manholt

Tag Axle and Ride Comfort on Different Motorhome Lengths

The only coach I have had with a Tag is my current 45 footer.  I was wondering if a 38', 40', 42' or 43' Tag, had the same comfort in the ride, as I have?  

Carl

Carl,

As we discussed, I went from a 32 foot no tag coach to a 40 footer with a tag. On that, I can say that betwwen the two there was a world of difference. With the tag I saw much less sway and disturbane from passing trucks and the ride was much smoother. I assume that just moving up in length on coaches with tag axles would not show that much change. I did see a difference in handling when moving up 8 feet in length. Though I think it was the length and not the tag that made the difference.

Herman

PS: Carl made someone's puppy realy happy last night.

The pup is ecstatic !B) per owner, will be so for weeks to come!  :lol:

That was a nice HH and dinner last night...thank you! :) Next time, I'll bring another steak (from meat market) and the Pup will be sad! :(

Carl

Carl, on the subject of tag's, while I was in the process of growing up, I had two uncles and two cousins who were bus drivers, therefore I was encouraged to take many bus trips and that is when I fell in love with bus's. One of them had a daily route from Montgomery Al., to Atlanta Ga., with Greyhound. I don't recall the exact year, but GMC introduced the scenicruiser and my cousin was the first to drive one of these new beast's on that B'ham to Atl.. The ride and driveability was so bad, swaying and just trying to keep in the road, it was a forty footer, no tags and increased height, he refused to drive back to Montgomery in it, GMC recalled all eight that Greyhound had purchased and retrofitted with tag axels, proper name that GMC gave them was trail axels. These were the first coaches with tag's and have proven to have been a very good improvement for the industry. Silver Eagle followed suit with their version, which had the the single tire in front of the drive axel, and they called their's tag axel's. The trail design still sells, and the tag has disappeared. Holiday Rambler produced many shorter versions using 19.5 tires and was a hit in it's day.

Thanks!  Have a Shriner friend in Galveston who purchased used, a HR with the tag, I think it's 34'.  It's still sitting in the garage since 2008, ran great for 4 years, but we had Hurricane IKE in 2008 and it sat under 7' of water for 10 days...now it's a big dog house! :lol:

Reason for the OP is that I want to down size, but I want a Tag!  45' & 4 slides is a bit much for one person!

Carl:D 

Carl,

This no way addresses your question and I am no expert on coaches with tags but I'd like to chime in.........

As you know, I'm mildly interested in upgrading from our current coach to a 45 footer with a tag.  My thinking is that a tag would help tremendously when encountering cross winds when out west.  Note: Deb is not as keen on the idea of trading as I am!

Given that, last fall we test drove a new Dynasty.  It was a 45 footer with tag.  We were in Tucson and the test drive was realistic as there were some pretty good cross winds.  Believe it or not, Deb and I thought our Windsor rode much nicer than the new Dynasty!  Needless to say we still have our Windsor and are burning up the highways.  So, a bit of research and I think I've figured out the difference in ride.  Our Windsor has a true Roadmaster chassis with outboard air bags.  Although the Dynasty advertised a Roadmaster chassis it was a Freightliner.  Freightliner is a good chassis but it didn't have the outboard airbags which I think helps a lot with stability.

Now, I'm really hesitant to drive a Foretravel or the likes :blink:$:angry:$ !!!!!

You have a lot more experience on the road than I do and am interested in what you chose!

Blake

Talked with the owner of a tag equipped Newmar Dutch Star 40' last fall in Limon CO. He was very happy with it. Brand new and he and his wife were in their late 70's. Loads of RVing experience also. 

Blake,

Our 32 footer was a Windsor and our 40 footer is a Dynasty with a tag and 10 airbags. Both were and are on true Roadmaster chassis.  Shortly after Navastar purchased Monaco they sold off Roadmaster. Then about the same time Freightliner got Roadmaster and redesigned the chassis.  I think that is where the drastic changes came in. 

For a true feel for the difference between the two see if you can find a pre 2008 Dynasty with a tag. You will be pleasantly surprised. 

Herman 

Blake, the big difference I have felt since going with a 45' and Tag is the ride, no side buffeting from trucks and ease of driving and I'm on a Spartan chassis!  The big drawback is the length,  a 45' is easy to torque if your not careful about driveways and turning into an uphill that is sloped wrong..  Also, low water crossings, easy to get stuck, high center!

Carl

Carl, drive one of the Foretravels at MOT without a tag. Or take a road trip up and drive mine. I have nothing to compare it to but my road trips are not exhausting, no sway and I push trucks into their shoulder when they pass me. I believe coach height, weight, length and suspension design all play a part in this. Our old coach before mods it was uncommon for the steering wheel to be at 5:00 with a slight cross wind. After it wasn't so bad but you knew when it was windy and a truck or large SUV was approaching along side of you.

The optimum ride would be a 45' coach with a tag.  Ride comfort would be reduced on a shorter coach with a tag, and more so with a shorter coach and no tag.  That said, I can't see where the very small reduction in ride comfort would even be noticed by reducing the coach length be a couple of feet...as long as you have the tag.

FIVE.  You ever driven a Roadmaster 10 bag chassis?  I drove a 2000 CC 40' Tag Prevost in 1999, I could not justify the cost and had no trade, to off set the cost, so I walked away, the ride driving it, was like no other coach I have driven before or after! :)  So, I think the chassis has more to do with the ride, than the length...Drove a friends GMC 26' in 1976 and it also, was like a Cadillac! :wub:

Currently I'm at Texas Custom Coach to get my back end fixed...turned out to be a whole lot more damage than expected, structural and fiberglass, and 1 Aluminum bay door to replace...will get a revised estimate and time frame later today...my guess would be close to $10K, instead off $2,425 original estimate based on photos!...after it's fixed a copy will be mailed to FMCA, this would and should never have happened to begin with!  I was repeatedly told by the Parking attendants not to un hook my toad, that put this directly into FMCA's Lap!  :angry:  I was not the only coach that had a ops, because of the attendants in Shawnee, OK. 6 State Rally! 

Carl

Guys,

Appreciate the input on tag axle and rides.  We usually don't get "pushed" when big rigs pass us or on the rare occasion we are passing them.  But, buffeting crosswinds are no fun for me!  Our timelines are such nowadays that I can find a safe spot and campout when the crosswinds get really bad but that isn't always the case.

I've always heard that tag axle coaches handle the crosswinds better and will heed advice from Herman with respect to driving a true Roadmaster tag axle coach.  Also Carl's input on high centering and torqueing the chassis.

Don't get me wrong....our Windsor rides like a dream and we've done a few things to improve the ride and road manners such as Michelins and Bilstein shocks.

Carl, I hear you loud and clear on someone saying "you will have no problem getting in".  Deb had to follow me home in the pickup from Little Rock (August) because the KOA host guided me through a turn that was just too tight for coach and truck.  Bent the durn hitch so badly that it was not serviceable. My bad though....I should have walked the route and unhooked.  We bought the Grand Cherokee the week we got home.  A 3500 Dodge Mega Cab diesel is just too much toad in most cases!

Blake

Good evening. I traded my 36' Country Coach single axle for a 45' CC tag axle. I always heard their was a big difference. Now I know first hand the difference is HUGE. Like people said previously, the rear end wiggle is almost gone. You don't have to fight the wind nearly as much either. The buck and pitch is a little improved also. I suppose this would also be true for a shorter coach. The third axle would make all the difference. Plus.......the third axle looks cool!! 

schnautz.  Welcome to the Forum! 

:lol: !  Looks, is probably 90% of why folks buy one and then discover what they have been missing in ride quality!  The down side of a big coach is cost of maintenance, also you need to be aware of the does and don'ts when driving...you can't run it like you did your 36' and your in the truck stop when your fueling.  Wider turns, especially in camp grounds! Be mindful of where your rear end and toad is at, at all times.  Your stopping distance has increased expodentialy, due to weight and inertia! :o

Enjoy your new ride..:)

Carl

I have had 3 coaches with tags. First 2 were 40 foot, current is 43. The 43 handles everything better. The 45 Prevosts I have test driven are superior to my 43

Thanks Carl!  i am an old truckdriver so the extra length is not a problem for me like it may be for some. By my own comparison I feel the extra set of brakes almost make up for the extra weight. Also on my Intrigue i can lift the back axle while maneuvering tight spots. Which makes it a short coach again. And yes, with a lot of rear end swing that a guy needs to be careful with. For me , no matter how you cut it, the third axle is an improvement. Unless a shorter coach is just what you need. 

16 hours ago, manholt said:

Good to hear from you again, Blake.  Hope you still have just one hand free, on occasion! :D

Carl

Thanks Carl.......as of late, we've been really busy out here on the left coast doing some remodel work on Deb's dad's house.  And, it was well into the 100's F when we started.  Good thing is her dad kept the beer flowing :lol: and we're almost finished!  All new tile on the patio, poured concrete to support posts, and slate stone on the pillar supports.

So....this picture is WAY off topic but figured Erniee would appreciate it.....we have an appointment with him in November.

tile work.jpg

2 hours ago, schnautz said:

Thanks Carl!  i am an old truckdriver so the extra length is not a problem for me like it may be for some. By my own comparison I feel the extra set of brakes almost make up for the extra weight. Also on my Intrigue i can lift the back axle while maneuvering tight spots. Which makes it a short coach again. And yes, with a lot of rear end swing that a guy needs to be careful with. For me , no matter how you cut it, the third axle is an improvement. Unless a shorter coach is just what you need. 

I also have a tag that lifts, and it make a big difference in turning radius. Use it all the time in campgrounds.

I can dump my tag air, but no lift.:(

Schnautz.  ObedB is another "old" retired Trucker on this forum! :)

Blake. Is that the front or back of a dog?  I'm guessing standard poodle, looking for a post to mark..:D 

Carl

On 10/2/2016 at 7:17 AM, manholt said:

Reason for the OP is that I want to down size, but I want a Tag!  45' & 4 slides is a bit much for one person!

Carl:D 

I guess I'm going to find out! My wife of almost 30 years died 6½ weeks ago and I'm getting the MH ready for a few trips this fall. Still have the DW's grandson with me and he's in HS so have to work around his schedule.

Deen.  You have my deepest sympathy!  Been there and all I can say, it takes time, lots of time.:( Having the grandson, should help!  

I have been Class A coaches, since 1967, Charter GS Life, Escapees 201703, NRA Life, FMCA gets complicated because my DW kept her name and I traveled a lot, so she paid the bills...F 6328, mine is F 342963, not that it really matters.

Send me a PM or check my profile for my mail add. anytime you need to talk!

Carl