MONTIE

Problems Towing 2011 Malibu

I am asking this question for a friend who just bought a 2011 Malibu for a towed car. He got a new tow bar and electrical hookup and everything worked. When he followed the owners manual and pulled the correct fuse everything still worked. The Malibu he traded in when the fuse was pulled everything went dead, transmission in neutral and the key positioned in the accessory position.

I pull a Saturn Vue and followed the manual and when I arrived my battery was dead. Has anyone out there bought a new Malibu to pull and followed the direction and everything worked as it was suppose too?

I am asking this question for a friend that just bought a 2011 Malibu for a tow car. He got a new tow bar and electrical hook up and everything worked. When he followed the owners manual and pulled the correct fuse everything still worked. The Malibu he traded in when the fuse was pulled everything went dead, transmission in neutral and the key positioned in the accessory position. I pull a Saturn Vue and followed the manual and when I arrived my battery was dead. Has anyone out there bought a new Malibu to pull and followed the direction and everything worked as it was suppose too.

I tow a Saturn SC2 sports car and all I have to do is put it in neutral, park brake off, and put the key half way between accessory and on so that dash lights and over head lights go off and the steering column is unlocked. Never a dead battery and we might tow for several days without unhooking it. We also hook up the brake buddy but that isn't what you asked about. MY thinking is that the malibu ought to be the same. Perhaps the manual will let you know if anything is different about it.

Bebop Bill Forrest, CAlifornia

I have a 2009 Malibu I pull and everything works the way it should when I pull the fuse. By the way tell him to install a switch in line with the fuse, where he can reach it. I question if he may have the wrong fuse pulled. It is very hard to see which is the correct one.

Which fuse are you pulling?

I have a Volvo XC90, that I pull on a dolly. I have to put the key in and turn to the accessory position, in order to put the trans in neutral, so the rear wheels will turn. For battery health, I have run a wire from the trailer hitch fitting on the dolly to the positive battery terminal, and another from ground to ground. I have now permanently attached this pair of wires at both ends, with a dual connector in the middle so when I am mounting the car on the dolly, one simple plug-in does the connection.

Sounds like we could each check out the other's solution to see which is more effective/efficient.

I am asking this question for a friend who just bought a 2011 Malibu for a towed car. He got a new tow bar and electrical hookup and everything worked. When he followed the owners manual and pulled the correct fuse everything still worked. The Malibu he traded in when the fuse was pulled everything went dead, transmission in neutral and the key positioned in the accessory position.

I pull a Saturn Vue and followed the manual and when I arrived my battery was dead. Has anyone out there bought a new Malibu to pull and followed the direction and everything worked as it was suppose too?

I too just bought a 2011 Malibu with the same experiences ... I pulled the fuse and everything still functioned looking for advice and guidance ONLY on the Malibu. My Saturn is totally different.