luckydog1949

Electronic Compass & Outside Thermometer

I couldn't find anything on the forum by searching, so I'll ask here.

The Electronic Compass & Outside Thermometer display in the dash of our 2005 Itasca Horizon on an XC Freightliner chassis has gone out.  We noticed that, during our trip to Alaska this summer, the direction would vary a lot from our GPS display (SW while the GPS showed N).  (No, the Alaska Highway is NOT 100% paved, no matter what anyone tells you.  It may have been at one time; but, they tear up large distances, leaving washboard surfaces, every year to "repave" )  I thought a sensor had come loose and had started wobbling, since it wasn't always the same directional difference.  Now, it's just gone blank.

Before I start disassembling anything, does anyone know where the sensor(s) are, and how to get to them?

B)Maybe was too close to true magnetic north and was confused, LOL.:DWas there in 2007, my Casio altimeter watch went crazy on that trip. Really, hope you find a good replacement.

Tom, Do you have the owners manual for the unit? A number of them have an auto calibration mode. Do you own a Smart Phone with compass screen to compare location and direction? 

This link might help get you started.

https://www.safety-devices.com/how-to-calibrate-your-digital-compass-a-20.html

The other option is there are IC's That one can buy and build one from scratch.

Just noticed that you mentioned the screen is now blank. Some models are not real shock resistant, so you could have a voltage supply wire / connection broken at the screen or on the small circuit board. Might need a small or large magnifier and tiny tools. 

Rich.