mikeandpams

2017 Jeep Cherokee & Blue Ox

I purchased a 2006 40' Tiffin Phaeton with a Blue Ox towing system (Aventa LX tow bar), and then purchased a 2017 Jeep Cherokee (which can be flat towed).  However, Blue Ox does not have a base plate yet designed for a 2017.  Here is my question...does an older Jeep Cherokee base plate not work?

Thanks much.

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Have you called Blue Ox to verify that as of today they do not have one-- if you just checked online it may not be up to date.

You might check with other tow equipment manufacturers to see if they have a base plate and if so, is it different than that for previous years.

Roadmaster has a pretty good website for checking or give them a call. Also have installation instructions for each on-line.  That may be enough info to crawl under to see if one for the older model will work on yours.

As Brett mentions, call Blue Ox.  They are great folks and easy to work with.  If you are going to be traveling their way and they don't have one, they will give you a free one if you let them use your car as a template!

Also, are you aware of the "death wobble" issue with the newer Jeeps?  Do you know if the problem has been remedied for 2017 or do you still need to have the dealer install the special wiring kit?

All Cherokees (they must have Active Drive II that has a transfer case with Neutral if they are to be towed) have the Electronically Assisted Power Steering and must have the special wiring harness if they are to be towed.   In addition you will need to run a power line from the motorhome to the Cherokee battery.   We installed RVI's charge system on our 2014 Limited and it worked well.  From what I've been able to determine you may have to pay for the harness and its installation.  Check the brochure for 2017 as well as the Owner's Manual to see what it says.  The earlier manuals make it clear that you must have the wiring harness installed or any damage (from the death wobble) will not be covered under the warranty.  In addition, you are on your own for getting power to the battery.  Owners with the wiring harness and no external power found the battery could run down in three hours.  

Does the dealer you purchased the Cherokee from know that you plan to tow it?    If it did they should have advised you on the requirements.  In August we were at an RV park in Michigan and a fellow had a new MH and a new Cherokee and he had never heard of the wobble problem  (most owners have not encountered it but those who have found it could be severe).   I don't think he believed me when I explained the issue and off he went a couple of days later.   I had contacted Jeep and it was during that communication I learned that after a set date (don't know what it is though) buyers will have to pay for the wiring harness and its installation.   If the dealer had never down one be prepared for a good whack as my dealer took about five hours for the install.   The next one is much less due to the learning time needed for the first one.  I'd suggest buyers who intend to tow negotiate the installation of the wiring harness and a battery charge system at the time of purchase of the Cherokee.   

The Blue Ox website indicates very few base plates are available for 2017 models. The following is copied from their website:

If you do not see your vehicle listed on our website, please contact Blue Ox’s Fit Department by e-mail or at 800-228-9289 as your vehicle may qualify for our fit program. Eligible customer’s will receive a custom made baseplate and an Aventa LX towbar in addition to a 25% discount on all product purchased for bringing their vehicle to our factory for the fit design.

I have a 2015 Jeep Cherokee that has the wiring harness which was installed at no charge by Jeep. I never experienced the wobble with over 8000 miles of towing before installation. I have since towed several full days of over 7 hours of driving and never had a battery problem and I do not have a coach supplied battery feed. The Jeep has been an excellent SUV.