Sign in to follow this  
jimpat4649

Comparisons of DISH & DIRECTV?

Guest BillAdams

No problem! If you have any other questions just let us know. B)

Guest BillAdams

No need to compare US and Canadian services. Apples and Oranges.

Has anyone compared DISH vs DIRECTV; as far as prices and programming?

I have had experience with both. I currently have Direct because we have it our house. Also the wife is familiar with it and believe me that was the straw breaker. If you are fulltime I believe either service is good even though there are reports that when you are in a fringe reception area Direct will provide better service. I never had that problem with Dish. If you are not fulltime Direct will not, anymore, allow you to receive the major network channels unless you open a separate account from your house account. Dish so I have been told will allow you to receive the major networks on one account. If you are fulltime it does not matter because you can get the major networks since the motorhome is your house. Another factor would be your receiving dish and it's capabilities. Just some more thoughts to consider as you make your decision.

Guest BillAdams

Neither service will allow you to receive local and distant networks on the same account. Error always happen with either service but the law (regulations) do not allow any one account to be set up for both.

Dish Network N. of the US border is nearly worthless while DirecTV can be used (depending upon the antenna used) as far N. as Edmonton. Dish Network HD programming can be much more difficult to deal with if you travel E coast to W coast whereas the DirecTV satellites are more centrally located and available most anywhere you have a clear view of the Southern sky.

Neither service will allow you to receive local and distant networks on the same account. Error always happen with either service but the law (regulations) do not allow any one account to be set up for both.

Dish Network N. of the US border is nearly worthless while DirecTV can be used (depending upon the antenna used) as far N. as Edmonton. Dish Network HD programming can be much more difficult to deal with if you travel E coast to W coast whereas the DirecTV satellites are more centrally located and available most anywhere you have a clear view of the Southern sky.

Bill:

I take issue with what you are saying. If you are fulltime you can get the east or west coast or both network channels( NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX and one other one which excapes me) on the same account, unless they have changed the rules in the last month. When you have the primary account tied to a permanent house address Direct will not allow it and maybe Dish. When the primary account is tied to a mobile account there are different rules.

Guest BillAdams

You can take all the issues you like but what I posted is exactly correct. That is not to say that accounting errors have not been made and some users of both services are receiving both, but the law (regulation) specifically forbids users of one account receiving both local Networks and distant Networks.

If you are not already a DirecTV DNS subscriber you can no longer receive both E and W DNS but will receive one or the other based upon your service address time zone. As Dish Network takes back control of the DNS services from All American Direct, what you can and cannot receive will be determined very soon.

Has anyone compared DISH vs DIRECTV; as far as prices and programming?

Not sure where you are in your decision process but rather than listen to a lot of wrong opinions just call Direct TV or Dish ask for mobile service department. They will tell you what you can or can not receive as far as Distant networks channels are concerned provided you are fulltimer. If you do make that call give us a report back on your findings. It should interesting!

I did when I signed up with Dish. I picked them for two reasons - first the price was better for the type of programing I desired. That might not be the case for everyone though. The second reason was more HD programming available through my KVH dish. Dish has since changed the angle of the HD satellite a couple of times requiring an additional hardware "investment" or a software "investment" at an authorized facility. I'm still good in the Eastern half of the US though. Other and newer dish antennas might yield different results. I've been satisified with the product, but be warned a lot of problems with Dish and their billing and customer service.