Sign in to follow this  
darrylfrench1957@gmail.com

Past magazine issues

I am looking for a June 2004 issue that has a artical about adding a buzzer to the turn signal flasher unit. The flasher unit in my 99 Tradewinds is the old type with 2 spade connectors. Would it be easier to connect the buzzer with 2 diodes near the dash indicators? I found that method on another site I was looking at and that gentleman refered to the June 2004 issue of FMC if mine is the old-fashioned flasher. His, apparentlly, is a new solid-state type that is silent.

The entry below from the November 2004 Tech & Travel Tips column may be what he was recalling. FMC magazine has had several references to turn signal alerts over the years. Also, a commercial product is available from Daeco. It's called the Turn-Alarm, and more information is available at www.turnalarm.com. Hope this helps. Pamela Kay, FMCA, Director of Communications, Publishing

Inaudible Turn Signals

Many RV drivers find it difficult, if not impossible, to hear the clicking sound from factory-installed turn signals. It is not uncommon to see RVs traveling for miles with the turn signal flashing, because the driver is unaware that the turn signal is on.

One solution is to supplement the factory flashers with an additional audio device such as the RadioShack Mini 12-volt-DC Electric Buzzer (part number 273-055A). Solder the buzzer leads to the flasher as close to the body of the flasher as possible; secure the mini buzzer to the flasher with a tie-wrap; and reinstall the flasher.

William J. Paton, F203866

Titusville, Florida