trishw

Hydraulic Pump Blown & More

Need some help from all you experts out there. Friday, I was driving from TX to CO and just 5 miles from my first campsite stop in Kansas, my check engine light and warning sound went off. I also noticed my steering wheel felt "stiff" and was not turning. I move over to shoulder of the highway and stopped. All of this took probably around 5 minutes as I was trying to figure out what was going on and what to do. My temperature gauge showed the engine at 235/240 degrees.  Coach-net got us towed to the campsite for the nite that evening (after 3.5 hrs stuck on side of road ) and then towed to a Truck Center in Wichita the next morning. 

Truck Center says my Hydraulic pump has a crack in it. (which runs the engine fan and power steering) Just got the part overnighted from Spartan this morning (Tuesday) but due to the high temperature that the engine ran at they are not sure if there is also a blown head gasket and/or possible engine damage. They need to install the new pump before they can test for this. 

My question is, what do you think the odds are there is further damage?     I need to get to where I was going as it was not a "vacation trip"

The only 'stuff' I saw literally blown all over the back of my coach and my towed jeep was a yellowish fluid. There was some green stuff (photo below) on one of the lower beams that I'm not sure what it was but it wasn't the same stuff that was on my towed jeep. I'm worried it came from the gasket head :( Please let me know?

Coach/Engine Info:

2004 Newmar Dutch Star
370-HP  IFS Cummins Engine

Trish, The Green fluid is coolant and the yellow colored fluid is most likely Hydraulic fluid. You mentioned a 5 min. time frame. Was that the length of time you noticed the cooling and steering problem to when you got off the road and shutdown the engine ?

Rich.   

Trish,

I agree with Rich. You got the hydraulic fluid from the cracked pump and most likely the coolant for the over flow from the high heat. A quick test would be to pressure test the coolant system. And to also check the dip stick for signs of coolant.  

Good luck,

Herman 

Trish, sorry to hear about your problem. The fluid looks like antifreeze to me, I would suspect it came from the overflow rather than an external Head gasket leak as a result of the boiling antifreeze high temperature, the radiator cap would release that pressure and if its like my coach it is on the left rear above the trailer hitch is where the overflow tube discharges. At the temp you reached there is a possibility of engine damage, the only way to tell would be to fix the pump, refill with coolant and run the engine, white smoke from the exhaust or crankcase breather would indicate a concern, if nothing from either they should pressure test the cooling system hot and cold to see if it holds pressure to check for any internal engine leaks.  

My Cummins rep just dropped in my office after a meeting with our parts manager, I asked the question, his reply "Almost never, and usually at higher temps than 240 when we would see a problem". Hopefully your gauge is accurate and you were really at 240 and not 300 and you don't have the engine that failed earlier than most.

Joe, I tend to agree, If the engine was shutdown in 5 min. or so to get off the road, it is hard to imagine a blown head gasket or any major damage. Trish did not mention, hot to limp mode to off the road and shutting down.

Rich.  

1 hour ago, Dickandlois said:

Trish, The Green fluid is coolant and the yellow colored fluid is most likely Hydraulic fluid. You mentioned a 5 min. time frame. Was that the length of time you noticed the cooling an steering problem to when you got off the road and shutdown the engine ?

Rich.   

Yes I think it was

1 hour ago, jleamont said:

My Cummins rep just dropped in my office after a meeting with our parts manager, I asked the question, his reply "Almost never, and usually at higher temps than 240 when we would see a problem". Hopefully your gauge is accurate and you were really at 240 and not 300 and you don't have the engine that failed earlier than most.

Thanks for asking him.  The truck center did a check on the engine codes via computer and the temp it said it got to was 235degrees.  The truck center feels I should let them do a full cummins test on engine that takes 5-6hrs to do.  Your thoughts?

45 minutes ago, Dickandlois said:

Joe, I tend to agree, If the engine was shutdown in 5 min. or so to get off the road, it is hard to imagine a blown head gasket or any major damage. Trish did not mention, hot to limp mode to off the road and shutting down.

Rich.  

I sure hope your right.  This is my first trip with all my "kids". And Im about to loose my mind.  Under alot of pressure due to quite a few significant life events besides this fun issue ?

Trish, can you ask them for the make and model of the failed pump? Maybe snap a photo of the ID tag and crack? I remember reading something similar to this before, it could give another person a heads up to keep an eye on it do this doesn't happen to them.

18 minutes ago, jleamont said:

Trish, can you ask them for the make and model of the failed pump? Maybe snap a photo of the ID tag and crack? I remember reading something similar to this before, it could give another person a heads up to keep an eye on it do this doesn't happen to them.

Yes. It is a Cassapa pump (can ONLY be gotten thru Spartan). The Spartan number for this is 1590-FF1-001

The Cassapa number for it is: 67061360

will see if they still have it around for crack photo

24 minutes ago, jleamont said:

Trish, what is the full test they are asking for approval on? Do you have any details?

They say it is a Cummins engine full diagnostic test that is recommended by Cummins (they are a Cummins shop)

Were it me, I would have them install the pump, verify that all is working and then YOU drive it, keeping a close eye on temperature.  Start with a 2-3 mile and back to dealership (unless you are able to check for coolant and oil leaks from engine and check coolant for oil and oil for coolant.  Do a couple of more runs with more miles and declare it good to go.

Yes, you are running a small additional risk if you drive with coolant in oil or oil in coolant, but checking these is likely what they would be doing.

They're not as careful as you, your paying for their time, in the event of an accident your still responsible, and on and on!

Cummins don't pad bills, truck centers do!

Carl