PinkArnold

Generator Belts, Crankcase Breather, etc - Feb 2017 Article

I enjoyed the article "Servicing an Onan Diesel Generator" in the February 2017 issue of FamilyMOTORCoaching, however didn't find any reference to service procedures regarding the V-belt, coolant hoses, thermostat. I'm not sure why the article didn't at least make some mention of these maintenance items.

My Cummins Onan RV QD 6000 (HDKAH) in my 2012 Tiffin Allegro Breeze has ~ 725 hours on it and  is coming up on 5 years old, which according to the owners manual is due  (1000 hours or 5 years) for 1) Replacement of the Engine V-belt, 2) Clean Crankcase Breather and 3) Replace Coolant Hoses and Thermostat, in addition to other more routine service procedures. 

The manual states that the 3 procedures I've listed "must be performed by a qualified mechanic" (authorized Onan dealer) and perhaps that is why the article didn't mention them?

Although I change my own generator oil as well as the filters (oil, air, fuel), I'm not necessarily comfortable with tackling the "more involved" items above. I anticipate that Cummins will probably have to drop the generator to achieve the belt change etc? My generator is NOT on a slide. 

I'd appreciate any thoughts, insight, or advice regarding these service items to help me be better informed when I contact Cummins. 

Thanks,

PinkArnold

The belt  change on my 04 Holiday Rambled took me less than a hour to change.  Generator in on a slide is the rear is easily accessible once you get the top cover loose so you can remove the rear cover. More time is required dealing with the cover than changing the belt. The beltway around $10 from Cummings.

Jim