge is just a tad thicker than sheet metal.

Bill, ever hear of anyone wrapping their exhaust manifolds on a turbo diesel to stop them from cracking? What's your thoughts?

I think you should pull the hose off and use your tubing mike measure the wall thickness of the water pipes you are looking to replace. 12 ga would be excessively  heavy and expensive for that application. It just needs to hold more pressure than the rubber line.

You buy the kit and send it and I will wrap the exhaust and manifold. I need the "common rail" kit:P

Bill

Don't need any dead grass in there eitherB). That would really impede performance, and with the high heat of that "WRAPPED" manifold, it would probably catch fire. Thanks Brett, I needed that.

I don't know what just happened!

Joe, I have just one question:  If a wrap is such a good idea, why does it not come that way in a DP?  Certainly anything that would keep my bedroom floor cooler and engine compartment cooler, would be a good thing!  Yeas?

Carl

On Gasser and entry level, even mid level DP's, point made.  But there are a lot of high end DP's out there, that don't care about cost...they will get 2x or more back!  That's why I was concerned...:o.

Carl, et al;

That question (why did they try to save a few nickels on a $200k+ coach) comes up all the time when I present the Suspensions/Coach Ride & Handling seminars at the FMCA Conventions.

The answer is they DO know their business.

If two competing manufacturers in the same market.  One spends $2000 more on suspension and other things "less visible" and the other spends the $2000 on upgrading interior fabrics.  Who sells more coaches.  It is a good business decision.  Same goes for rear vs side radiator, barely adequate tire size.......

Joe.  That's really bad...then again I suspect it's the original hose.  15/16 years, I'd say your on borrowed time! :oB)

Carl

Yea, when I saw it last year I was shocked. The lower one looks good, paint peeling but otherwise ok. It has a part number on it. I might call the manufacturer Monday and see if I can get one. If not I will make it in Stainless.

IMG_3046.JPG

I think I have the jist of some of this and the heat wrap. On the Z, I wrapped the entire exhaust system that was practical all the way to the muffler and then all the air plenums from the filter to inner cooler and out the other side to the intake port. Exhaust manifold not but would like to. Two things happen, bedroom is 20 degrees cooler after shut down. Obvoiusly cooler engine bay. The other gain I believe is cooler air to engine equals additional HP. NASCAR developed this technology trying to reduce heat to the driver and increase HP  Thanks  it works

Bill Edwards

Bill I have through about wrapping the exhaust after the turbo to cut the heat down. Good to know it actually works to lower the temperature in the bedroom.