Sign in to follow this  
tadixon@shaw.ca

Durango as a tow along

i have been towing my 2005 Dodge Durango. After 6 to 8 hours, the battery id flat.

The key needs to be in the unlocked "Off" position.

There is nothing in the manual about pulling a fuse.

I was wondering if anyone know what fuses need to be removed or a product to charge from the motorhome??

Thanks

I pull an old 1993 Toyota Land Cruiser four down, with at Brake Buddy because it weighs 5400 pounds.

The Toyota has a tired battery, and rather than risk running it down with the Brake Buddy, and losing my brakes, I ran a #10 wire from the coach batteries to power it. I debated pulling power off of the magnetic lights I use for the towed, but decided to do a properly fused dedicated wire.

An Echo charger could be powered from the coach to your dingy battery, if it was properly isolated.

Works for me, YMMV

Chrysler decided that it was cheaper to remove the ignition key position that allowed the wheel to be unlocked but did not turn on any electrical equipment. They did it to the Jeep model lineup in '07, but I think some of the Dodges were so equipped earlier. Your owner's manual should have told you to disconnect your battery while towing, as my Jeep manual does. I simply start my Jeep and let it idle for a few minutes whenever I stop for a break, fuel, etc. I also have a Battery Brain that is supposed to automatically disconnect the battery when it still has enough "juice" to start the engine. Roadmaster (800.669.9690) is offering a fuse kit for some models that eliminates the need to disconnect the battery, but I don't have a list of the available models.

I saw this battery charging set-up http://www.lslproducts.com/ (I think it was in Good Sam's Highways) and have been considering it, but have not tried it. It seems like it would take care of a problem like yours. My Chevy Trailblazer does not require the ignition to be unlocked since the wheels are not locked, but one overnight stay when I first started towing, I drained the battery when the toad's brake lights were on for some extended period (I didn't move the seat back and due to temp changes there was just enough pressure on the brake pedal to turn on the lights).

:rolleyes: