Sign in to follow this  
bmcasebeer@yahoo.com

Continental tires

I am considering replacing the front tires on our MH with Continental HSL 2 and would appreciate opinions. They are Goodyear G670 275/R80 22.5 and 4+ years and starting to show some rivering, no signs of cracking but would rather err on the safe side and replace before next spring. I have had good luck with the Goodyears and have Michelins on one of our cars but not sure I am willing to pay the huge uplift for Michelin RV tires and not convinced the G670 is all that good of a steer tire. I stopped by Southwest tire locally and they quoted me a price of about $775 out the door (includes $100 for old tires) for 2 HS2 275/R80 22.5 G rated. Compared to the G70 it looks like I will lose about 300 lbs (6175 per continental tire at 110 lbs) capacity per tire at the same air pressure. I was not aware this tire is also available in an H rating and upgrading to the H rated Continental increases the load capacity by almost 1,000 lbs (per tire) over the G rated tire at the same air pressure. My front weight is just shy of 10,000 fully loaded and the front axle is rated at 12,000 lbs. The capacity of the G Continental would be about 12,350 or about 350 lbs over the capacity of the axle. Would it be a wiser choice to go with the H rated tire? An upside with the H rated Continental tire is that I could run the tires at a lower tire pressure and possibly a better ride.

Mark

'06 HR Endeavor

An upside with the H rated Continental tire is that I could run the tires at a lower tire pressure and possibly a better ride

This would be a huge consideration for me if I were in your shoes. I recently had to buy front tires in a hurry (I don't recommend this) and paid $870 for a set of the Michelin XRVs in 22.5 while we were on vacation. I wished I had time to ask questions and do the research before I bought them but I was in a pinch. If I had known of the H rated tires I probably would have gone that route as running a lower pressure for a better ride sure sounds good to me!