We have researched vehicles with the most cargo space that can be towed 4 wheels down and have come up with the Honda Odyssey 2004.

What we are learning is that they have had transmission problems.  My question is will towing 4 wheels down add to the transmissions wear and tear?

This is what Remco has to say about it. You will need to make up your mind if the risk is worth it. Bill

http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/Store.php

Notes

• Towable as is with speed and/or distance restrictions. Please see Owner's Manual for confirmation and procedures.
  • It is not recommended to tow this vehicle over 65MPH
  • When towing for an extended period of time, start the vehicle as often as possible and allow it to run for five minutes to prevent battery drain.
  • Officially from both Honda and REMCO the vehicle is not towable. However, we at Remco have a large number of customers who are flat-towing that vehicle behind their Motor Home and they are not having any issues. Follow the "Emergency Towing" procedures in the owner's manual to a "T" except ignore the restrictions and follow those procedures each and every time you tow. NOTE: If you choose tow your Honda, and have any damage to the Transmission as a result, you will have to pay for that expense out of pocket. It is nothing that Honda or Remco will warranty. Also, it should be noted that Remco sells no aftermarket product (Lube Pump or otherwise) to make this car towable.
  •  

We bought our '05 Ody EX-L specifically to tow four down. Got it in writing on Honda letterhead that it was approved for towing behind a motorhome. Had RoadMaster set it up for towing. After a short while I started seeing posts on the internet that it was not towable. After some "discussion" involving Honda and OR and CA AG's office Honda wrote us a check for over $2,200, which I used to buy a KK-460 dolly and used it for a couple years.

After talking with owners of different years of Ody's I went back to towing it four down. I have at least 40,000 miles on it towing and 108,000 on the odometer with not one bit of trouble (well, did forget to release the parking brake once!). Still driving it and has only had the trans fluid changed a couple times.

Have friends and '10 Ody and they've towed it more miles than I have with the '05. They also have had no problems associated with four down towing.

On 10/1/2016 at 9:45 AM, wolfe10 said:

Honda does not show the 2004 Odssey as being towable 4 wheels down.

Brett:

They used to, or at least did, when we bought the '05 in Dec of '04. That's why I got it in writing that the '05 was towable four down since the '04's were sold out by then.

I did get the drop hitch in Phoenix after we met at the one campground. I was towing the Ody then on the way to the GS rally .

5 minutes ago, deenad said:

Brett:

I did get the drop hitch in Phoenix after we met at the one campground.

Ya, another of the "small world stories".  We are from Texas, you from Washington state.  Just ran into each other in the parking lot in the CG in Tonopah, AZ.

Should we try for a second time???

On 10/9/2016 at 2:39 PM, wolfe10 said:

Ya, another of the "small world stories".  We are from Texas, you from Washington state.  Just ran into each other in the parking lot in the CG in Tonopah, AZ.

Should we try for a second time???

Wish I could! Always enjoy talking to you. Cindy died in August and I still have the almost 17 yr old grandson with me so can't travel much yet due to school.