lylefikse

Rusted Out Floor Under Fresh Water Tank

Has anyone ever repaired the floor under a fresh water tank.  Our water tank is sagging where the floor under it is rusted out.  Maybe treated wood under the tank?  I have not inspected this to carefully yet to come up with a repair method.  Wondered if any of you have done a similar repair.  I can see the tank is sagging and don't want to let this go on to long.

Lyle, what is your tank made of?  Marine grade plywood is an option that I would look into asap.  I have neVer had that problem...how much space do you have, if any, between tank and floor?  Is there any angle iron that holds your floor in place?

And, has the source of the leak been found and fixed?

Damon should be able to give you suggestions on how it is built and how to best repair it.

I had a leak in my fresh water tank and had the floor rot out.  Finding the replacement fresh water tank (split wide open at the top) was difficult but once it was located I had to remove everything in the wet bay, remove the wooden floor (2 part) install new 3/4" marine plywood and reapply laminate in the exposed areas.  My setup was fresh tank on the floor, a layer of wood on top and the black and grey tanks side by side on top of the fresh tank.  Once you took care of getting wires disconnected and marked, tanks emptied, plumbing disconnected, the tanks came out pretty easily.  The new floor went in and the re-assembly process began.  It took a couple of days and some awkward positions but it was pretty clear what needed to be done as I removed a couple of walls to explore.

Not sure if I have a leak.  I have run the fresh water tank over several times when filling. OOPS.  No time to repair right now.  will look at it in a a week or two.

If running the tank over caused problem, an easy fix is to add a hose extension and route it downward and bore a hole in the floor pan same size as the hose for overflows, and push the hose to the outside. To fix the floor correctly, there are fiberglass repair kits for floor pans, pretty easy to use, and I would add a treated plywood support under the tank if enough room. Be sure to put a screen over the end of the hose, should you use this method, to keep critters out of the FWT.

I had a mobile RV repair weld brace bars (1 inch square tubing) under the tanks (black, grey, and fresh water).  6 bars welded to the frame.  Tanks are now securely in place.  Not the 100% repair of replacing the flooring and all, but it should last for years and we are traveling and didn't have time to tear everything apart.

Lyle,  what if you got to drop a tank?  It happens, not often, but I had to have my black tank repaired earlier this year and that was done after the tank came out...:o

Carl

Carl,

I am very satisfied with the repair.  I think it is more secure than original design.  Most of the floor was still in good shape.  Only a small rusted out area on the side that is supported very well now.