Sign in to follow this  
stevegoldberg1@gmail.com

Battery Isolator Relay

I need help from someone who knows!!

2003 Fleetwood American Eagle. That year they used a Power Gear battery control center. My house batteries will charge on shore power and with the generator, but not from engine power. Earlier this year I replaced the circuit board ($455) because there was some corrosion, but the problem is back.

With the engine off, I measure 12.9V across both terminals of the relay. after 15 seconds, the relay shuts (or opens) and I get 12.9v at one relay, but only 6.9V on the other terminal. There is a harness going to the circuit board, and when I disconnect that, the relay opens (or closes), and I then get 12.9V across both terminals, but then 15 seconds later, the relay again closes (opens?) and the 6.9V comes back to the s\2nd terminal. So I have had folks tell me I need a new relay. I called Power Gear. They agreed it was probably a relay issue, not the circuit board. A new relay from Power Gear costs $680!!!. There are other 200A relays on the market for RVs ranging from $50 to $200. Don't they all do the same thing? Power Gear says that the relay is activated whenever the current goes below 13.3V. Isn't that controlled by the circuit board?

Do I really need to spend almost $700 for a relay? Please help.........

The usual failure mode for relay's is burned or dirty contacts. Before I spent that kind of money I would remove the relay, open the cover and clean the contacts with an emory board. Use the smooth side. Your symptoms scream dirty contacts.

Howard