duncanlc

Surge Brakes vs Electric On Dolly

We just acquired a diesel pusher (Itasca Meridian 39z). We have a 2010 Jetta Wagon (automatic) so must use a dolly. We drive on the West Coast, lots of hills.

If we are going downhill and use the exhaust brake often, would a dolly with surge brakes or one with electric brakes be preferred?

Also are there dolly's that are better for a low car such as the VW?

Thanks!

I am also a newbie here. Just bought a DP (98 Beaver Contessa) in California, so had to get the car home to BC. Volvo XC90, needs at least the front wheels off the ground, so I bought a dolly with electric brakes. I had an electric brake controller added, connects at the brake pedal. When the Exhaust brake is on, the controller lights up to show that the electric brakes on the dally are also on.

There might be another brake control that you will need to accomplish this on your coach, as I was told by the vendor of my coach that he had added a controller to his brake light system that keeps the brake lights on when the exhaust brakes are on but his foot is not on the pedal. He had a M&G air system for his toad. The coach is air over hydraulic.

Hope this helps.

Keith