Sign in to follow this  
Charliem06

Traveling CA-101 North From Ventura, CA

Question

We are presently near Ventura, CA and want to take CA-101 north. We plan on traveling as far north as southwestern Oregon then back south to Carmel.

We will be starting the trip March 23 and will be back to Carmel May 27. We start a workamping job not too far from San Fran. on June 4th through Sept.

Is anyone familiar with this route and are there things we should be aware of?

We are traveling in a 38' 2009 Winnebago Adventurer and are towing an SUV.

Thanks.

6 answers to this question

Guest BillAdams

101 is a great and easy drive. Go, enjoy, have fun. When you come South I would recommend (many others will not) that you take PCH1 along the coast from Monterey, CA to Morrow Bay, CA. Take your time, it's plenty wide but you have to be aware of the curves ahead and ensure you and the oncoming traffic have room. There are plenty of pull-offs if you are holding up traffic so don't worry too much. It's a beautiful drive that I think you will enjoy.

You may want to check and make sure Highway 101 is open. Last I heard a part of it will be closed for repair for about a month starting this week.

Guest BillAdams

You may want to check and make sure Highway 101 is open. Last I heard a part of it will be closed for repair for about a month starting this week.

I may be mistaken but I believe that it is PCH1 and not 101 that is closed in CA but you are correct that it's worth checking.

I agree. I heard it was the Pacific Coast Highway, SR1 that will be closed for some time. And the latest round of storms there will only delay the process.

Even if it was open, I would not recommend anyone driving any coach over 25 feet with tow vehicle. Unless you are in good shape, and considerably above average in keeping your vehicle in your lane on numerous hairpin turns that are narrow and sharp, I would not recommend SR1 from Monterey to Morrow Bay. Most commercial trucks are banned for that reason.

And even if you have a very short tow vehicle, you will be over 50 feet combined length and their is no place to pull over and rest/view the scenery unless you find a pullout void of any cars. And that never happens.

It is a beautiful drive in good weather in a tow vehicle. Safely piloting a large vehicle on that road, and all you will see is pavement and the copilot will have a wonderful view.

Charlie,

There is another recent discussion thread on this subject. See the post dated March 21 entitled "Vegas to LA and up the Coast to Oregon".

I was there last month. We left our toad at Morro Bay and drove north to Big Sur. The roadway is one lane in several places due to repairs and two bridges under construction. It may well be closed, as others indicated above.

We talked with another RV'er to took his 40'+toad up Hwy 1 to Big Sur. I'm glad we didn't. So . . . while it can be done, its a tough drive and (as far as I know) there is nowhere to park your 38' coach along way. The state parks in that area don't take MH's your size. Also, with all the rain recently, there may be other road challenges.

I also drove Hwy 1 north from Santa Cruz to San Francisco recently. That road is all fine as of three weeks ago.

I would head north from Ventura to Morro Bay on Hwy 1. Then take Hwy 101 to Carmel/Monterrey, and then head back to Hwy 1 to see the coastline.

Happy travels.

Tim