Sign in to follow this  
Supershell

Military Funerals

I have been seeing on TV and reading in newspapers about some people who are trying to get publicity by disrupting the funerals of military heros. They do this by surrounding the funeral participants with signs, bullhorns and shouting and ringing bells.

This is an affront to every citizen who has lost a relative in any conflict from the Revolutionary War to the present time.

As owners of motorhomes we are in a position to peacefully counteract this despicable behavior. The following is the method that occurs to me: We could arrange a wall of motorhomes parked nose to tail surrounding the site of the funeral, thereby depriving those who would disrupt the funerals. A line of 20- to 45-foot coaches that are 12 feet high and 9 feet wide would put a damper on the action of the publicity hounds.

This would have to be organized on a local basis with no connection with FMCA because of tax and liability matters, but I am just suggesting a method of negating some of the behavior that gives our country a bad name. The motorcyclists have started doing this in some locations. Our vehicles are bigger than theirs, why can't we do the same job?

Guest Wayne77590

I'm not sure if it is the same organization, but the Westboro Baptist Church, if that is what they think they should be called, runs protests at military funerals around the country. In Texas, they are required to stay 300 feet (of some number) from the church, and/or graveside services. You can Google Westboro Baptist and see what the do. It is disgraceful, but according to "law" they are exercising their rights.

Also exercising their rights are a group of motorcyclists called The Patriot Guard Riders. When I was riding, I was a member of the Patriot Guards. The Patriot Guards will set up a screen of people and the U.S.Flag to hide the protestors from the grieving families. The Westboro Baptist Church will have despicable signs and one sign reads, "Thank God for IED's." And they can get away with it.

I thought that there would be city ordinances that would prohibit loud exhibitionism.

We have become a permissive society.