Sign in to follow this  
RichardWatt

Brake Light Switch Location

Richard, welcome to the FMCA forums.

We had a '93 Seabreeze on the P30 chassis. As I recall the brake switch is mounted under the dash, close to the brake pedal assembly. Just like most cars and light trucks. It will have two wires coming from it. One will be battery 12vdc (always hot), the other should read 12vdc (or current battery level) when the brake pedal is applied. If you push the pedal with your hand and have no effect try it again with the engine running. Some vacuum boosters are stiff and need the powered assist to close the brake switch with lower than normal pedal pressure. If you do have voltage output from the switch and no lights, I would have someone push the brake pedal and check both light fixtures with a volt meter with the bulbs removed (fixtures do go bad though normally not both at the same time).

If battery voltage is not on either side of the brake switch, go back to the fuse panel. Make sure you check both sides of the brake fuse before ruling it out. If no power there, then the likely cause would be an open fusible link, but typically that issue would result in several devices having no power.

Edited: As I recall the Seabreeze has a 3 way brake/turn system with no amber turn signal lights. I think it is similar to most Ford trucks I've owned in that brake light voltage also goes through a pair of contacts on the "emergency flash" switch. Turn on that switch and note if the brake lamps in the front and rear flash. That is a quick check of brake lamps, fixtures, and wire harnesses. But keep in mind the brake switch voltage comes from a different fuse -- at least on Fords. In a 3 way circuit (vs 4 way with separate amber lights) the brake light signal also is affected by the turn signal switch.

When we purchased our Seabreeze I ordered the "P30 Chassis Wiring Manual" from Helm, Inc. Came in handy many times. It went with the coach to another owner. A lifesaver when you have electrical problems. Check out http://www.helminc.com/helm/welcome_select_oem.asp?Style=helm

Also, have you had any work done on the brake light system lately such as tow vehicle wiring install or modifications? Any electrical work? If so I would back track from that point.

Chuck