Sign in to follow this  
kcsails

Satelite Upgrade Help

We have a KVH Tracvision L3 satellite dome on the 2000 38' Monaco diplomat that we bought in January.

We have been told that the L3 is upgradable so that we can get Direct TV.

Has anyone done this?

Are there any issues we should be aware of?

Guest BillAdams

The L3 has always been capable of receiving DirecTV or Dish Network. If you mean that it required a special DirecTV receiver and you want to upgrade the unit to handle your new DirecTV receiver then you would contact KVH but I suspect you could almost buy a new antenna for what these hardware updates cost.

If you are trying to update your KVH to be able to receive the DirecTV HD programming, that is impossible. There is no dome available in the RV market that will allow this option.

I had the same problem, I can only get Dish @61.5 which is HD at home. I went to the Winegard mini max I am very happy with it. Simple to install and set up. Winegard gives prompt response to questions.

Does the KVH R5 get Dish or Direct HD?

I have recently bought my first coach, it has this KVH on the roof, but the PO kept his box (Direct, I think). Al I can find on the KVH links is that Direct doesn't do HD. I am in Canada, and friends tell me Bell doesn't do the states on a Canadian plan, so I should use Direct or Dish. Does Dish do HD? Does Bell?

Guest BillAdams

No dome on the RV market today can receive the DirecTV HD programming (SD programming is not an issue) or the Canadian Star Choice programming (of any kind). All of the domes manufactured in recent past can receive all of the Dish Network and Bell Express VU programming. There are a number of restrictions when using a dome with Bell or Dish since they use multiple satellites and domes can only point to one at a time. As long as you use only one single tuner receiver with your dome you should not have any issues.