brocki

Dish & New Locations

As a fairly new dish customer, I admit to not having all the little tricks figured out.  I am finding out that every time we move to another area and want to tap into the local channels, after calling Dish to reset the zip code, I have to unplug my receiver then re-plug it in to reset it.  As you can imagine digging back in the overhead cabinet is a pain in the a@#.  How are all you other traveling users doing it.  I can't believe you are crawling around  pulling plugs.  My equipment is the SK-1000 traveler antennae and VIP211z receiver.

As question #2, can't I also change my zip code on line and save calling Dish?

What is it I don't know?

Pull plug until it breaks connection, still holding plug, and re-insert.  Works 90% of time.  Call them, unless you don't need it for a week or never..

Borcki,

I also have Dish. We sometime have to do the unplug thing, but not every time. Get yourself a short extension cord that can be out where you can unplug and plug in the receiver without having to move it each time. 

When we have been out and have changed to the local channels where we were, I will call Dish as we travel on the way home. I will ask them to restore my home channels to our home address. By the time we get back to the house and settle down, all is reset and back to normal.

Herman 

That's about the easiest way and it don't matter if it's DISH or DIRECTV, they both operate the same way!  I use my bat wing for local channels, no reset, no un plug!  That is so simple!

Carl

While I can use my off air antenna for locals, I lose all the benefits of the Hopper when I don't get locals thru Dish.  I have all my items plugged into a power strip; when time to reboot just flip the switch.  It also permits me to cut power to everything when in storage to avoid undue battery drain.